Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)  (Read 3689 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:04:17 am »

Since it was shot at ISO 6400 this one has a bit of a problem with noise, though Nik's Dfine helps.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Patricia Sheley

Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:22:14 am »

No Name Key ?
A common woman~

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:22:59 am »

Nice shot!  Catching the people interacting and involved, in this natural scene, is much more real than those mis-en-scene images that have been so popular.  The lighting and exposure are good, especially when considering the inside-outside contrast.

I have done my share of restaurant shots, and if I can locate one that I particularly like I'll post it here.

By the way, the resemblance of the man to old pictures of James Dean is quite high.

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 11:36:59 am »

A winner, Russ, right on the money.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:29 am »

No wonder there are so many people breaking in across the borders; that image proves that the walls, if not the streets, are paved with gold. A curious custom; does it bear a trace memory of the European tradition prevalent some years ago where destitute artists would pay for meals by sticking canvases up on the restaurant walls in lieu of cash payment? Many a French establishment has weathered war and financial storm by hanging (no pun etc.) on to its Impressionists...

Rob C 

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:21:52 pm »

Since it was shot at ISO 6400 this one has a bit of a problem with noise, though Nik's Dfine helps.
I like natural light, and this is one reason I have just bought a GH2 and GF2, but I also like MF, so I have 4 Metz flashes I could use in this type of situation... I am also getting the adapter to let me use the Metzs with the Gh2!
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

walter.sk

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:26:39 pm »

Aha!  Found the one I remembered.  I was watching the 42nd street security guy when a waitress went up to the window and gazed out.  I think my camera strap got marinara sauce on it when I shot, but it was worth it.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »

I like natural light, and this is one reason I have just bought a GH2 and GF2, but I also like MF, so I have 4 Metz flashes I could use in this type of situation... I am also getting the adapter to let me use the Metzs with the Gh2!

But Dick, how could you set up four strobes and expect to catch anything that's real?

Rob C

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 05:29:44 pm »

But Dick, how could you set up four strobes and expect to catch anything that's real?

Rob C
I do appreciate that "street" photograph is about spontaneity... and a Hi-ISO large aperture camera is a good tool for that... but if you hand-hold one flash, have one round your neck (or under the camera) and you positioned the other two to light the background in advance...

One flash is, sometimes, adequate,,, but it would be better if they put a hot shoe on the bottom of the camera for low fill. (I sometimes resort to holding the camera upside-down!)

RSL

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:42:16 pm »

Dick, There are three problems with using flash in street photography: (1) You destroy the ambient light, which completely changes the scene you saw in your viewfinder. (2) It annoys the hell out of the subject(s). (3) It alerts everyone within visual distance that you're shooting pictures. Once they know that, one of two things happens: they chase you with baseball bats or, worse, they pose for you. Once they start posing the game's over.

popnfresh

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 05:56:56 pm »

It's an interesting snippet of middle American life and I find myself wondering where this was taken. I count three American flags, plus what looks like a picture of an American GI with angel's wings holding a rifle on the wall next to an army recruiting poster--that's something you don't see every day. And of course there's all those dollars. That's a clue that this restaurant is nowhere near me. Those greenbacks would be gone before they were tacked up, practically. I'm guessing that the restaurant is near an Army base and frequented by military families. Or maybe it's actually on an Army base. The bare pine framing seen through the window looks like Army base architecture to me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:09:12 pm by popnfresh »

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 06:04:30 pm »

... but if you hand-hold one flash, have one round your neck (or under the camera) and you positioned the other two to light the background in advance...

In advance of what? I personally don't do street photography, but was a photojournalist for almost 20-years and can tell you from experience that anything can happen anywhere, in any direction. Regardless of the appropriateness of artificial light, it is simply not possible to "plan" lighting for random and spontaneous events. However, if you do have that gift, I'd gladly appreciate the winning numbers for next weeks lottery ;D

Predictions aside, Russ is absolutely correct about the negative issues with using artificial lights in such situations. I once heard a street photographer compare himself to a spy. He's only effective if nobody knows he exists.
"The real voyage of discove

RSL

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:39:04 pm »

It's an interesting snippet of middle American life and I find myself wondering where this was taken. I count three American flags, plus what looks like a picture of an American GI with angel's wings holding a rifle on the wall next to an army recruiting poster--that's something you don't see every day. And of course there's all those dollars. That's a clue that this restaurant is nowhere near me. Those greenbacks would be gone before they were tacked up, practically. I'm guessing that the restaurant is near an Army base and frequented by military families. Or maybe it's actually on an Army base. The bare pine framing seen through the window looks like Army base architecture to me.

Pop, I shot the picture in the little town of Jefferson, Texas, on the way home from Florida to Colorado. I was surprised that the feds hadn't gotten on their case about the mutilation of some of those dollar bills, but I'd guess an agent would be leery of spoiling the fun. Never did find out why all those bills were on the walls -- all around a large room. Here are a couple more from the same town. One's an abandoned antique store. The other's an absolutely fabulous hardware store with loads of real old-timey stuff plus a candy and fast food bar. I hated to leave Jefferson, but we had to push on. I may go back and do an overnight there sometime.

degrub

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »

Here's the story on the dollar bills -

"The walls of this humble eatery on the edge of Jefferson’s historic downtown are papered with dollar bills left by previous patrons. such Gimmicks are commonly used to deflect attention from so-so food. But this beauty of a burger has all the right stuff: a pillow-soft bun toasted on the inside, a tomato slice that nearly rivals the bread in diameter, four pickles placed just so, a judicious separation of mayo and mustard, and an asymmetric patty bearing the savory splotches of a greasy, flavor-enhancing griddle. Turns out there’s an endearing story behind that expensive wallpaper: In 2005, after the owners served up more than two thousand free meals to Katrina evacuees, grateful visitors started leaving the bills as a love offering.
http://www.texasmonthly.com/2009-08-01/feature-3.php
"
Like all small towns there is some interesting history to be had -

http://www.asup-inc.org/jefferson.htm

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:59:13 pm by degrub »

popnfresh

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 02:27:55 am »

Jefferson looks like a fascinating town. That hardware store is amazing. I might have to go there myself.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 02:48:47 am »

Dick, There are three problems with using flash in street photography: (1) You destroy the ambient light, which completely changes the scene you saw in your viewfinder.
Yes, I know, I bought the GH2 and GHF2 largely to use with natural light, but you can use flash to supplement rather than destroy ambient.
(2) It annoys the hell out of the subject(s).
Usually, yes...
(3) It alerts everyone within visual distance that you're shooting pictures. Once they know that, one of two things happens: they chase you with baseball bats or, worse, they pose for you. Once they start posing the game's over.
Sometimes you have to get it right first time.

I did not buy the kit for candid street photography and intend to use the technique for seated diners at wedding receptions where flash photography is acceptable.

I am thinking about doing a calender for the town, featuring the local businesses and their waitresses, barmaids, shop assistants.

stamper

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 05:31:26 am »

How did you get James Dean to pose for you?  ;) To my knowledge he hasn't been photographed for about fifty years? This is obviously an American restaurant because of the smoking illusion. This is one thing I enjoy in Scotland. No smoking in a restaurant or anywhere indoors. An nice image that the owners might be interested in to hang on their walls? :)

degrub

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 08:06:35 am »

look closer it is a cardboard poster.

stamper

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 08:09:21 am »

look closer it is a cardboard poster.

You obviously don't understand the smilies? :) wink wink

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »

Stamper - then you'd love Spain: they banned smoking in bars and restaurants despite the local mirror reaction of the UK owners who predicted doom and gloom if the stinking weed were banned.

It's quite funny to see grown men scurry outside and have a puff; how bloody pathetic. My favourite lunch place has never been more crowded so early and the food even tastes better without the added garnish of foul air. If it saves even one kid from catching the habit it'll have been worth it, but I'm afraid that it won't do it: boys think it makes them look macho and girls think it's cool. More young women seem to smoke here than do the men. Clearly, there's nobody better able to condemn the habit than one who has long chucked it.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up