Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC Crystalline  (Read 2159 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
BC Crystalline
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:29:46 am »

I have been waiting many weeks for BC to re-stock this canvas so I can try it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth waiting for?
Mike

stefano

Re: BC Crystalline
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:29:03 pm »

I have been waiting for a shipment of Crystalline for more than a month now, and hope to see some soon. I am intrigued at the idea of not having to coat the canvas, at least for those application where max scratch resistance is not needed. Hope that it is all that it is made up to be - I had a sample from BC in my hands and it seemed to be pretty resistant to bending and handling abuse... it could save a lot of time!

Stefano

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:20:28 pm »

I got a call from BC today and was told it will only be a couple more weeks. I want to try it for the same reasons that you mentioned.

chez

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:04:04 pm »

I have been waiting many weeks for BC to re-stock this canvas so I can try it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth waiting for?
Mike

Mike, I've tried the glossy version and was not at all impressed. I did not like the texture nor the colour from the canvas. Stick to lyve and coat with either Timeless or Glamour II.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:44 pm »

I've yet to see a gloss or semi-gloss canvas that I would want to use for normal work, but I'm at least a little curious about the texture.  Coarse?  Irregular?  What about it do you find unappealing?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:53:38 pm »

I tried a sample roll a few weeks ago.  Definitely needs to be coated, for instance wiping gently with a dry cloth transfered coloration to the cloth, and I didn't have to press very hard to cause abrasions.  And very easily damaged with a moist cloth.

Very punchy image, similar to Lyve, punchy print fans will like it.

Very rigid feeling substrate and a rather unusual texture that was more "pebbly" than "weavey" but still in the canvas ballpark.  Don't have any samples where I am now, sorry.

I also didn't like the way light coming from my behind me hazed the uncoated surface.  Would definitely coat it if only for viewability.

But the basic claim for not needing to be coated was not really vindicated.  A little tougher than your average uncoated canvas, but the problem exists that people have come to regard coated canvas as a lot tougher than uncoated Crystalline really is, and that could lead to problems in the field with cleaning attempts.

Does anybody know why they pulled it?

ftbt

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:36:52 am »

... Definitely needs to be coated, for instance wiping gently with a dry cloth transfered coloration to the cloth, and I didn't have to press very hard to cause abrasions.  And very easily damaged with a moist cloth. ...

Well, if that is the case, then what's the advantage? I ordered some sample rolls about 3 weeks ago and I was told they had none of the product left in stock, and that it would be several weeks before they had any more. Sort of ... don't call us ... we'll call you when we have it back in stock. I guess that means that they either had a small amount of it and it quickly sold out ... or that that perhaps there were issues with it that still need to be sorted out and it is not quite ready for prime-time.

However, if it really needs to be coated, I guess I will just stick with Lyve and Glamour 2.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:38:48 am by ftbt »

Light Seeker

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:03:26 am »

or that that perhaps there were issues with it that still need to be sorted out and it is not quite ready for prime-time.

That is what I understood when I called 2 or 3 weeks back.

Terry.

stefano

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:12:50 pm »

I just spoke to BC and it appears that Crystalline is still a few weeks away, apparently due to QC issues. I converted my order to Lyve + Timeless varnish as I am out of canvas and have a couple of orders to fulfill... Also, from various comments and discussions with BC, sounds like Lyve + Timeless is still the most durable combination.
Despite the allure of a no coat canvas, sounds like top quality will still require the extra step of coating.

Stefano

MrIconoclast

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:23 am »

If I read the BC website correctly, the product still needs to be coated for maximum UV and abrasion resistance.  Correct?  And it must be coated using a sprayer, not the roller method. Correct?

stefano

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 11:48:22 am »

If I read the BC website correctly, the product still needs to be coated for maximum UV and abrasion resistance.  Correct?  And it must be coated using a sprayer, not the roller method. Correct?

That appears to be correct, according to both other people's experience here and to comments from BC customer service (for best results). It appears that the promise of a no-coat canvas is valid only if one accepts a compromise in terms of image longevity and image resistance. Given that all my canvas presentation do not include glass (i either gallery wrap or mount to a board and frame) coating is still necessary, and at that point Lyve seems a better candidate.
I too read the web site as implying that pigment adhesion to crystalline is such that the rubbing of a brush or roller would remove the pigment, and thus spraying is the only recommended method with Crystalline.

Oh well, it just means that to get top quality one needs to invest some effort - and my customers are willing to appreciate the effort that goes in a quality product!

Stefano
Pages: [1]   Go Up