Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inkjet paper similar to Fuji Crystal Archive Super Type PD (Pearl/Lustre finish)  (Read 15189 times)

Fabrice

I am printing actor headshots for casting directors on an Epson R3000 and would like find a paper that has similar qualities to machine prints on Fuji Crystal Archive Super Type PD paper.  

This paper has a nice pearl finish, vibrant colours, deep blacks, and reproduces skin tones very well.  It also has good heft to it.

Anyone have any thoughts on which inkjet paper would provide the closest match?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:28:53 pm by Fabrice »

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com

I did some filtering on my inkjet spreadsheet (www.danecreekfolios.com/inkjet-paper-list/). Have you looked at Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl? It's 290gsm (reasonably heavy), RC-based, glossy, with a light texture.

Another option might be Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl (285 gsm, alpha cellulose, glossy, light texture).

Another option coudl be Red River 75lb. Artic Polar Lustre (300gsm, unknown content, glossy, light texture). Since it's just actor headshots this paper may be the best bang for the buck.

(Note that I've never seen the Fuji paper in person so I can't comment on how exact a match these are, but given its description and your requirements the above papers appear to be reasonable options).

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

howardm

I would think the Arctic Polar (which I've used quite a bit of) tends toward too bright white but there are other papers in the RR line (get a sampler box).  The Ilford is very nice and not expensive as is the Canson Baryta (*very* similar to the Ilford) (but that and the Hahn may be too expensive for this application).

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com

I would 2nd the Red River Artic Polar Luster, Ultra Pro Satin and Artic Polar Satin : http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/photo-satin-luster-inkjet-papers.html

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

There are many great inkjet papers out there that will come close to the Fuji, but it's tough to match the perfectly smooth beautiful finish of the photo-paper.  Just a difference between emulsions under the surface, and ink printed on the top.

Sven W

And the inkjet dither.....

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Fabrice

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I have ordered a sample pack from Red River and will test the Ultra Pro Satin, the Artic Polar Satin, and the Red River Artic Polar Luster.  I'll report back on which one appears closest to Fuji Type PD.

There are many great inkjet papers out there that will come close to the Fuji, but it's tough to match the perfectly smooth beautiful finish of the photo-paper.  Just a difference between emulsions under the surface, and ink printed on the top.

This is what I was wondering about...

Has anyone compared inkjet papers to those from lab printers and found one that closely matches the finish of a machine print such as Fuji Crstal Archive Super Type PD? 

I undertand the technologies are fundamentally different, but I thought the latest inkjet printers and papers could get pretty close.  From what I gather it sounds like UltraPro Satin might be the closest match to the machine print output from labs like ProDPI. 

UltraPro Satin   
    Satin Texture: Medium
    Paper Tone: Pleasing slightly warm white
    Paper Weight: 68lb (270gsm)
    Thickness: 10.4mil
    8.5x11 Pricing: As low as 27 cents/sheet

Arctic Polar Satin
    Satin Texture: Shallow
    Paper Tone: Bold Bright White
    Paper Weight: 66lb (266gsm)
    Thickness: 10.4mil
    8.5x11 Pricing: As low as 43 cents/sheet

Arctic Polar Luster
    Satin Texture: Deep
    Paper Tone: Bold Bright White
    Paper Weight: 75lb (300gsm)
    Thickness: 11.8mil
    8.5x11 Pricing: As low as 83 cents/sheet

(http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/photo-satin-luster-inkjet-papers.html)

The "Satin Texture" finish on the Arctic Polar Satin is described by Red River as "shallow" vs the "medium" texture of the Ultra Pro Satin.  The Arctic Polar Luster is described as having a "deep" texture.

I'll be able to see for myself when I run some tests on the the sample pack I've ordered, but in the meantime has anyone done any tests comparing the textures and finishes on these papers to the finish on standard lab prints?
Pages: [1]   Go Up