Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad cameras record The Gig of the Century  (Read 5871 times)

Dick Roadnight

Re: Hasselblad cameras record The Gig of the Century
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:53:18 am »

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/news/hasselblad-cameras-record-the-gig-of-the-century.aspx

¿Why did he cut off the head in the portrait behind?

It seems that the location for the picture was dictated by the steps they were sitting on, and that was why the background is unfortunately asymmetrical, with a large area of under-exposed curtain back right.

The stance of one of the page boys is awkward.

Phocus saved the day and prevented him blowing the highlights in the dress.

Professional photography at it's best?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:48:08 am »

Larger version here: http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/apr2011/7/5/prince-william-and-catherine-middleton-official-picture-pic-hugo-burnand-clarence-house-pa-image-3-683085082.jpg

Girls on left are a little overexposed, boy top right a little underexposed. Maybe some fall-off was inevitable given the confines of the space but that could have been corrected in post. Not crazy about all the expressions and poses either.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:01:50 am »

This photo of some people from one of our most dysfunctional families, must count as social commentary I suppose. That makes it of some limited interest, but really, who cares?

I notice that USAians seem to love our 'Royals'. Please feel free to have them on a permanent basis.

design_freak

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:58:41 am »

This photo of some people from one of our most dysfunctional families, must count as social commentary I suppose. That makes it of some limited interest, but really, who cares?

I notice that USAians seem to love our 'Royals'. Please feel free to have them on a permanent basis.

I did not expect such a reaction. Just the info that photos were taken of Hasselblad equipment. But as we're at it. I guess you guys do not criticize anyone in the royal family, only the technique (the artistic aspect / quality) of pictures ...
Best regards,
DF

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »

I did not expect such a reaction. Just the info that photos were taken of Hasselblad equipment. But as we're at it. I guess you guys do not criticize anyone in the royal family, only the technique (the artistic aspect / quality) of pictures ...

As you see, we do have some odd personalities in the good old United (!?) Kingdom...

My view? God bless the Royals. At least they have some dignity and can do their duty/job well, and let's face it, they can't easily resign when they do something incorrectly or even feel that they are not cut out for the work. But then, duty is a concept almost unknown to many people today; it's listed somewhere as having a minor rôle in being a mug.

Never heard of anybody from abroad coming to spend dollars, euros or yen to see a friggin' politician. Trouble with elected people, many are in it to make money whilst the sun shines; why else would they take on a job where they know that they will end up being hated? And the rest? Possibly they are motivated by a streak of altruism, but then I'm pretty certain that ends up being washed out of them by the time they lose their next election.

The amazing thing is that more people with the opportunity haven't given up and just gone to live abroad.

Rob C

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:28 pm »

... let's face it, they can't easily resign when they do something incorrectly or even feel that they are not cut out for the work.
Nor can we sack 'em. Me, I couldn't make it as a prince, so I joined the Royal Marines instead, whereas Prince Edward ...

Anyway, back OT & the Hasselblad shot - I'm sure that all the Hassy quality is there, but it hardly counts as being an image of note, other than for the major players in the centre of the shot. I see nothing much to commend it artistically, and a few posing issues that detract considerably.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:42:58 pm »

well, this is one USAian that doesn't understand why they still exist.  I guess there is no way to gracefully get rid of them, and based on the hype, most Brit's still think they're special.

Also, don't think you can qualify a shoot in 2011 as the gig of the century ... I'm guessing over the next 89 years there are plenty of opportunities to beat it ... including probably the wedding of their kids and their kids kids ... in fact could easily see their kids kids kids get married before 2100.

Gig of the decade might be more appropriate (although I wouldn't necessarily agree with that either)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:45:54 pm by Wayne Fox »

amsp

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 05:39:05 pm »

I don't generally care enough to comment on things like this, but I have to agree that's a terrible shot. There's so many obvious problems that even a non-photographer would raise an eyebrow I think. Compare this to the shots Annie did of the Queen and it becomes even more embarrassing. Also, calling this the gig of the century borders on insulting, it's a trivial celeb photo at best.

Robcat

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 06:33:23 pm »

I'll give you the Bush dynasty as an even trade. You game?

Given everyone's feelings here about the royals, maybe Hassy meant gig of the last century.

Boy at upper right is only one who's properly exposed.

AlexM

• Alex Maxim fashion and glamour photographer in Toronto
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 01:56:50 am »

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 04:01:38 am »

Nor can we sack 'em. Me, I couldn't make it as a prince, so I joined the Royal Marines instead, whereas Prince Edward ...

Anyway, back OT & the Hasselblad shot - I'm sure that all the Hassy quality is there, but it hardly counts as being an image of note, other than for the major players in the centre of the shot. I see nothing much to commend it artistically, and a few posing issues that detract considerably.

Oh; now I understand.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 04:03:58 am »

I'll give you the Bush dynasty as an even trade. You game?

Given everyone's feelings here about the royals, maybe Hassy meant gig of the last century.

Boy at upper right is only one who's properly exposed.

Everyone's?

Don't like the thought of exposed boys at all, either.

Rob C

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 04:25:36 am »

Don't like the thought of exposed boys at all, either.

Ah. So in your case, you couldn't become a catholic priest so you became a photographer instead  ;)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 06:22:15 am »

Apparently there was another celeb shooter at the abbey: Mario Testino
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

design_freak

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:49:46 am »

Ups...
 :-[
Best regards,
DF

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37:24 am »

Ah. So in your case, you couldn't become a catholic priest so you became a photographer instead  ;)

I couldn't force myself to become any sort of company man, in lower case or in caps of any kind.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 11:38:18 am »

Apparently there was another celeb shooter at the abbey: Mario Testino

Goodness, could they afford him twice?

Rob C

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 12:37:11 pm »

Easy to criticise the photography, but we have no idea of what conditions the photographer was working under, how much time or how much say they had. Honestly I would not want that gig.

Kevin.
Kevin.

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 03:06:23 pm »

Is not THIS photo more interesting?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up