Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Windows 7 PC and Photocal Spyder  (Read 4908 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

New Windows 7 PC and Photocal Spyder
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:00:37 pm »

I just replaced my old XP computer. I am using the old Photocal Spyder to calibrate my monitor. I downloaded version 2.7.7, and when I attempt to open the software, it asks me to identify the type of spyder (USB). But it then says it could find no spyder attached. Has anyone used the "old" Spyder with Win 7 64 bit?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: New Windows 7 PC and Photocal Spyder
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:44:07 pm »

I have an old Windows XP based USB oscilloscope I can only use from a virtual Windows XP inside my Windows 7 64 bit.
No idea if this trick might work for you.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:09:11 pm »

Thanks. I have not really figured out how to use XP mode to find drivers installed in regular Windows 7.
Dave

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:20:48 pm »

I think the root of your problem here is that your hardware hasn't got a driver for the 64bit operating system. If this is the original Spyder you're probably out of luck, although the Spyder 2 & 3 do seem to have some 64bit support available.
Try emailing Colorvision and seeing if they know of any work round for this.

I'm afraid getting old legacy hardware to work on 64bit systems when there are no drivers available is always going to be tricky.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:57:50 pm »

I think the root of your problem here is that your hardware hasn't got a driver for the 64bit operating system. If this is the original Spyder you're probably out of luck, although the Spyder 2 & 3 do seem to have some 64bit support available.
Try emailing Colorvision and seeing if they know of any work round for this.

I'm afraid getting old legacy hardware to work on 64bit systems when there are no drivers available is always going to be tricky.
Yes, you are correct: I did manage to start Windows in XP mode, down loaded a driver, and attempted to start Photocal: No luck! Same message: could not find the sensor. I may have to break down and buy another calabration device. Any suggestions? I run two monitors, but only one is calibrated (the other holds tools palattes).
Dave

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 01:50:47 am »

When in XP mode, you need to allow the XP mode to use the specific USB device.
If you don't do that XP mode won't find the device.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 04:15:12 am »

When in XP mode, you need to allow the XP mode to use the specific USB device.
I think As XP mode runs on in 64bit VM it is primarily for programs that need XP, rather than hardware. If you can't get the 64bit OS to see the hardware it will won't be available to XP mode software.

Unless there are some 64bit drivers somewhere that work, Dave is probably going to be unlucky trying to get it to work.
On the positive side there are better calibrators and software than an old Spyder & Photocal around now. Maybe one of the cheap ColorMunki units referenced here recently would fit the bill nicely ?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:09:59 am »

May mentioned Oscilloscope (it uses the monitor as oscilloscope screen) uses the 32 bit XP driver in the VM.
To me it appears the bigger problem might be the graphics driver and the color management - no idea if profiling a monitor over virtual XP could work at all.
I doubt it - but not for reasons of the device driver.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:08:30 am »

Thanks all. I am going to purchase a new calibration device. I noted on B&H's site the Spyder Express is good for only one monitor. Does anyone know if I could use it for the monitor I use for Photoshop, and use an uncalibrated monitor for the tool palletes? This what I now do.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up