Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D MkI Owners ** IMPORTANT WARNING **  (Read 18847 times)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Re: Canon EOS 5D MkI Owners ** IMPORTANT WARNING **
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 02:30:45 pm »

Your opinion. If you ever owned a 5DMII you obviously never profiled your camera. I own and use both professionally (and yes still shoot a ton of film) and while great quality is possible with either, the II has the edge in every conceivable way.

The "soul" of an image is in the artist vision and how he/she translates that via his control of the camera, technique and printing. It is not inherent in the technology or materials. You don't buy "soul" by buying a particular camera or by buying film. I repeat-what a total unequivocal load of crap.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 03:16:05 pm »

Your opinion. If you ever owned a 5DMII you obviously never profiled your camera. I own and use both professionally (and yes still shoot a ton of film) and while great quality is possible with either, the II has the edge in every conceivable way.

The "soul" of an image is in the artist vision and how he/she translates that via his control of the camera, technique and printing. It is not inherent in the technology or materials. You don't buy "soul" by buying a particular camera or by buying film. I repeat-what a total unequivocal load of crap.

But that won't work, Kirk: you'd need two buckets of crap because you are dealing with two separate questions here: a (loose) Canon and film. I stand behind the film; the Canon guy can take shelter as he wishes. As with so much in life, I know what I know, and others what they think that they know.

Looked at from that perspective, life is balanced, it works, and folks remain serene.

;-)

Rob C

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:33:01 pm by Rob C »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 03:29:46 pm »

Remaim hmmm that is an interesting concept. :-\

I would have said the same about film a while back, and I still shoot a ton of b&w 4x5. I would have said that until recently when I hung a b&w show of traditional b&w prints from 4x5, ink prints from scanned 4x5 and stitches from 5DII and 5DI. To get the b&w "brilliance" from the 5D stitched converted files was a huge struggle, but in the end I was able to do it and I am extremely picky. So I will firmly stand behind my comments. "Soul" comes from the hands of the artist-not the camera or the media.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 04:32:24 pm »

Remaim hmmm that is an interesting concept. :-\

I would have said the same about film a while back, and I still shoot a ton of b&w 4x5. I would have said that until recently when I hung a b&w show of traditional b&w prints from 4x5, ink prints from scanned 4x5 and stitches from 5DII and 5DI. To get the b&w "brilliance" from the 5D stitched converted files was a huge struggle, but in the end I was able to do it and I am extremely picky. So I will firmly stand behind my comments. "Soul" comes from the hands of the artist-not the camera or the media.

Oh these dyslexic fingers!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 04:54:52 pm »

Kirk

Okay, for you it works. For me, I still think I like the look of scanned Kodachrome printed black/white more than I do even black/white film scanned and printed.

In the interests of fairness, I have to qualify that. I no longer have any of my old black/white fashion negs to play with - they were either sold off to clients or destroyed all those years ago as I was preparing to move to Spain.

I never did much calendar stuff in black/white other than that series I have in the site which was done in Auchindrain, Scotland, for Barbour, the Irish Thread people, on either HP3 or HP4 35mm precisely because I wanted all the grain and grit that I could get without blowing highlights with funny exposures and developing. I don't have the negs: the scans come via digital camera copies of the only calendar pages I now own, and they are encapsulated in plastic! The Bardot ones and the Royals are all I can remember keeping in neg form. Consequently, it's only via the very few original WSG prints I still have that I can accurately gauge paper/print quality. Sadly, I can't get near it with digital; not because of the files, but because of the paper/pigment inks that I have to use to get to flat copy. These prints only come to life when I put them in those crystal sleeves or have them framed behind glass.

But then, I couldn't get Multigrade plastic papers to look like WSG graded sheets either. The rot (my opinion) started long ago.

Rob C

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 04:24:25 am »

Clearair.  May I respectfully suggest you re-read my original post and take a look at the URLs in answer to your question about what Canon are doing about this issue in the UK.  The US is the same.  I do not know about other localities.

I asked the UK Canon approved repairer I used how many 5Ds they had received in order to repair the mirror.  They wouldn't give an unequivocal answer since they said they were contracted to Canon but, they said, it was "quite a few".

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 05:43:35 am »

Every single camera model in existence will fail at some point.  Nothing lasts forever.

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 04:33:42 am »

Every single camera model in existence will fail at some point.  Nothing lasts forever.

Now I'm really, really depressed.

;-(

Rob C

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 01:08:42 am »

Now I'm really, really depressed.

;-(

Rob C

Don't worry about being depressed, that too will not last... 8)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up