Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7900 – New firmware solves nozzles issue?  (Read 2382 times)

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
7900 – New firmware solves nozzles issue?
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:27 am »

Since updating my 7900 to the latest firmware (HN023B3), not a single nozzle has clogged, which is highly unusual. Habitually one or more channels partially or completely drops every few days. Not anymore.

I’m wondering if it’s just a coincidence or if Epson fixed something with this last update.

Anyone else noticed an improvement with the new firmware?

artbot

Re: 7900 – New firmware solves nozzles issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »

i'd assume that they adjusted the wiper ramp speed a bit.  ...to not attack the front of the print head so quickly.  too fast of a wiper approach can cause the front of the head to be missed a bit as the wiper hydroplanes across the ink at first.  later sitting down flat against the head's surface. 

cybis

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 04:52:08 pm »

All Epson says is this update improves wake-from-sleep operations.

Artbot, is your assumption compatible with Epson statement?  Where is the wiper located? Which printer operations cause the wiper to wipe what? (The only wipers I know are on windshields.)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:13:42 pm »

Guessing the observation of fewer missing nozzles and timing with the update is coincidental.  Many of these printers improved dramatically after a short period of time.  Mine did the same thing a couple years ago ... suddenly it was just better.  Doesn't clog much at all anymore.

cybis

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:42:42 pm »

Thanks Wayne, but what could explain the dramatic change? Humidity, dust, temperature range, location, usage have remained constant. I haven't swapped cartridges recently. I would guess time alone could only cause progressive change.

I have had this printer for 19 months now. During the first 18 months, channels partially or completely dropped consistently every 2 to 4 days. The day before I updated the firmware was the last failed nozzle check.
Still I understand this could be a coincidence. If anyone is experiencing partial or complete channel drop with firmware HN023B3 then the case for a simple coincidence strengthens.

Wayne, do you have any more information as to what has changed with this firmware besides ‘improves wake-from-sleep operations’?

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:51:22 pm »

My understanding is that it's just a tweak to improve responsiveness when printing to a printer in sleep mode (to avoid time outs etc).  There's nothing to suggest that anything has been done to change cleaning operations in relation to the wiper.  Given the maturity of these products, I wouldn't expect a sudden change in that regard.
Phil Brown

richfred

• Frederick Fine Art Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 07:56:09 pm »

I just read the comments on the latest firmware from Epson for my 7900. I just went through a long email exchange with Epson Tech Support about clogging & auto Nozzle check/auto clean. My problem was endless Auto Nozzle check/Auto Clean cycles even though I have disabled Auto Nozzle check in the printer. After the installation of the latest firmware, these problems went away (maybe). The real issue seems to be that when a cartridge is low...say 5% (according to the Epson ink monitor) a number of things begin to happen (at least before the new firmware): First, every single file I sent to the printer would initiate Auto Nozzle check. Then, in many cases I would get the message "Not enough ink or maintenence tank full...". Even if I replaced a low cart with a new one, The printer still initiated an Auto nozzle check. After installation of the latest firmware, these problems have gone away (I think). The uncertainty is that for the last couple of weeks I have been printing with NO "ink low" carts. The printer has been behaving itself very nicely. I'm now close to a "ink low" cart so I'll see what happens & will report on it. BTW, when the ink monitor reported a ink low (5% or less) the cart still had almost 50% of its ink left!!! I pried one open & measured the remaining ink.
Richard

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »

I had been experiencing cyan nozzle clogs with my 4900 when not used for several days. Over the past several weeks this problem seems to have attenuated. I'm thinking perhaps the 4900 is more sensitive to winter humidity conditions (a bit drier) than was the 3800. Now, I have turned off completely all automatic anything to do with nozzle checks and cleanings, and the printer is being obedient in that regard. Also the one cartridge I have had to change so far did seem pretty empty - I didn't pry it open, but I shook it and heard very little going on inside. I'll pry open the next one. I am getting the low ink warnings on another cartridge just now, but it isn't interfering with anything else. I mention these things because the inkset is the same as the 7900 and the technology very similar. It leads me to think, Richard, that something may have been amiss with your specific unit, perhaps not with the entire design of the printer.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

artbot

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »

Artbot, is your assumption compatible with Epson statement?  Where is the wiper located? Which printer operations cause the wiper to wipe what? (The only wipers I know are on windshields.)  

i got a good chuckle out of that one.  forgive me but the epson god's can tell you whatever they want.  and not knowing that much about the physics of your printer (or even the parts in it, i.e. the windshield wiper) keeps things copasetic. 

the cleaning routine of these printers are balanced on specific absorb speeds, flashing times, vacuum pressures, wiper height, wiper speed, pauses, it's all ever calculated ballet of fluid dynamics.  if your printer magically doesn't seem to clog anymore.  then i'm pretty sure the firmware's cleaning cycle has been adjusted.  and the biggest kulprit of pesky head clogs are the wiper forcing ink backwards into the head, thus not specfically "clogging" the head (unless some slightly dried ink is involved)...but causing vacuum lock/deflections.

fjmcsu

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »

Tried using the normal nozzle check at each job with newest firmware and at least in my 7900 there was a shorter time to check nozzles and presumably automatically clean if necessary. However I did a manual nozzle check and the software performed horribly with multiple nozzle defects which were cleared by manual cleaning! So I will forgo the automatic mode and do my usual checks & cleaning as before in service mode!

Farmer

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »

i got a good chuckle out of that one.  forgive me but the epson god's can tell you whatever they want.  and not knowing that much about the physics of your printer (or even the parts in it, i.e. the windshield wiper) keeps things copasetic. 

Perhaps you should offer your services to Epson, since you apparently know more about a printer that you've never used than the engineers who design and build them?
Phil Brown

cybis

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 11:21:02 pm »

I just experienced a complete cyan channel drop on the new firmware. The reprieve was probably just coincidental. Sigh. :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up