Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three from the NYC boroughs  (Read 1375 times)

michswiss

Three from the NYC boroughs
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:03:16 am »

I took these last October during a short trip to NYC and just revisited them this week.

1)

2)

3)

Rob C

Re: Three from the NYC boroughs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:06:27 am »

Hi Jennifer

When I see these sorts of images I always thank my lucky stars that I ended up in a little two-donkey town on the Mediterranean. To  be fair, most of the taxis here are newish, white Mercedes, but you know what I mean.

The pics obviously worked on me!

Rob C

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:14:59 am »

Nice images--Was  Jerome Avenue near Fordham or Kingsbridge depicted?

By the way, these images also captured what I believe to be the most important single cause of global warming.  Old cities like NYC have the streets pockmarked with deposits of chewing gum, some going back to first contact.  These get trampled into the pavement and seem to darken with age.  The texture remains, as does the adhesive qualities.  Radiant energy from direct sunlight, as well as from reflected light, is retained and transmitted downward into the ground as well as upward, into the lower atmosphere.

If one were to do a graph of temperature vs time dating to the first instance of spitting out the used gum, the results would be shocking and instructive!

popnfresh

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:43:41 pm »

I like them all, but especially #2 and #3. There's something weird going on visually with #1 that almost makes it look like the guy on the right is floating on air. There's a slight halo around his legs that probably accounts for why he doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the scene. It looks like you might have used Photoshop's dodging tool there. It looks like you may have dodged quite a bit around the legs in shot #2 as well, or it could simply be the way the light is falling.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:49:51 pm by popnfresh »

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:07:51 pm »

Now you're talking! Singapore banned chewing gum years and years ago; the streets are, consequently, pristine. I wish they'd ban that vulgar crap here, too, because like the donations from those people who walk their dogs over the carpark, it gets on your shoes at night when you don't see it, and then, of course, into your car. Or home, depending of course on whether you are coming or going; sometimes you do both and win a double whammy.

Burn, baby, burn!

Rob C

michswiss

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:08:12 pm »

I'me trying some different processing ideas on my conversions that can lead to halos.  More work with curves and levels with some selective dodging and burning. It's all done in Aperture.  I've looked at buying PS but I can't tenant paying upwards of $1'600 AUD when the same package is around $600 USD, especially when the AUD is so strong.  Not sure if PS would be any better for the post work in any case.

I'm going to continue to work through back catalogue stuff while my mobility improves.  Thanks for the comments.

ps.  no gum was chewed nor spat out in the taking or processing of these images.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:43:15 pm »

I'me trying some different processing ideas on my conversions that can lead to halos.  More work with curves and levels with some selective dodging and burning. It's all done in Aperture.  I've looked at buying PS but I can't tenant paying upwards of $1'600 AUD when the same package is around $600 USD, especially when the AUD is so strong.  Not sure if PS would be any better for the post work in any case.

I'm going to continue to work through back catalogue stuff while my mobility improves.  Thanks for the comments.

ps.  no gum was chewed nor spat out in the taking or processing of these images.

Now that, Jennifer, has made my night! If you can manage to do something too about the birds and the brown rain from the Sahara that hate cars, I shall be even more pleased with you.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up