Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New PC & CS5 Install problems  (Read 3066 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

New PC & CS5 Install problems
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:14 pm »

Today I installed a new PC to handle the big files from the Pentax 645D camera. My old PC was  XP; the new one is Windows 7 64 bit. I deactivated CS5 before installing the new PC. I tried to install CS5 (upgrade) from original disks, entered the serial number, and was told the number was correct, but could not find a "qualifying product". Driving me nuts: not exagerating, I think I have original disks for Photoshop 2, 3, 4, 5, etc, etc, etc. In those days you got a free upgrade disk in the mail that were 3.3.1., 3.3. 2, 3.3.3 etc. Adobe is driving a 74 year old guy nuts. Any advice?
Dave Gurtcheff
www.moernpictorials.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New PC & CS5 Install problems
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:28:27 pm »

The program needs to "know" that you had a previous version eligible for upgrade. As this is a new PC, no such evidence exists on it. Therefore, you should be able to insert a disc from a previous qualifying install (I forget whether 2 or 3 behind the current version is the limit) whose credentials the installer would read to qualify the use of the upgrade.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:18:07 am »

I think you'll need a much newer install disk than "Photoshop 2, 3, 4, 5," The 'normal' Photoshop upgrade package to CS5 needs CS2 or later as a qualifying product.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:18:42 am »

I think you'll need a much newer install disk than "Photoshop 2, 3, 4, 5," The 'normal' Photoshop upgrade package to CS5 needs CS2 or later as a qualifying product.

Thanks all: I have CS5, CS4 CS3, and CS2, along with PS 7.0 etc.
Dave

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:20:50 am »

Then I don't understand the problem. Can you not use the CS4 disc for validating the CS5 upgrade?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:29:27 am »

Thanks all: I have CS5, CS4 CS3, and CS2, along with PS 7.0 etc.

Hi Dave,

CS5 seems to come in many different versions, the exact version depending on the intended upgrade path. For some reason, probably to confuse the dealers and annoy owners of legal prior versions the checks for the upgrade path is apparently quite strict. Make sure you got the correct version, check with your dealer or Adobe.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:33:55 am »

Hi Dave,

CS5 seems to come in many different versions, the exact version depending on the intended upgrade path. For some reason, probably to confuse the dealers and annoy owners of legal prior versions the checks for the upgrade path is apparently quite strict. Make sure you got the correct version, check with your dealer or Adobe.

Cheers,
Bart

Actually there are two for Photoshop CS5: CS5, and CS5 extended. There is a large price difference between them. Obviously if you try to upgrade to CS5 Extended on the basis of CS4 standard, you will have a problem unless you pay them more money. I don't how this is designed to confuse and annoy people. But Bart's basic point is well taken. The upgrade path should be consistent.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »

Thanks all. I got CS5 to install. After entering the serial number for CS5, I got the message that it found no qualifying products. However, (not obvious to me) there was a drop down menue to select a previous version. After selecting CS4, a (hard to find, at least for me) a place to enter the old serial number. Thanks again...off and running!!
Dave

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 04:36:14 pm »

Good, I thought you'd hit on that! Happy playing.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 07:38:11 pm »

Actually there are two for Photoshop CS5: CS5, and CS5 extended. There is a large price difference between them. Obviously if you try to upgrade to CS5 Extended on the basis of CS4 standard, you will have a problem unless you pay them more money. I don't how this is designed to confuse and annoy people. But Bart's basic point is well taken. The upgrade path should be consistent.

Hi Mark,

When I purchased my upgrade (soon after it became available), I spent half an hour on the phone with one of the largest serious software sellers in my country, as we were trying to figure out which product code was appropriate for my upgrade path (all were English versions, the UK one), and that was for Photoshop alone. Upgrades from older versions (more expensive), upgrades from more recent versions, upgrades from regular to extended, all with abreviated product descriptions which were clear as mud (taken directly from the Adobe product descriptions).

I managed to get the correct Photoshop CS5 version, and apparently Dave is also up and running, so all is well (although I believe there is a bug in the HDR pro conversion to LDR, and artifacts).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »

Hi Mark,

When I purchased my upgrade (soon after it became available), I spent half an hour on the phone with one of the largest serious software sellers in my country, as we were trying to figure out which product code was appropriate for my upgrade path (all were English versions, the UK one), and that was for Photoshop alone. Upgrades from older versions (more expensive), upgrades from more recent versions, upgrades from regular to extended, all with abreviated product descriptions which were clear as mud (taken directly from the Adobe product descriptions).

I managed to get the correct Photoshop CS5 version, and apparently Dave is also up and running, so all is well (although I believe there is a bug in the HDR pro conversion to LDR, and artifacts).

Cheers,
Bart

That's interesting - looks as if it was more complicated where you are than where I am.

NigelC

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 12:48:48 pm »

I have a new laptop arriving soon. I went from 7 (full version, registered), to CS2 upgrade then CS5 upgrade (via CS4 with free CS5 upgrade - for some reason cheaper that way) - do I have to put in original Photoshop 7 disc, then activate CS2 (upgrade), then CS5 (upgrade) - i.e. does Adobe regard qualifying product as being a full version?

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:32:55 pm »

I just installed cs5 to my new MacBook pro from replacement disks ($27) Adobe sent me because I lost my original cs5 disks from my MacPro. The replacement disks did not have a serial number on them, assuming I had cs4 installed and could use the cs4 serial number. During the install process I had to get Adobe to issue me a new serial number for cs5 over their help line. The install also asked for the cs4 serial number because the cs5 disks they sent me were the upgrade disks.
It then installed fine.
The Adobe guy was very patient and walked me through the whole process until the install was proceeding correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up