Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retain Size on borderless printing, roll paper  (Read 2574 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Retain Size on borderless printing, roll paper
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:58:35 pm »

Well, I've read the manual and still having problems with roll paper.  I've resigned myself to the fact that single cut won't work and that I'm going to waste paper no matter what.  I'm using 10" roll paper (premium lustre) and created a custom page size of 10" wide by 24" high, actually 25" because at 24" LR wouldn't place 3 8x10s on the page so I've got a bit of a margin on the bottom.  The package has the three 8x10s in landscape format butted up to each other.

When I use Auto Expand on a 10" print, it enlarges it a little more than I would like as the prints I'm making have a coloured border and makes the sides narrower than the top (expanding it sideways to print borderless I assume).  But it also misses the top 3/8" of the image! 

So I tried the Retain Size.  For some reason, it shifts the paper 1/8" or so to the left, so my 1/2" coloured border is only 1/8" on the left, the full 1/2" on the right, but now there's a 1/8" space to the right of the image.

So, as the manual suggests, I sized my image a little larger (they suggest 10.25 for a 10" paper width) and tried the Retain Size again.  Same problem... a shift to the left with 1/8" paper space on the right hand side.

I'm at a loss.  Any other suggestions?
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Retain Size on borderless printing, roll paper
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:11:57 pm »

The only way I got the job to print the way I wanted, was to create a new paper size that was 10.25" wide instead of 10", made the image 10.25 x 8" instead of 10x8, design the LR template for 10.3 x 8".  LR wouldn't go to 10.25 and rounded it up to 10.3".  This of course made the layout too wide for even the 10.25" image, and to get it printing as centred as possible, I had to place the 10.25" long image on the far left of the template. I also had to make the length of the paper 25", not just 24 (for three 8x10s), because it wouldn't print the top 3/8" of the image without making the page longer.  In the template, I had to move the first image down about 1/2" to get it to start printing at the top of the image.

As mentioned above, in LR, Page Setup, I created a new paper size 10.25" wide by 25" high (to print 3 8x10s butted together).  Borderless Auto Expand would make the print 8.25" high instead of 8, so I had to use Borderless Retain Size.

That seems like an awful lot of 'fixes' for a seemingly simple job as printing one 8x10 after the other with minimum wasted paper.  I still get about 1.5" in front and 1.5" behind the print job - so a waste of about 3" of paper.
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up