Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colormunkie Create, Windows 7 x64 and Three Monitors  (Read 2269 times)

doobry

Colormunkie Create, Windows 7 x64 and Three Monitors
« on: May 05, 2011, 05:47:31 am »

Hi,

I am attempting to calibrate my monitors, and have found a cheap supplier of the Colormunkie Create, display only, calibration "system".

http://www.colormunki.com/product/show?product=create

I was wondering if anyone else has used or knows about this system, and if it is possible to use it to generate multiple ICC profiles for use in Windows 7 x64.

I know that I can set 3 random profiles independently for each of my monitors, and can use the inbuilt Windows 7 colour management "calibration" to set a different, terrible, done by eye profile for each monitor, so I don't see my current hardware being a problem. My real issue would be that they have somehow limited the software to only support a single display due to its low price.

I am not going for perfection here, as my main goal is to be able to get the 3 monitors to simply show the same colours as each other, and would rather profile my printers using a scanner and IT8 targets.

Thanks in advance.

doobry

Re: Colormunkie Create, Windows 7 x64 and Three Monitors
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:13:27 am »

Decided to take a punt on the Colormunki as its pretty hard to beat £35, eBay link below if anyone interested...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150487859462

doobry

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 10:30:05 am »

Just incase anyone finds this in the future with the same questions, I'll answer myself...

Colormunki Create does have multiple monitor support. From what I have read your hardware must support setting independent profiles for each monitor, which is an issue with some graphics cards and windows versions, but this is beyond the scope of Colormunki itself.

Worked perfectly on my Windows 7 x64 system with a ViewSonic VX912, ViewSonic VX924 and Samsung 223BW on an ATI 5750. Profile window says that multiple displays have been detected and asks you to select which one you wish to profile, just ran this 3 times, once for each monitor.

Results were as good as could be expected for £35 and not great monitors.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:30:39 pm »

Thanks for the research and welcome to LuLa!  When you get no answers here it simply means you have stumped the experts.  I have no doubt you are a hero to any number of anonymous lurkers.

Now if only Spectraview II could support my internal LUT NEC2690 and another external LUT ho-hum monitor.  Or can it?  Heaven forbid I should have to search this.

doobry

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:36:00 am »

@bill t, thanks for the praise :D

Just to finish the thread, I have switched to using Argyll CMS as it seems to deliver better results than the software provided with the colormunki and is much more configurable, not hard given that the shipped software offers no configuration at all.

On a side note, the device came with a plastic "cover" that seems to be the same ambient light sensor head that ships with its more expensive sibling the i1, and it does seem to work with Argyll in that capacity, altho there is no mention of it in any of the colormunki literature. I have nothing to compare it with so it could be they are using a different plastic in the same mold, meaning it does not perform as it should. Its odd that they have included it and then not mentioned it as a feature.

So after a little usage, it seems that for the price it is a pretty brilliant little bit of hardware, just a shame that the shipped software does not make full use of it. But luckly there is Argyll which can unlock its potential.

NB. I strongly recommend covering the suckers on the underside of the unit, I have cut a doughnut of glossy card that they can stick to, as it did manage to damage the first monitor i tried it on, it now has little slightly darker circles in the center of the screen when showing light colours, luckily it was an el-cheapo that I was trying to find a reason to replace...
Pages: [1]   Go Up