Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meanwhile, Back at the Pond  (Read 8682 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Meanwhile, Back at the Pond
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »

You're on good, solid ground here, Jeremy; it's akin to the psychology that every company should show growth every year! What bullshit! I would have been perfectly happy to retain the turnover I had in good years. The only reason we have inflation is because people think they can beat the system and get ahead of the curve by asking for more. Nope, you only beat the system by finding promotion. Simply raising salaries across the board does nothing but drive up prices. Neither people nor jobs nor clients are equal in this world. Accepting that things are different and of different values, too, makes for a calm, settled environment.

Rob C
Strike! For every worker's God-given right to earnings above the national average.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 04:01:26 pm »

Strike! For every worker's God-given right to earnings above the national average.

Jeremy

You were obviously around pre-Maggie, then!

And to think it escaped all those guys... but no, that's unfair. I can give you a personal example of industrial action. Before I became a photographer, I started an apprenticeship in engineering. Then in '60, just as I was about to get married, there was a movement set up to strike on the Clyde. There were several hundred apprentices in that company with me, and one lunchtime they held a meeting headed (to say chaired would be an exaggeration)  by three or four of them. Like dead men walking, all but perhaps a dozen of us decided to 'go out in sympathy'. Holy shit! I was about to get married, was earning hardly a penny and they expected me to stop earning even that! The result was interesting: going into work during the strike was a game of stealth; the post-strike consequences were predictable: those of us who had refused to play silly games were ostracised, something that actuall served to boost my interest in self-employment; there's nothing like learning to think for one's self and leaving herds alone.

So, really, those three or four leaders were blessed with the same magic as Bin: they could motivate. Pity that, for the followers, it was directed badly.

Rob C

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 06:12:47 am »

Yeah, right: when you get it right means you're there. Improving is a term designed to confuse; once you know the how, the quality depends on the message, the budget and your personal interest in the project. Unless you are hopelessly altruistic, of course, which will see you close in six months.

These little sayings are often quite silly, and I believe that after a certain level of competence, everything else depends on factors outwith your control. All you need is for a single, important internal change to take place within a great client's company structure and you can see the fruits of a few years of dilligent labour vanish in smoke. I have gathered several such T-shirts.

Rob C

Unfortunately there are many professional photographers who stay in business without attaining "a certain level of competence" ...and it is the amateurs that strive for excellence.

I think that the last time I saw good wedding photographers at work they were using glass plates.

... but this has nothing to do with what is going on back at the pond.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 11:20:39 am »

... but this has nothing to do with what is going on back at the pond.

And what is going on? Well, the night has come and gone, and a Cornish mist shrouds our valley . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 11:30:01 am »

This is really a nice one, John.
I like the balanced composition and also the careful toning along with the simplicity of the picture.
This is a case where I myself would likely have been tempted to "pop" the image too much.
Good to see you didn't ...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 02:51:49 pm »

Now that one I can really relate to. It says to me that the old John is back. I love this one.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 05:26:33 pm »

Now that one I can really relate to. It says to me that the old John is back. I love this one.

Eric
+1
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up