Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Refurb... is this normal?  (Read 1006 times)

jeff_singer

• Jeff Singer Photography
Epson 3880 Refurb... is this normal?
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:43:33 am »

I purchased a refurbished Epson 3880.  Its my first refurb of any kind.

First, it was slightly damaged and I don't believe it was because of shipping.  The damage was to the flip up paper loader back.  On the backside it is cracked (hard to explain, but you'd never see it).  It would in no way effect the printing at all and since I never use the "main" tray that you're using the flip up back with, it wouldn't effect me.  If you were to use the flip up back, it might cause a minor annoyance.

So, I asked for a $150 refund off the price rather than returning the printer (since it would cost them more than that to ship a new one and ship the old one back).  But, i did notice that the maintenance cart and the ink nozzles have ink on them.  My guess is that this was done because they needed to do some test prints to make sure the printer was working.  Is my assumption correct?

Thanks!
jeff singer | photography
[url=http://je

greyscale

Re: Epson 3880 Refurb... is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:33:05 am »

Jeff,
From what i read in the various forums, the ink is normal. The cracked cover is not normal and is an indication the 3880 may have more serious damage that u cant see. Call Epson, and tell them u want a replacement unit shipped to you.

greyscale

jeff_singer

• Jeff Singer Photography
Re: Epson 3880 Refurb... is this normal?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:44:22 am »

That's what I was trying to decide... because I really think the damage is limited to this tray.  The retailer will actually send me a new (refurbished) printer if I want... but if it's all good except the tray I'd be happy with a $150 refund.  I'm going to do some test prints before I make my decision.  I just wanted to make sure the ink on the nozzles and maintenance tray was normal.
jeff singer | photography
[url=http://je
Pages: [1]   Go Up