Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goblin Valley SP or Little Wild Horse Canyon?  (Read 5169 times)

kate61

Goblin Valley SP or Little Wild Horse Canyon?
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:22:27 am »

I am working on our itinerary for our fall trip to southern Utah (late Sept). We have a "travel day" that includes a drive from Bryce (Tropic) to Moab. I initially was planning to break up the drive with some time spent exploring Goblin Valley, however I just read a little about Little Wild Horse Canyon and that sounds very interesting too. I don't think we'll have time to get in both. From both a photographic point of view as well as the "fun" factor, can you recommend one over the other? pros/cons of each maybe??  As always - thanks for your helpful advice.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:04:39 pm by kate61 »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Goblin Valley SP or Little Wild Horse Canyon?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:04 pm »

For the sheer fun, Goblin Valley takes the cake. For a more remote experience, Little Wildhorse is neat but the hoodoos at Goblin are much more interesting!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 06:40:30 pm »

They are both worthwhile and close to each other, but be guided by the time of day. Long shadows enhance hoodoos. but a high sun enhances a slot canyon.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:22:11 pm by markadams99 »

Tony B.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:06:37 am »

It sounds like you are going to have a good trip.  One thing to remember is Bryce Canyon is around the 8,000 to 9,000 foot level and could be cold in September.

It looks like Sunrise is around 7am in September.  If you can get closer to Goblin Valley, either Torrey or Caineville or Hanksville, after your time at Bryce Canyon it would help to get there for Sunrise.  It looks like its around a 4 hour drive from Bryce to Goblin Valley without any stops for photography. You can spend a lot of time at either place, but 3-4 hours in Little Wild Horse Canyon you can hike up towards the end where it opens up and back down with photography along the way.  Do not get suckered into doing the Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon loop.  Bell Canyon is a little disappointing after Little Wild Horse and the lost time could have been spent in Goblin Valley.

I have only done a few slot canyons and was spoiled by my first, a 4 day 40 mile hike down Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon.  But after that Little Wild Horse is an awesome little canyon that is easily accessed.  The different patterns in the canyon walls along the hike are amazing.

Then there is Goblin Valley.  I bypassed this state park for years before finally deciding to go.  It is sensory overload, there are so many rock formations to photograph you just can not think.  You can really spend hours in this fairly small park.  For me Goblin Valley was very hard to get a good photo.  I went in October and hit Goblin Valley for Sunrise, hiked Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon loop then Goblin Valley again for sunset.

Sunset at Goblin Valley in late September should be about 7:15pm so it would be possible with a late arrival into Moab to be there for Sunset.  It is a little under 2 hours from Goblin Valley to Moab.

If you have not been in a slot canyon before I would recommend Little Wild Horse Canyon first, then spend the remaining time you have at Goblin Valley.  If you get there for Sunrise, hit Goblin Valley first, due to lighting, then the canyon.

Tony

dmerger

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:44:26 am »

If you have not been in a slot canyon before I would recommend Little Wild Horse Canyon first, then spend the remaining time you have at Goblin Valley.  If you get there for Sunrise, hit Goblin Valley first, due to lighting, then the canyon.

I agree, except I'd do the Little Wild Horse - Bell loop.  Little Wild Horse is more interesting, but seeing a different canyon is nice, too.
Dean Erger

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:01:15 am »

I'm late to the game but I thought I'd share this blog post I wrote earlier in the year about how to photograph Goblin Valley SP: http://blog.bretedge.com/2011/01/17/goblin-valley-state-park-a-photographers-guide/

If you're in the area, I'd plan to photograph sunrise and early morning at GVSP, then head to one of the many slot canyons in The Swell, i.e. Little Wild Horse, to hike and photograph during mid-day.  You'll get the best light in a slot canyon when the sun is high in the sky.  You might also consider visiting the Temple Mountain townsite.  Beautiful area with some cool old buildings and a fantastic view of Temple Mountain.

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 06:21:22 am »

I'm late to the game but I thought I'd share this blog post I wrote earlier in the year about how to photograph Goblin Valley SP: http://blog.bretedge.com/2011/01/17/goblin-valley-state-park-a-photographers-guide/

Thanks for sharing your experience. The GV park is really an amazing place and unless it has changed from last year, it's not crowded.
Francois

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:11:43 am »

Thanks for sharing your experience. The GV park is really an amazing place and unless it has changed from last year, it's not crowded.

You're right.  GVSP is really never "crowded".  Even on a busy day, it's nothing like you'd find at Dead Horse Point or Arches/Canyonlands.  Nothing against those parks, because I love them dearly, but GVSP is definitely better for no/low crowds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up