Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shenandoah Valley and Catoctin Mountain Park  (Read 2689 times)

dbell

Shenandoah Valley and Catoctin Mountain Park
« on: June 03, 2005, 03:09:57 pm »

I live pretty close to you (I'm on the border between Rockville and Gaithersburg). I made two quick trips to Catoctin/Cunningham Falls this winter. it's a lovely site and I was just about the only one there (which is why I like going places off-season...). I haven't been there when it's warm out, so I don't know what the crowds are like during tourist season.

The falls itself is a very short hike from the parking lot, over easy terrain. It was dicey when snow-covered, but it's cake otherwise. The falls are tricky to shoot, at least in the winter, because there's very little direct light to be had. In the summer, I'd expect to find extremes of dynamic range, so I'd bring ND and polarizing filters and expect to shoot on a tripod. I'd be happy to go out there again if you're interested (anyone else from the DC area around here?).

Very close to Catoctin State Park is also the Catoctin Furnace, which is the ruins of a pig-iron furnace that was used up until about the turn of the 20th century. I was just there a few weeks ago. It's nothing amazing, but it's worth a few minutes if you can get there early or late in the day.

Aaron19

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 01:29:20 pm »

I'm living in Gaithersburg MD for the summer (close to D.C.) and have been planning on going to these two parks.  [Honestly, I'll be surprised and very happy if anyone has been to or heard of Catoctin Mtn Park (which also has Cunningham Falls).]  It's about a two hour drive to Shenandoah from Gburg and Shenandoah is very big so I'd like to hit the best spots in one day, although I might go back again.  

So for either park, can anyone tell me of any particular good photographic spots.  I would almost prefer spots off the beaten path so I don't get into anybody's way.  

Aaron Cowan
Aaron Cowan
 Canon 30D, DRebel | Tokina 1

Aaron19

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 09:13:17 am »

My next three weekends are busy and I don't know if going on the weekend of the 4th of July would be good for the crowds, but otherwise I'd like to get together and go up there.   I'm pretty new to photography so all the help I can get is greatly appreciated.  

I also have one question.  In regards to freezing action during the day, I know an ND would be needed.  I never knew a Circular Polarizer acted as an ND also.  I already have CP, so what type of ND would I need to stack on it (2 stop, 4 stop)?

Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to going up to Catoctin!

Aaron Cowan
Aaron Cowan
 Canon 30D, DRebel | Tokina 1
Pages: [1]   Go Up