Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NTSC and PAL mixing problem ( Panasonic GH2)  (Read 3806 times)

Mark Regan

• http://
NTSC and PAL mixing problem ( Panasonic GH2)
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:31:35 pm »

Hello,
I have very little video knowledge (using iMovie and a EOS 60D until now).
A friend comes from Japan with his Panasonic GH2 recording in NTSC format.
I will use then a Panasonic GH2 european version in PAL.
Unfortunately we cannot match the video recording in-camera,as Pansonic does not allow the compatible settings.
-How can we match the output, to edit the videos in one film?
Can I mix NTSC and PAL, or do I have to convert? How? It seems problems occur with movements.
I am searching since a while on the web and the camera stores I asked are unable to give a solution.
Please can someone in the same situation or with experience help?
Thank you and greetings from Vienna!

hjulenissen

Re: NTSC and PAL mixing problem ( Panasonic GH2)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:02:08 pm »

NTSC is typically filmed using 30/60 frames/fields per second. PAL is 25/50. When mixing those two into one file (usually of a single framerate), I think that you have to convert one. Framerate-conversion is difficult.

-h

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:13:20 am »

Hello,
A friend comes from Japan with his Panasonic GH2 recording in NTSC format.
I will use then a Panasonic GH2 european version in PAL.
Unfortunately we cannot match the video recording in-camera,as Pansonic does not allow the compatible settings.
-How can we match the output, to edit the videos in one film?

If you are shooting HD, then there is no PAL or NTSC, only different frame rates, and whether or not they are interlaced or progressive. Can you tell us exactly what frame rate you shot it in, and whether or not it was i or p? Was it 720 or 1080 HD, or was it really standard definition PAL and NTSC?

Can I mix NTSC and PAL, or do I have to convert? How? It seems problems occur with movements.
I am searching since a while on the web and the camera stores I asked are unable to give a solution.
Please can someone in the same situation or with experience help?

How you mix and match depends on your final delivery. Is it going to be PAL/NTSC television or DVD? Is it going to be Blu-ray, or the internet? Is it just for Youtube or Vimeo or the iphone? What software are you using? If you can detail exactly what it is that you're doing, I might be able to offer specific help.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Mark Regan

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:19:20 am »

Thanks for all your answers,

the result shall be viewed on computer in HD 1080 and on a HD japanese TV .
I guess we have therefore to produce a Blue Ray disc?
Software: iMovie/ Mac latest version
The specification of the japanese model are:
Motion Image (AVCHD) NTSC    [Full HD] 1920×1080, 24p (24H:24Mbps,24L:17Mbps)
[Full HD] 1920×1080, 60i (sensor output is 60p)
Specification of the european ( mine) are:
Video (AVCHD)   1.920 x 1.080 Pixel, 24p (24H: 24Mb/s, 24L: 17Mb/s) / 1.920 × 1.080, 50i (Sensor-Output 50p)
I guess both cameras on 24p should be a starting point?

Sareesh, very cool website!

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 07:59:07 am »

Before I go on I have to admit I have never shot with the GH2, so these are assumptions at best:

the result shall be viewed on computer in HD 1080 and on a HD japanese TV. I guess we have therefore to produce a Blue Ray disc?
Software: iMovie/ Mac latest version

The specification of the japanese model are:
Motion Image (AVCHD) NTSC    [Full HD] 1920×1080, 24p (24H:24Mbps,24L:17Mbps)
[Full HD] 1920×1080, 60i (sensor output is 60p)
Specification of the european ( mine) are:
Video (AVCHD)   1.920 x 1.080 Pixel, 24p (24H: 24Mb/s, 24L: 17Mb/s) / 1.920 × 1.080, 50i (Sensor-Output 50p)
I guess both cameras on 24p should be a starting point?

Blu ray accepts both 24p and 23.976p (stay away from interlaced) standards. I think both versions of the GH2 record in 24p (which I gather is 23.976p). You will probably need to shoot the 24H (24Mbps) mode for the best quality in 1920x1080. Assuming the 24p standard is the same for both GH2s (Pal and Ntsc), I suggest both of you shoot in this mode.

In this case, you don't have to change the frame rate, ever. I'm not sure about iMovie so I'm hoping it can create a project without transcoding (changing) your source files in any way. You should be fine with 24p.

Sareesh, very cool website!
Thank you!
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up