Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad ink cartridge and the Epson 7890?  (Read 12620 times)

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
Bad ink cartridge and the Epson 7890?
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:27:36 pm »

I have a brand new Light Light Black 150ml catridge for my 7890 that the printer simply does not want to recognize. I insert it correctly, the printer thinks about it, and then acts as if there is no cartridge installed. Could the chip be bad?

Any tips for how to get around this? There are no local suppliers of this ink so I'm stuck with not being able to print for days if there isn't a solution other than replacing it.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Bad ink cartridge and the Epson 7890?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 03:34:01 pm »

Similar thing happened to me with a 7880. An almost full 220ml. cartridge stop being recognized by the printer after several prints over a few weeks. One day, the printer panel read "wrong cartridge.". Luckily I still had at hand the old "empty" cartridge. The printer accepted it. So it was the cartridge, not the printer.
I took it to my local dealer for replacement. They said the had to send it to Epson for evaluation. After several weeks I got an email from Epson saying they were sending a replacement free of charge. I'm expecting it this week.
Eduardo

I have a brand new Light Light Black 150ml catridge for my 7890 that the printer simply does not want to recognize. I insert it correctly, the printer thinks about it, and then acts as if there is no cartridge installed. Could the chip be bad?

Any tips for how to get around this? There are no local suppliers of this ink so I'm stuck with not being able to print for days if there isn't a solution other than replacing it.

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 11:35:38 pm »

I've been printing with these wide format machines for many years and I would not be caught without at least one backup cart for each colour. Using two 7600 printers I usually had a drawer full of carts, probably $2500 worth ant any one time. With the 9900 and 350/700ml carts the $$$ really add up, but that's the price of being in business. All of my blacks are 700ml carts, and I generally have at least two of each on hand. Any down time is bad news, so a good supply of ink helps lubricate the wheels and keep things rolling.  In more than 6 years of using these printers I've had only one bad cart, but that was not a problem. Pop in a new one and send the faulty one back for a replacement.

Gary
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:34:55 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

macb

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »

I have just had the same situation with my 3 week old Espon 7890. The light light black gauge said the cartridge that I had installed was empty, so I replaced it only to have the printer tell me the new cartridge I inserted was not recognized. On a whim, I then re-insterted my original empty cartridge only to find there was still 1/4 - 1/5 of the thing left! And now today, it tells me there is no cartridge installed at all. Very frustrating. I have ordered a replacement cartridge for the new one that the printer not recognized, but worried something is actually wrong with the printer itself.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:39:49 am »

I had a new Yellow 700ml turn out to be bad recently, and it happened midday on Friday with prints needing to be done over the weekend!  Called Epson Priority Support, and they immediately shipped out a replacement to me, which I had in two days since I'm sort of close to their warehouse.  They didn't even bother to have me send the other back.  Apparently the green chip can be bad sometimes.

The green chip keeps track of how much ink is left, so you can't open the cartridges and move a full ink bag to the old cart, and you can't move the old green chip to the new one.  The whole thing has to be replaced... Unless you have a green chip resetter, which is made for people who refill cartridges, which I'd never do due to needing prints to be archival and consistent colors between ink batches, so I don't have one.

I ordered the cartridge online, but thankfully my Epson dealer is literally 5 minutes away, so could purchase a new one to print over the weekend.  If they're out of stock, I have another Epson dealer 20 minutes away, and a third 45 minutes away.  (Phew!)

At least on the 9900, the most recent US firmware update claims to fix some cases of cartridge rejection, so make sure you're up to date!  I was already running it, so I can't vouch for if it ever fixes the issue.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:11:49 am »

In the U.S. if this happens, Epson has always overnighted to me a new cart,  7800, 9880 or 9900.  I agree it always tends to happen when
you need to get a big print job done. 

One other idea, purchase a tank chip resetter for the 7980 or 7900 etc.  This will reset the cart all the way back to full, but at least it should
work again.  I use one only in a pinch. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:04:13 am »

If you want to "try" the chip resetter route, you can purchase a maintenance tank recycling kit (think of it as a tampon for your Epson---it ain't rocket science and won't effect print quality in anyway, and you save money!)  The chip resetter that comes with the maintenance tank kit *should* also work on resetting the ink cartridge chips.  (I use the same chip resetters for maintenance tanks and my piezography printer cartridges; I don't use 3p inks on my 9900).  If it doesn't work, at least you're saving money on maintenance tanks....

http://www.tastarsupply.com/epson-ink-maintenance-tank-refill-kit-resetter-p-4341.html

ken

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 12:18:39 pm »

In all the 5 years or so using my Epson 9800 I've had only two bad cartridges, both of which were promptly replaced by Epson within a few days. One time they asked for the cartridge back, one time they didn't. But I'm paranoid enough to always have one extra on the shelf. The only times I did not was, guess what, when one went bad during a large image printing job. The last time one went bad the printer paused for two days before I could replace the cartridge and, astonishingly, picked up from where it paused and finished the job with no effect on the quality.

kevhay

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:41:14 pm »

I have found that these Epson Stylus Pro 7890 are touchy with the inks on the right side, LLK and the L M, for some reason this bay has a dummy cartridge/divider(between the LK and LLK) that makes these last two cartridges fit sloppy, loose. At 1st sometimes this printer wouldn't see any cartridge on the 1st start up,(if it sat for a few days) off then on again, it was good to go. Then I changed the cartridge's since then I have had problems with the LLK almost every time. sometimes I give up and then a few hours later I turn it on and its fine??? I have original Epson cartridge's, Epson re-setter, and a set of refillable- re-settable cartridge , its not the cartridges, its the bay, I find that if I install the cartridge and then pull it back a little (just a little pressure) dont tug it out and try and keep the same gap on the right, "next to the L Magenta" the same as the gap between the Magenta and the LK. But it has never worked just after closing the ink door, it has always taken a power off then on again, so its lots of on and off sometimes. Also check what the display is showing, sometimes it shows NO CARTRIDGE with the LLK having a blinking red X, and sometimes its reading Wrong Cartridge Please Install with the same blinking red X on LLK. I think the contacts are off slightly, depending on were the cartridge is, slighilty to the left? to the right? but its only a guess. I do get it to catch.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:06:13 pm by kevhay »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:03:15 pm »

A few things to try that may bring a "bad" cartridge back to life.

Clean the contacts, both on the cartridge and in the printer.

Hold the cartridge vertically and gently tap the bottom against a firm tabletop or similar surface .  seems an air bubble or other some such problem can cause the cartridge to error out.

also, unplug the printer for 5 minutes or so ... this cured one for me on a brand new 9900 ...

I will say these don't work most of the time, but I have seen all 3 of these work a least once or twice ...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:05:45 pm by Wayne Fox »

djoy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 09:11:59 am »

I envy you guys dealing with Epson US, who seem to be everything you would expect of them. I wish I could say the same for Epson UK, who are appallingly bad, and will do anything they can to avoid supporting you.

After a whopping total of 79 pages on my 7890 (I'm not a high volume printer, I just like BIG prints), I've just reached the end of one of my first "starter" cartridges. I have a full set of ink on-hand (all in-date), which came with the printer as a promotion when I bought it. The new Light Black cartridge was not recognised, I tried all the tips, shaking it, bang it on the table etc. The printer refuses to recognise the new 150ml cartridge, if I put the old one back in it is quite happy with that, so it's clearly a fault with the cart.

So begins the debacle with Epson UK support....

I contacted them via their online chat, because of their opening times I can only do this whilst I am away from the printer. The first person I spoke to asked a serious of suspiciously bizarre questions, upon learning I was not near the printer asked for the serial numbers of all the working cartridges in the printer... I'd anticipated many things and had information to hand, but not that one. She said the "system" would not let her proceed and she refused even log a call on the issue without the other serial numbers.

Having collected that information, I tried again the next day. The next person I spoke to never even asked for the numbers on the other cartridges...  >:(

Second attempt, the questions I was being asked seemed a bit suspicious, they appeared to be designed NOT to diagnose the fault, but to identify a clause by which they could avoid any liability. Things like, "what brand are the cartridges?" and "what country are you in?", and finally "when did you buy it?". I even got "was the printer turned on when you replaced the cartridge?", given the only way to unlock the ink bay doors is via the menu system, well, yeah, it was on....

The replacement cartridge which is defective is dated to expire 07.2013 (some 8 months away), but as soon as they learned I got the cartridge with the printer just over a year ago, I get the door slammed in my face with "The warranty on the cartridges is 3 months from the date of purchase. Therefore the cartridge is out of warranty.".

Basically, they will only warranty the cartridge for 3 months, regardless of the expiry date. Of course Epson UK don't sell the 150ml carts they gave me in the promotion, the smallest is a 350ml one, which is not economical for the volume of printing I do.

Finally after asking to speak to a supervisor (which I didn't get), threatening to report them to trading standards, and asking them to send out an engineer to diagnose the fault (I have 3 year onsite warranty), they finally agree to make an "exception" and allow me to send them the cartridge for "testing". If they find it faulty they may replace it, otherwise they'll send it back.

Ultimately this means having a "stock" of ink on-hand is not a sensible option, as if you don't use them within 12 weeks and they turn up defective, well, tough luck. Now I have to decide whether to check all the other cartridges to see if they're also faulty and send back all the defective ones at once so I don't have to go through this debacle every time I have to replace an empty cart.

Epson UK are one of the worst customer support companies I've ever dealt with.  :(

Alto

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:54 am »

+1 on the Epson UK customer experience.
Try to get a paper sample from them . Impossible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up