Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 2613 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Concentration
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:56:15 pm »

Something a bit different for me: environmental portrait.

A sliver of late-afternoon light, escaping through closed window shades, illuminating a programmer deeply concentrated on the code in front of him.

Concentration by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Concentration
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

Interesting... The backstory of the subject being a programmer brings 'binary' to mind for me, and the narrow shaft of vertical light thus forms a '1' with 0 being the shade on either side.  Which may or may not have been intentional!!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:08:33 am »

Interesting... The backstory of the subject being a programmer brings 'binary' to mind for me, and the narrow shaft of vertical light thus forms a '1' with 0 being the shade on either side.  Which may or may not have been intentional!!

Mike.

Heh... I wish I'd have such a power of pre-visualisation or pre-conceptualization, but in reality, I was just reacting to a cool way the light was falling on his face and the fact that he did not seem to notice or mind. Everything else is just a post-conceptualization (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:31:39 am »

Heh... I wish I'd have such a power of pre-visualisation or pre-conceptualization, but in reality, I was just reacting to a cool way the light was falling on his face and the fact that he did not seem to notice or mind. Everything else is just a post-conceptualization (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Wrong with it? Good Lord, it's the basis for much erudite gallery-speak, my own included!

Rob C

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 05:34:16 am »

Slobodan

This is striking, very graphic. I'm thinking that it would work really well as a lead illustration for a magazine article, or indeed a cover picture. You have dealt with an extreme lighting situation rather well, but I am wondering if there is in fact any detail left in the highlights in your RAW file or print? Not that it matters greatly - Bill Brandt used to be pretty cavalier with his highlights and nobody seemed to worry about it.

John
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:35:58 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:31:47 am »

Slobodan

This is striking, very graphic. I'm thinking that it would work really well as a lead illustration for a magazine article, or indeed a cover picture. You have dealt with an extreme lighting situation rather well, but I am wondering if there is in fact any detail left in the highlights in your RAW file or print? Not that it matters greatly - Bill Brandt used to be pretty cavalier with his highlights and nobody seemed to worry about it.

John

Never mind what he did to his women; bloody misogynist!

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 02:24:16 pm »

... I am wondering if there is in fact any detail left in the highlights in your RAW file or print?...

Strange as it may sound, there is no clipping in the highlights even in the original RAW, though the green channel is close, but not exceeding 100% in the Lightroom. A tribute perhaps more to the modern cameras' metering algorithms than my skills (though, in defense of my 40 years of honing them, were I shooting film, and especially transparency, I would have most likely employed a spot meter for those highlights). Perhaps also a tribute to LR, as this is a Canon 20D file, noticeably better processed today than when it was taken originally.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 07:49:01 pm »

Slobodan, I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like it. It's striking; no doubt about that, and it's different. Both pluses. I guess my problem is that I'm "retro," so the almost poster-like tone transitions bother me. On balance I think it's good work; just a bit jarring. Guess I've looked at too many HCB-style middle grays.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up