Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Thickness Setting in Epson Driver  (Read 9196 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Paper Thickness Setting in Epson Driver
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:47 am »

Under the Advanced Media Control menu of the Epson 4900 printer driver there's a Paper Thickness setting.  It appears the default is 3 (0.1mm).  When I changed the paper to Hot Press Bright which is a 17mil paper, this setting changed to 5.  If I try to set the thickness to 17, it only goes to 15.  

So what is the proper setting for this or other thick papers?
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Paper Thickness Setting in Epson Driver
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:59:08 am »

The manual explains how to find it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:16:31 am »

Hmmm...  The only thing I found in the manual simply states that "Paper Thickness helps reduce vertical banding a creates a sharper image when printing on unusually thick or thin paper".  But nothing on how or what to set it to.

However, I did read that it will automatically adjust this for Epson papers so I assume it knows what it's doing.  For the Hot Press Bright it selected 5.  How this relates to 17mil I'm not sure... but it seemed to work ok. 
Mike Guilbault

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:42 am »

There is a conversion factor that you need to use.  I'm heading out the door for a meeting right now and don't have time to respond full.  5 is the correct setting.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:35:27 am »

Hmmm...  The only thing I found in the manual simply states that "Paper Thickness helps reduce vertical banding a creates a sharper image when printing on unusually thick or thin paper".  But nothing on how or what to set it to.

However, I did read that it will automatically adjust this for Epson papers so I assume it knows what it's doing.  For the Hot Press Bright it selected 5.  How this relates to 17mil I'm not sure... but it seemed to work ok. 

Mike, instead of creating topic after topic in the Discussion Forum, it may be more useful to read the manual with care and attention. The whole procedure is explained in detail on pages 58-60.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 12:10:51 pm »

Thanks Mark... with so many options I just figured that a separate topic for each one wouldn't get lost or buried under the title of one topic.  I do, at least, try the Search function first to find an answer. As I'm sure you're aware, some people learn by doing and some by reading.  I'm not a learn by reading type. I hate manuals and can never seem to find the answer to my questions there.

However, now that you pointed out the pages, I had skipped that part of the manual because it seemed to be more for Custom settings when all I want to do is learn how to use Epson paper with the Epson printer which I didn't consider 'custom'.  Although I've been a pro photographer for 25+ years, this is my first 'pro' printer and there's much more to learn than I expected, with paper types, matte ink/photo ink, thicknesses, finishes, roll paper, borderless... well.. you get the idea.

That being said... I understand what you're saying and I will definitely do that (RTFM!) lol.  And thanks for pointing out the pages that detail the procedure.  I'll start there.

cheers
Mike Guilbault

fetish

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_density

17mil is not 1.7mm.

1mil = 0.0254mm
17mil = 0.4318mm = paper thickness of 5 on the epson.

epson printers can only take in up to 1.5mm paper thickness so a value of 17 will not be recognised.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:30:36 pm »

ahhh... thanks!  Must've missed that class.  Makes much more sense now.
Mike Guilbault

Conner999

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:26:47 pm »

Obviously not a 4900, but on the 3800 I find a thickness setting of 6 & a platen of 'wider' does the job with Hot Press (great paper). A thickness of 5 was too 'touch & go' with ink-pickup on a leading edge if there was ANY (and I mean ANY) curl to the sheets leading edge.

Also if doing an image with a LOT of heavy blacks (say portrait with black backdrop), unlike say the thinner Epson VFA, it will swell and scuff easily (at least on my copy of the 3800) on the myriad of sharp bits that still remain in this day and age in inked-side of the paper path. I use the front feed and a 7 or so thickness setting in those situations.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:07:57 am by Conner999 »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:58 am »

Thanks Conner... I'll keep that in mind if I run into problems.
Mike Guilbault

Conner999

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 07:07:45 pm »

No worries. Given the manufacturing tolerance in printers and and how even a minor one(s) can impact if a given copy of a printer scratches/scuffs, etc a given paper (hence why some people see no issues with printer X and paper Y, but some do) I tend to up the default thickness setting by +1 to start. My 3800 is also a problematic one with  PK papers that tend to swell/distort under heavy ink - even with the pizza wheels removed.

Hope your enjoying the 4900

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:50:00 pm »

Well I am enjoying the printer and so far (knock wood) I haven't had any problems, that I've found, with marks of any kind.  I'm going to order a 17" roll of either the hot or cold press natural next week (they're out of stock for about a week) and run some tests.  I'm kinda leaning towards the Cold Press - love the texture and feel of it.  The 8.5x11 sample sheets ran through ok, so I'm expecting the rolls to work fine too.  If not I'll bump it up a setting +1 and see.

cheers
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up