Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portfolio Review - Request for a presentation recommendation  (Read 1685 times)

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
Portfolio Review - Request for a presentation recommendation
« on: April 29, 2011, 06:56:04 am »

I intend to schedule several portfolio reviews later this year and next, and would appreciate responses from photographers as to HOW the reviewer expects that the work will be presented.  I bought a clam-shell type box that will accommodate 16 by 20 inch items.

Specifically, do reviewers expect the images to be 1) mounted 2) mounted and with a matte or 3) loose images?  Incidentally, all my images are shown  in square format.

A consideration for me is that the paper that I like, Epson Exhibition Fiber, is quite easily scratched.  Does someone have a work around for this aspect of my art pieces?

Jerry Reed

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
Re: Portfolio Review - Request for a presentation recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:14 am »

Hi Jerry,

You didn't say to whom you will be showing the work and for what purpose it is intended?

Neil

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:51 am »

Neil,

I will be attending a NE Portfolio review were there will be many photographers rotating through many reviewers in 20 minute review sessions; some will be reviewers will be gallery owners others will have various photographic professions.  I am looking for comments as to the readiness of my work, who might be most likely to accept it in a gallery, and the possibility that I can make bridge to commercial interior designers.

HTH,

Jerry

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:39:35 am »

Jerry,

I am both a gallery owner and a photographer. I like to see a portfolio that shows the quality of the images I am being asked to consider for exhibition, but a portfolio has to be a unified body of work where there is some distinct connection between all the images, but where each is a really singular image. If it's a story or sequence of some kind, then make it the minimum number of images necessary to convey the idea. Keep it small, easy to handle, elegant. if you have a statement that you must make, make it very short and pertinent - let the images speak for you.

Matted or mounted images give a presence to the work and some space, if you need to put interleaving sheets.  Don't make it so big or heavy that it is hard to handle.

Find out if you can who the reviewers are and what their interests and taste are - maybe you can target one particular reviewer or gallery owner.

Good luck,
Neil

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:09 am »

Neil,

I am taking it that a reviewer such as yourself would not be put off by seeing the images mounted and matted.  The images are of the series that is drawn from Oscar Wilde's statement, "A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."  These images speak to a third way of working our way out of the financial hole that we are in; not only raising income and cutting spending, but (controllable by the citizen) reducing waste.

The first of the series refutes that items consider to be waste, paper can with the hand of man be made to have renewed value.

Shown in the self-publihed book "Gathered Light 2010" are the works that I showed in juried exhibitions last year, among them the VALUE of NOTHING series.

Please see:  http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/1702618

Thank you for your helpfully valuable responses.

Jerry

Audii-Dudii

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:38:52 am »

Seeing that I have attended several portfolio reviews now (and am presently in the process of preparing for  Review Santa Fe, which is coming up in June) and my prints are likewise on Epson Exhibition Fiber, I actually feel qualified to answer this question.

In my case, I've chosen to show loose prints and not once has anybody criticized me for this.  In fact, just the opposite has happened, as several reviewers have told me they prefer to see unmounted prints in this context.  I do know that bringing loose prints saves quite a bit of weight and as you'll end up carrying your portfolio around with you all day long, a little bit of weight savings pays definitely dividends by the end of the day.

At first, I initially chose to use interleaf sheets, but this seemed to slow the review process down, so I abandoned them in the middle of the first review I did and now cross my fingers about the amount of wear-and-tear they will receive.  Do bring a soft brush with you so that you can tidy them occasionally during the course of the day and if sequencing is important to your presentation, then I suggest you number your prints in pencil on the back so you can quickly reorganize them between reviews as they do tend to get shuffled around a bit during the review process.

I have also chosen to carry mine around in an aluminum case made by Pina Zangaro (the Camden series at http://www.pinazangaro.com/products/presentation_display_and_storage.html and Adorama sells 'em, too) as I find these to be both rugged and stylish.  Initially, I was showing 12x16 prints on 13x17 paper, but found them to be borderline too large for the space available, so I brought 9x12 prints on 11x14 paper to the next few reviews, but I ultimately deemed these to be too small to show my images to full advantage.  So for the last review, I decided to throw caution to the wind and brought along 15x20 prints on 17x22 paper and although this proved a bit unwieldy at times, none of the reviewers complained and I will be bringing this size print to Review Santa Fe as well.

I would also recommend that you prepare something to leave behind with each reviewer so they have something to connect you with your images later on.  In my case, I prepare a handful of small cards (~5x7) which contain various of the images I’m showing as well as my contact info.  I gang-print these on a large sheet of Epson Exhibition Fiber and then trim them to the final size, so this is a fairly quick and inexpensive solution.  Be sure to bring plenty of extras, too, as you’ll invariably end up passing them out to your fellow review participants.

I hope this answers your questions, but if not, feel free to drop me a note.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:48:59 am by Audii-Dudii »

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 08:35:50 pm »

Jerry - I'd echo the above comments. A leave-behind is a must, as is a note book to write down the comments from each reviewer. I then glued their business card onto that page. I went to Photolucida and showed bare prints (13x19) in a simple cardboard box. The reviewers I showed to were more interested in content than presentation, imho.

If you go to photolucida's website, they have a guide which I think you can download that has lots of good advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up