Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! IPF8100 move/ink spill  (Read 1394 times)

rphotoboy

Help! IPF8100 move/ink spill
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:19:27 am »

So I recently bought a very cheap used ipf8100 that needed a new print head. In moving it up to my apartment, it was tilted a little too far off-axis for the level 1 move we had set it up for, and it leaked ink from one end (the end away from the display). The ink that came out was green, however, the green ink tank is on the other side. I believe that the yellow and blue ink leaked and mixed together before dripping out of the printer. I opened the printer up, and there isn't any ink outside of the black tray below the ink assembly, and the printer turns on just fine (though it's asking for two new ink tanks, so it won't go online just yet, and I image it will still need a print head, unless all the jostling cleared the jets). My question is this: where could the printer have leaked from? I understand the 8100/9100 have auxialliary ink reservoirs between the tanks and the lines. If it was indeed these that leaked, could they have cross contaminated each other? Will this introduce air into the lines? And if I am totally in over my head, how much will it cost for labor for a canon serviceman to come visit? Is it still possible/ethical to get the canon extended service package? Cheers, Rphotoboy.

nbmz

Re: Help! IPF8100 move/ink spill
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »

Regarding your ink leak...it was probably the waste ink tank.

There is a maintenance cartridge that needs a replacement, but depending on the miles, your previous owner probably filled the internal waste ink tank, which according to canon, requires a service call.

I did exactly what you were going to do, but the printer I was buying would not allow ANY level move.  It just said it needed to contact service, and that's when I found out the bad news.  :(

I guess your gonna have to crack it open to find out where the leak was, and clean 'er up.  I hope it works out for you.  Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up