Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Context on Today's IQ News  (Read 1663 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Context on Today's IQ News
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »

We have put together a list, categorized, and expanded upon the new features that have evolved since the IQ180 prototype units were making the rounds earlier this year. These features will be included in the initial IQ180 units, which should arrive next week to US dealers.

The goal here is to add further detail and add context to the features for your benefit. There is also a list of features that are expected to be implemented in a future firmware updates (June & August).

This list is comparing the final-hardware Phase One IQ series to the prototype and to the P40+ and P65+ which share sensors with IQ140/IQ160. The context and additional information comes from conversations with Lionel, the Head of Image Core (C1's math team), and Ulf, the Head of the Service Department. They are both very excited to see the back shipping to dealers this week and user's in May.

Phase One IQ - Feature Updates

We've also updated the Phase One IQ Tech Specs with today's news.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Context on Today's IQ News
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:38:42 pm »

We have put together a list, categorized, and expanded upon the new features that have evolved since the IQ180 prototype units were making the rounds earlier this year. These features will be included in the initial IQ180 units, which should arrive next week to US dealers.

The goal here is to add further detail and add context to the features for your benefit. There is also a list of features that are expected to be implemented in a future firmware updates (June & August).

This list is comparing the final-hardware Phase One IQ series to the prototype and to the P40+ and P65+ which share sensors with IQ140/IQ160. The context and additional information comes from conversations with Lionel, the Head of Image Core (C1's math team), and Ulf, the Head of the Service Department. They are both very excited to see the back shipping to dealers this week and user's in May.

Phase One IQ - Feature Updates

We've also updated the Phase One IQ Tech Specs with today's news.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Even though I may be butchering some of our CamboWide/Arca Swiss camera sales, this is one of my early favorites:

***Auto Keystone/Perspective Correction: This will save enormous time when using a non shift lens for architecture/interiors/landscape/product since the perspective of each image will be automatically and precisely corrected in Capture One based on how much you tilted the camera up/down/***

This is apparently on any camera.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »

Even though I may be butchering some of our CamboWide/Arca Swiss camera sales, this is one of my early favorites:

***Auto Keystone/Perspective Correction: This will save enormous time when using a non shift lens for architecture/interiors/landscape/product since the perspective of each image will be automatically and precisely corrected in Capture One based on how much you tilted the camera up/down/***

This is apparently on any camera.

Steve Hendrix

Interesting but only moderately so.

How is it going to deal with the cropping/absence of data issue familiar from Photoshop?

Unless you've deliberately shot very wide (thereby cutting down significantly on all those premium-priced pixels) you are going to have to do a fair bit of comping and cloning and building. Auto isn't going to cut it.

Might be useful for small corrections though.

Perhaps most importantly, as we all know from a thousand boring stitches, the shot composed in camera is likely to be the better shot.

The Cambos and Arcas are still worth buying.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:19:57 pm »

Interesting but only moderately so.

How is it going to deal with the cropping/absence of data issue familiar from Photoshop?

Unless you've deliberately shot very wide (thereby cutting down significantly on all those premium-priced pixels) you are going to have to do a fair bit of comping and cloning and building. Auto isn't going to cut it.

Might be useful for small corrections though.

Perhaps most importantly, as we all know from a thousand boring stitches, the shot composed in camera is likely to be the better shot.

The Cambos and Arcas are still worth buying.

Very much agree - and my camera butchering comment was very firmly tongue in cheek. Nevertheless, I do see this as a beneficial feature to many users. It's not ideal. Ideal is a technical/view camera with gear driven movements that are used to correct in camera. But not everyone has such a tool. And many - for better or worse - do correct perspective in post production. For dedicated architectural photographers, that is not the ideal way forward. But for me, the guy who is out shooting with a medium format digital camera but does not have a view or technical camera, it gives me the option. It's just a tool (but a very well implemented tool), that doesn't mean it should be used as a crutch.

Steve
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:24:57 pm »

Re: Auto-Adjust Perspective

Small Adjustments: Even a careful Arca Swiss Cube user (using the bubble levels on the cube) would find it nigh impossible to exceed the accuracy of the digital tilt meter. I know many of our photographers won't let an image out of retouch until all architectural lines are perfect. Select All > Keystone > Auto will take only a few seconds (literally) for hundreds of files compared to hours to hand tweak that last fraction of a degree.

- Sometimes there is not enough rise on a given lens (e.g. 24XL) and both rise and camera-tilt are required. Even on a tech camera.

- When shooting tethered the perspective correction can be applied to the images as-viewed-on-the-screen so composition can be tweaked as the images are captured.
Pages: [1]   Go Up