Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DM22/AptusII 5 vs Aptus 22  (Read 2844 times)

dizzyg44

DM22/AptusII 5 vs Aptus 22
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:56:48 am »

Hi all,

I'm looking for feedback from folks that may have used both of these backs.

I realize that they both use the same sensor and are basically the same except for FW800 and maybe a better display.  What I'm really curious about is the usablility differences of the newer back.

I currently have the Aptus22 and absolutely love the image quality that it puts out.  I do find that the responsiveness of it to be horribly slow though for image preview, viewability of the display is also tough in any decent light.  How much better (if any) is the display?  Are the menus and previews any more responsive to user input?

I've been thinking about upgrading lately since the newer dm22/aptusII 5 are not that far off in price and would like the faster put and if possible a better/more responsive display as well as support under C1 Pro (in db mode at least since the aptus22 isn't support without buying).

It's a shame the DF body won't take a film back.  I'm considering selling/trading the back by itself and buying a DM kit (I love leaf shutters) while keeping my P1 AF and current lenses as backup/film duty.

Thanks
Garrett

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Re: DM22/AptusII 5 vs Aptus 22
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:33:36 am »

Hi,

You may wish to bear in mind that the 22MP is the oldest sensor in the Leaf lineup, albeit from what I heard it is a good implementation of that sensor. The next generation was the 28MP and 33MP sensors and both are same except for different physical size, hence the pixel difference. Mine is 28MP Aptus and I have nothing but good to speak of it. Newer yet are the 40MP and 56MP sensors. Newest technology is the 80MP sensor.

With each generation sensor there have been improvements in noise and ISO performance. Starting with 40MP and 56MP seems also in colors.

For Leaf support I imagine you should go with a Leaf back and not a DM? Perhaps ask what your Leaf dealer has as far as upgrade programs? It may be worth stepping upwards in more than just the interface, or as alternative perhaps ask them what it would cost to make a hardware upgrade of your current Aptus to an Aptus II? That might be a possibility.

Regards
Anders

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:19 am »

Hi Garrett

I demoed this back last year through the help of Paul Slotboom from Optechs Digital and found it to be very fast with its FW 800 connection, much faster than my Nikon D3 with USB connection using it tethered in the studio. The screen while nice and usable is still no match compared to the D3/D3x VF screens however but probably much better than any other existing MF screens except the newer P1 IQ backs. The IQ in general is very good on the Aptus II-5 back especially at its base ISO of 25-50 and this even with long exposure of half a minute and more. At ISO 100 IQ is still pretty good but not as smooth as the lower ISO's and by 200 and 400 noise does become readily apparent. Personally I did not care for the Mamiya camera bodies but should emphasize the one I used was not their latest incarnation either which is supposedly a much better camera body. The screen seemed bright enough in outside conditions and in this regard similar to the Nikon Dslr's though not as resolute.

BTW, I found the folks at Optechs Digital in Seattle to be great to work with. Hopefully this helps.

Rob

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:20:05 am »

The AFI II 7 back (33 mp) does quite well up to 100 ISO, and very nice at 200. Past that, there is some noticeable loss at 400. Colors are good, responsiveness decent, but not overwhelming. I don't think the image quality is that much better than the older 9 mu pixels (vs. the 6.6 mu ones used) in the older Phase backs, but you get a lot more resolution, which is very nice. It does holds highlights better. Very nice back overall.   
Geoff

TMARK

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:03:54 pm »

I have a 54s and it is a noticable speed improvement over the A22.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »

I would keep the Aptus22 or upgrade to the AptusII7
I would skip the AptusII5, it's a great back don't get me wrong but the profit for an Aptus22 user will be not that much.
The step to the AptusII7 was a nice one for me personally, I find the image a bit more "real" and add the firewire800 and slightly better display and it's a good upgrade.

The Aptus22 however is a great back, and sometimes I really miss the ISO25.
Pages: [1]   Go Up