Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single click is double click!  (Read 8510 times)

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
Single click is double click!
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:50:22 am »

The problem of single mouse clicks becoming double mouse clicks is a fairly ancient one and is well described on the net, but I have yet to see a solution. I am now suffering from this ailment and it is ruining my workflow. I'm a Mac person, but Windows people report the problem too (Microsoft acknowledge it and offer a solution).

Here is my particular version of this problem: If I click on a file to select it, it will open as if I had double clicked it. This is maddening if you merely want to rename the file or drag it to a new location. This behaviour happens both in the Finder and in programs like Adobe Bridge. In Mail, if I delete a message, I run the risk of deleting the next message as well, as if I had clicked twice. If I click the mouse to select a text entry point in Mail, I select the whole word. The problem is inconsistent, but so frequent that it is a serious handicap.

Apparently the problem is limited to my MacPro running OS10.6.6. It does not appear to occur on my MacBook (also running 10.6.6). It is not mouse-dependent. I have three mice (two Logitech and one Wacom, two old, one brand new). All are cordless, and all share the symptoms. The Wacom mouse (part of the tablet package) has always had this problem. It draws its power from the tablet.

I have played with the mouse settings in System Preferences to no avail.

Any ideas?

francois

Re: Single click is double click!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:49:04 am »

Does your problem also occur when you use a different user account?
Francois

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:59 am »

I logged in as a Guest and the problem did not recur, at least not with fairly limited testing. This being the case, do you suggest I create a new Admin account?

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:10:13 am »

Eric,
If we assume that the issue is related to your user account then you can either try to find what's wrong in your current account or - as you suggested - create a new admin account.

Good luck!
Francois

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:40:11 am »

Do a quick comparison of the settings on the Mouse and Universal Access panels of System Preferences.

Also check what programs are listed on the Log-in Items tab of the Accounts panel.

Also, you might delete your prefs files and see if that helps -- a good bit less trouble than porting everything to a new User Account.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:42:15 am by KirbyKrieger »

francois

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:04:57 am »

Do a quick comparison of the settings on the Mouse and Universal Access panels of System Preferences.

Also check what programs are listed on the Log-in Items tab of the Accounts panel.

Also, you might delete your prefs files and see if that helps -- a good bit less trouble than porting everything to a new User Account.
Agreed, if that works then it's not only less trouble but also a lot quicker than moving the current account to a new one (which can cause problems with permissions).
Francois

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:08:31 pm »

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions, François and Kirby. Before I take major steps, I'd like to ask for clarification on two points.

The first is: Which particular prefs should I junk?

Number two is: What role might log-in items play in the creation of my problem?

I have checked Universal Access and Mouse settings in System Preferences. As far as I can see, I am not making any use of Universal Access.

francois

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:53:50 am »

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions, François and Kirby. Before I take major steps, I'd like to ask for clarification on two points.

The first is: Which particular prefs should I junk?

Number two is: What role might log-in items play in the creation of my problem?

I have checked Universal Access and Mouse settings in System Preferences. As far as I can see, I am not making any use of Universal Access.

1 • I would move the following files to the Desktop (so you can move them back if the issue is not fixed):

com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist
com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist
com.apple.universalaccess.plist

You need to log out from your session.

2 • Look if you have nothing in your log-in items that might have something to do with mouse prefs. FWIW, I only have iTunesHelper in my login items. On my other Mac, I have iTunesHelper and Dropbox.

You might also have background agents that are launched at login… But, first, try with the above files and keep us posted and good luck!
Francois

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:57 am »

I deleted two of the three prefs François suggested (though I didn't seem to have com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist), and checked the log-in items for my account. None of these has any obvious (to me) connection with the mouse.

I am now testing the behaviour of my three mice (see how they run) ...

More anon.

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 05:42:07 am »

UPDATE: My new mouse is now performing fault-free, though some double clicks need repeating to get a file or folder to open. The other, older, mice are just as bad as they were. Perhaps they're just worn out.

Hmmmm. Has nobody else here had this problem? Am I only the only one condemned to this small hell?

francois

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:21:47 am »

UPDATE: My new mouse is now performing fault-free, though some double clicks need repeating to get a file or folder to open. The other, older, mice are just as bad as they were. Perhaps they're just worn out.

Hmmmm. Has nobody else here had this problem? Am I only the only one condemned to this small hell?
Eric,
Personally, I haven't experienced the double-click hell but if you google, you'll find plenty of users stuck with this issue. I gather that some mice are causing the problem and sometimes software also. I have one Logitech mouse that does single-clicks only (double-clicking is impossible) but all my other mice are OK (Apple Magic Mouse, Apple Mighty Mouse, McAlly [can't remember the model], Trust BT). I don't use any additional mouse-related software.

At least, you found a mouse that performs as expected...
Francois

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 10:25:33 am »

Yes, François, I initially sought solutions on Google, but there is nothing like a consensus as to how to deal with the problem. It affects Windows users and Mac users, OSX and OS9 users, Logitech and Microsoft mice, and so on. After several days of testing, I've concluded that in my case it's a hardware issue. New Logitech (M705) behaves, old Logitech (MX Revolution) doesn't.

Many thanks for all your suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up