Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 503CW with Leaf DB - sync/cable issues  (Read 2353 times)

epines

• ethan pines photography
503CW with Leaf DB - sync/cable issues
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:18:54 pm »

I posted these questions in another topic, but they're too important (to me, at least) to bury there. This is a major issue, one that at times ruins my otherwise good experience using my V system with a digital back. Here it is:

1. Misfires, likely from the cabling from lens to back. I'd love to know if others have a misfire problem and what they do about it. I have an Aptus 54S on a 503CW (I've had the back for about two years now), and nearly everything I shoot is with strobes (so I'm also cabling from the back to a transmitter). Quality is usually very good. My biggest problem with using a DB on the analog Hassy is the occasional misfired shot due to a poor cable connection. Sometimes there can be a frustrating number of misfires in a row, even when I manipulate and tweak and move the cable between shots. If I stay on a tripod, there are usually very few misfires (but it does happen). If I go handheld, they increase dramatically, since the cable seems to get nudged by my hands. On an editorial shoot, it's frustrating, can cause missed good shots, and ruins the rhythm of the shoot. On a commercial shoot, it is an absolute deal-breaker.

If it were the DB-transmitter connection creating the problem, the shots would just be dark from the strobes not firing. But the problem is almost always that the back hasn't received an image at all, so it seems to be the lens-DB connection.  I've had the sync ports cleaned on all my lenses, and I use gold-tipped sync cords special ordered from Paramount. Has anyone else found a better solution? When this happens, it makes me want to chuck all the stuff out the window and buy an H system. But I love the V system and am very deep into it, with an SWC, Flexbody, 40, 50, 60, 80, 110 and 120. All of which I use.

2. Using the 203FE. If I had my 203FE modified by the factory, could I use it without a lens-to-back cable (considering that my back is a Leaf, not a Hasselblad)? And what do I lose from the body if I do this?

thanks

ethan pines
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:31:09 pm by epines »

ced

Re: 503CW with Leaf DB - sync/cable issues
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:01:18 am »

If it is better when you are on a tripod, perhaps the cables are moving about too much.  Try taping them in a fixed position.
Try selecting another camera in the choice offered (Like Large Format etc. and see if that alters anything).
Hope this points in the right direction or get in touch with the closest back supplier in your area.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:01:32 am »

Ethan this was my reply in the other thread:

Assuming that the cables and the back are OK, I would suggest having the lenses serviced and the sync ports replaced with new ones, including the little coil spring inside. This is a rather inexpensive repair and I think it is well worth it
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:27:03 am »

Ethan

I think the problem lies with your Aptus back. It seems most unlikely to me that all your lenses would have a sync contact problem. If it was just one or two lenses which misfired out of your collection, then we would say that you had a lens problem.

As you are doing this for a living, I would think very seriously about getting a Hasselblad CFV-50 or 39 and selling the Aptus. Then you will need no sync cable for the 503, and a factory mod for the 203FE will sort out all your problems. You can use the CFV on the SWC without a cable as well.

John
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:52:53 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:26:02 pm »

Thanks to everyone for your replies. On the advice of ced and Yair, I switched the back's settings to Large Format, and it seems to be working well. I can't get it to misfire with any lenses. Hopefully that's solved it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up