Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aptus 75 Resale  (Read 3340 times)

jonathan.lipkin

Aptus 75 Resale
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:38:44 pm »

I'm considering the purchase of an Aptus 75 to use for about a year or two after which time I'd resell it. I'm working with a local dealer to purchase, but unsure of the best way to resell. eBay has few for sale and almost none sold over the last few years. Are people selling through other channels? Opinions on whether there will be a demand for the camera in a year?

Graham Welland

Re: Aptus 75 Resale
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:10:19 pm »

I suspect you'll find that quite a few of these end up being recycled through the various upgrade programs from Phase/Leaf/Hasselblad and their dealers. Keep an eye on the dealer stocks at places like Capture Integration, Optechs Digital & Digital Transitions and you'll see these pop up from time to time.

Personally, I'd be wary of selling something like an Aptus outside of a community like here or GetDPI, or as a trade in on an upgrade later with a dealer. I got my Aptus 65 via a trade in from a community like here from a trusted individual which was a pretty stress free deal. I would be very careful on a site like eBay since you really don't have much to base the buyer's credentials on - I'm not saying that you shouldn't sell there but be VERY careful with something high dollar like this.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:11:51 pm by Graham Welland »
Graham

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:32:11 pm »

Thanks, Graham. I have a reputable dealer to buy from, just worried about getting cash in my hand when I am ready to part with the back. Only intend to use it for a year or two, then sell, not upgrade. Dealers generally don't give very high prices when buying equipment. I have some contacts in NYC which I suppose I'll pursue.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:56:30 am »

I'm considering the purchase of an Aptus 75 to use for about a year or two after which time I'd resell it. I'm working with a local dealer to purchase, but unsure of the best way to resell. eBay has few for sale and almost none sold over the last few years. Are people selling through other channels? Opinions on whether there will be a demand for the camera in a year?
What is the price/specification/compatibility?

I will be buying another digital back sometime... but it will be for Hasselblad V.

Are you buying new, and if so why?

Are you expecting to lose 3/4 of the value in two years?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:59:49 am »

Dick, I expect to pay about 10-12k for the aputs 75 used, based on what I've been told. I had been thinking about a V mount hasselblad because Kapture Group is having a sale on Fulji 680 backs, but only in V-mount. But, using eBay as a guide (and I think now that was a bad idea as little medium format digital sells there), I decided that few to no v mount backs were being sold, so I would have little chance of reselling.

I really have no idea what the Aptus will resell for in two years. I was hoping about 75-80% of what I paid for it, but I have little data to base that on.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:42:40 am »

John, I think this a factory-refurb model with warranty, hence the higher price.

Graham Welland

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 11:38:48 am »

For that price you could get yourself an Aptus II 7 or 8 used from a dealer.
Graham

TMARK

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »

I bought my 75s for $5800 18 months ago.  I paid $5900 for my 54s three years ago.  Both from private parties, either going out of business or moving up.  High shot counts.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 12:41:55 pm »

Tmark - how did you find each other? Mutual aquaintances?

TMARK

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 02:37:18 pm »

J.Lipkin:  Yes, friends of mine, although one was on NYC Craigslist.  When I made contact with the seller I discovered that he was, in fact, a very good friend.

mediumcool

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 10:56:35 am »

Jonathan,

you’ve started off well by posting here; if you participate here and at places like GetDPI, you will become part of the community.

That will make it easier to sell the back when it becomes time. You could even link back to this discussion to demonstrate your bona fides (adding some sample shots too)!

:)
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

donaldt

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 09:04:29 am »

a piece of expensive equipment like this would be difficult to sell regardless of where to sell it
I have a Hasselblad H3dii-50 that I was gonna sell a while back (was thinking to switch to the Rollei system)
but after about 3 weeks of posting
I decided to keep it and invest into its lenses, and most importantly, be happy with it

why dont you leave the selling part for now, get it, use it, and make some really good pictures that are worthy of the back first
I mean 2013, man, we dont even know if we will still be around
if the time does come, you must sell it, you can always list it on here for lower than the market price, I am sure it will go before long

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:08 pm »

Actually, worrying about the selling is probably prudent but the market changes so fast that value is hard to predict 2 years in the future and thus almost useless to try and calculate.  I've sold 2 leaf backs on this site however, the last one last December to a buyer in Hong Kong,  and  have never had a problem, but the price needs to be competitive.  I've also sold other expensive equipment as well as bought the same, so getting rid of it will not be a problem if your price is right and you're patient.

LKaven

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 03:16:01 pm »

Doug Petersen mentioned something yesterday about having a factor refurbished and warrantee'd Aptus 75 for < $8500.  It would not be such a bad deal at that price, if it's true.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 03:43:42 pm »

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful and detailed replies. At the moment, I've narrowed the search down to a Rollei X-act 6x9 technical camera with a Phase one p45+ or a refurbished Hasselblad H3d39. Both have pros and cons, which I'm weighing...

I'll keep you up to date

-jl

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 04:27:05 pm »

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful and detailed replies. At the moment, I've narrowed the search down to a Rollei X-act 6x9 technical camera with a Phase one p45+ or a refurbished Hasselblad H3d39. Both have pros and cons, which I'm weighing...

I'll keep you up to date

-jl

If you're going to use the back on a technical camera then my vote (yes I work for Leaf) would go for the Aptus 75. Live View is far better than both other backs and its behaviour with movements in terms of falloff and colour shifts is better (Dalsa Vs Kodak thing). If you use electronic shutters then they integrate well in the software, if you use Copal shutters then you only need 1 sync cable.
Then you also have a choice of software: Capture One and Leaf Capture...
I would not by any of these backs without testing them first, preferably on your camera and side-by-side, if possible of course...

Good luck

yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 04:47:01 pm »

Thanks, Yair. I've tested the Aptus on a Toyo field and vx100 and wasn't happy with the cameras, but the back was fine. I've also tested the Phase one twice, and think it suits my needs pretty well. Haven't noticed any color casts from the tilt or shifts that I did. The Rollei is a fantastic camera. Comparable to the Linhoff 679, not quite as nice, but much lighter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up