Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad and Phase One  (Read 6135 times)

ron lacy

Hasselblad and Phase One
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:59:55 am »

A local guy is selling a Hasselblad 2000 FC and lenses for an attractive price.  I am only interested in this if I can put a digital back on the camera and get the better resolution and dynamic range benefits vs my nikon dslr.  I have tried to do some research on this but so far I haven't received a definite answer to this question:  Does Phase One make a digital back that would fit and work on this camera?  All of the Phase One literature and websites say they fit the 500 series Hasselblads.  Does that include the 2000 FC?  Also any opinion on the reliability of the 2000 FC would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for any useful information.

Ron

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Hasselblad and Phase One
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:30:46 am »

I haven't received a definite answer to this question:  Does Phase One make a digital back that would fit and work on this camera?  All of the Phase One literature and websites say they fit the 500 series Hasselblads.  Does that include the 2000 FC?

Now you have: No.

The Hassy V mount phase backs will work with any of the 500 series bodies but not the 200/2000 series bodies. Technically speaking it "works" but would require a separate wakeup button to be pushed prior to every exposure making it not worth discussing.

The 200/2000 series lenses, including the infamous 110/2 along with 500 series lenses, can be used on any of the Mamiya or Phase One 645 bodies. They gain autofocus confirmation but require manual stop down.

My suggestion on wading into the waters of medium format digital is always the same. Find what works for you first and then find a good deal on it from someone/somewhere you trust. Finding a good deal and then evaluating whether it works for you is, in my opinion the easiest/most-common mistake you can make.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:33:02 am by dougpetersonci »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:40:16 am »

The Hasselblad 2000 cameras are now getting old and AFAIK are no longer serviced by Hasselblad. Certainly spares are very scarce. The 500 series are still serviced and spares availability is good, even for the old 500 C/Ms. So even a cheap 2000 FC is not a terribly good deal (unless it comes with a 110mm f2, of course).

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

ron lacy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:11:10 pm »

Thanks very much for the reply and the information.  That will make my decision much easier.  BTW, it sounds like the 110 lens is special.  Can you explain what makes it so special?  I really don't know anything about this lens.

Thanks again for the information.

Ron

RawheaD

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:33 am »

BTW, it sounds like the 110 lens is special.  Can you explain what makes it so special?

F2

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:32:17 am »

Well, yes, it's f2 which is bloody fast for a 110mm lens. Remember, it's not just that the wide aperture gives you the opportunity to hand-hold in low light, or enables you to use wafer-thin DOF for portraiture. On a reflex MF camera like the 'Blad it also gives you the brightest and best image in the viewfinder that you will ever see. Which means that you can focus and compose more easily with this lens than any other in the range. All of this would be as naught if the optical performance was average, of course, but the 110mm f2 is one of the very best lenses that Zeiss has ever made.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 03:34:18 am »

Thanks very much for the reply and the information.  That will make my decision much easier.  BTW, it sounds like the 110 lens is special.  Can you explain what makes it so special?  I really don't know anything about this lens.

It is still sharp wide open at f2 but with a great bokeh. It is also a perfect focal length for portraits, imo. (The same lens is also available on the Rollei 6000 platform, which is the version I have).

ron lacy

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:52:41 am »

Good information about the 110.  I appreciate all of the input.
Ron

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:12:15 pm »

I would just put my further 2 cents in, the 2000 series Hasselblad is just not a good camera for digital. I tried one out with a P25 a few years ago, just because I wanted to use the 110 lens.
It only works at 1/60th and slower, the shutters are very fragile and have no replacement parts. A later 200 series that has been modified for digital would be a much more viable solution.
Also someone's suggestion of using the 110 on another camera with an adapter might be a good one.

ron lacy

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 12:54:04 pm »

David-

Good information to know.  Thanks for the reply.

Ron

rhsu

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:05:22 pm »

Late into this thread, 110m (the newer version - which had an improved double coatings) lens was by standard during my days with 6x6 film and then with Imacon and P1.  So the 7.2 to 6.8pixel pitch DB was the smallest I had applied it with the said lens and the images were great.

cheers

nightfire

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 01:24:36 am »

I am only interested in this if I can put a digital back on the camera and get the better resolution and dynamic range benefits vs my nikon dslr.

To actually produce better resolution by focusing manually, your eyesight will need to outperform a DSLR autofocus system. Unless you're certain that you can manage this now and in the years to come, I'd be careful here. Just recently, I traded in my Hasselblad V + P1 back for an autofocus 645AF due to deteriorating eyesight. This platform change cost me several times the amount I thought I would save by buying into the Hasselblad system in the first place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up