Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Choices.  (Read 1477 times)

scrinch

• www.jkwhitephoto.com
Paper Choices.
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:03:37 am »

Having just bought a Epson7890 and needing a paper change I am daunted by the huge selections of papers out there, and as I can't seem to find a sample pack for the Epson papers I am interested in, I would like some thoughts.

I print a lot of smaller images at reasonable prices , and need roll paper that comes in under 15 cents for a 5x7 print.  From my recent reading it seems that matte and semi gloss paper works best with ultrachrome inks and I also like the look of a flatter paper.  I have stuck with Epson papers in the past as the longevity testing seems to be with Epson ink and paper combo's.

My short list is Enhanced Matte, Premium Lustre and Semimatte papers, but if anyone has a favorite other than these I would like to hear about them.

The second related question is :  Are the canned Epson profiles as good as it gets for Epson papers/printers, or is it worth getting a custom profile? 

Sven W

Re: Paper Choices.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:48:35 am »

Try ShadesofPaper for sample packs.

My Epson favourite is the Hot/Cold Press Natural. Nowadays the Epson generic profiles are among the best you can get.
But you never know: a custom is always the optimal solution.

And you should absolutely try other papers, such as Canson, Hahnemühle, Harman, Moab, Museo et al. They are all excellent products. Remember that Epson doesn't have any paper mills  :D

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:48:29 am »

I suggest searching this forum using the search box in the top right of the page. There are tons of threads on just about any paper you can think of, including threads asking for paper recommendations. You can also try looking at my inkjet paper list (www.danecreekfolios.com/inkjet-paper-list/) to do some sorting and filtering of the options based on your requirements.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

mikev1

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:39:32 pm »

I would avoid the enhanced matte way too thin for my taste.  The paper can easily get oversatured with ink and start to ripple it areas.  Once you compare some other matte papers to it you'll see a huge difference.  All that being said it really is a matter of personal preference a lot of time.

The standard advice to get some sample packs and make some prints is the way to go.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:33:45 pm »

I would avoid the enhanced matte way too thin for my taste.  The paper can easily get oversatured with ink and start to ripple it areas.  Once you compare some other matte papers to it you'll see a huge difference.  All that being said it really is a matter of personal preference a lot of time.

The standard advice to get some sample packs and make some prints is the way to go.
Enhanced matte also has a lot of OBA and rapidly loses the whiteness as the fluorophore fades.  IMO it is only a good paper for proofing and not for display purposes.

scrinch

• www.jkwhitephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:46:53 am »

Thanks for the info and also leads on where to get sample packs.  The Enhanced Matte is out. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up