Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bronzing on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper  (Read 1376 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Bronzing on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:56:57 pm »

I have spent the past couple of months printing B&W images for my upcoming show on Museo Silver Rag. It's a WONDERFUL paper (other than periodic flecks embedded in the paper). But I'll live with that, in return for it's great quality. I've gone through about eight rolls and will continue to use it!

Recently I started printing my color work for the show on Epson Exhibition Fiber. First off, I notice a "film" on the surface of the paper. You might call it a haze. If I touch the surface of the paper, it leaves a mark (that can be seen if light shines across the surface of the paper). I've been wearing white gloves, but even then, fingerprints show up. Just for grins, I took my gloved finger and rubbed it around on the paper .... as you would if you were dusting furniture -- the haze is removed when wiped .... leaving a trail where I wiped it.

But more annoying is the bronzing. The Museo Silver Rag paper showed no signs of bronzing -- none. Exhibition Fiber is really bad .... as bad as I've seen on any paper. It's showing up over dark areas. My prints have ink coverage on 100% of the surface, so that's not the issue. Many times bronzing shows up then.

Beyond this, when I cut the paper, I can tell that it's not 100% cotton rag (as is the Silver Rag). I recycle the silver rag, but assume that I can't recycle the Exhibition Fiber.

Ideas on the film issue; bronzing, or the recyclability of the paper?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:03:28 pm by bellimages »
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Bronzing on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:25:33 am »

what printer are  you using?  I haven't noticed this with EFP and use it quite a bit.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:28:37 am »

I print with an Epson 7900. The ink is well within its shelf life. 

You've never noticed the hazy film that I am experiencing? This is my first time using Exhibition Fiber, so I have no benchmark. Could it be defective paper?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:34:45 am »

THe x900 inkset does have some bronzing and gloss differential in the highlights especially. Are you only seeing this on the inked areas? Do the un-inked areas have this haze? I think this question is critical.

Exhibition Fiber is a fiber base, or alpha-cellulose, or "wood pulp" paper, not a cotton rag paper, thus the differences you describe when cutting. I personally love wood pulp papers and I especially like Exhibition Fiber sheets for it's "lie flat" quality with no curling at the edges. And yes, you can certainly recycle it.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up