Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS2 slow on new 1.67 Powerbook  (Read 3988 times)

dazzajl

CS2 slow on new 1.67 Powerbook
« on: September 01, 2005, 08:08:32 am »

Have you tried the old software on the new machine and vice versa?

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 06:44:12 pm »

I have a several-year-old PC, and also noticed that CS2 runs noticeably slower than CS.  Not just you...

I think it's a conspiracy between hardware and software manufacturers to get us to upgrade our hardware more often. :laugh:

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

francois

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 03:50:35 am »

You should make sure that your new PowerBook has enough memory (1GB at least). You should also read this article. It looks like CS2 uses a different memory management than CS.

Both PowerBooks share the same processor and same amount of processor cache. The new 1.67 should outperform the old 1.33 - provided you have the same version of Photoshop and same amount of RAM (hard drive perfomance can also play a role) running on both machines.

Francois
Francois

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 04:20:59 pm »

Are you using the same version of Mac OS X? I understand that Photoshop CS 2 has a more efficient memory manangement when teamed with Mac OS X 104.x (aka Tiger).

Francois
Francois

avsinc

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 06:53:05 am »

I have had a 17" powerbook 1.33, using PSCS, for a while now and it has been great for everything except recognizing the CF card reader when it is inserted, pretty slow there.  Most Photoshop tasks show virtualy instant results.  I have just purchased a 1.67 powerbook (the older one goes to the new college kid) and noticed right away that the new CS2 is much slower at every task than the older machine.  I am very disapointed at this slowdown and wondered if anyone else has noticed the same.

davidr805

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 04:31:15 pm »

I have the 1ghz 768 RAM 15" powerbook .. an Photoshop run fast enough .. i just added the extra RAM .. and it make a big difference .. so if you upgrade your powerbook but don't have extra ram .. that my be the problem..

One more thing .. if you added all the programs I recommend checking permits on disk utilities .. or running Tech Tool pro (de-fragment the HD)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 07:07:57 pm »

I second Lisa's comments.  A very fast CS2 pagefile disk would probably help - CS2 seems to do a lot more swapping than CS.  I have 1.5 GB of RAM.

guidoa

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 03:34:48 pm »

I agree CS2 needs a lot of RAM, my Tosh Sat Pro only came with 256RAM, so I am getting an extra 512 which should improve performance.  Didnt have this problem with PS7.

avsinc

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 09:40:34 am »

Thanks to all who have replied to this post, I was away for the holiday and couldn't respond.  The new Powerbook has 1.5 GB RAM and runs the latest Tiger OS. Because it is so new there is no need for defrag.  I just read the Adobe article which suggested removing the "~" sign in the "Bigger Tiles" Extension in the Plug-ins folder, and reducing the RAM allocation to 60% in preferences.  This seemed to help ever so slightly but still the speed of everything is much slower than the older 1.33 machine running 10.2.7 and PSCS, which was simply "plug and play" - no monkeying with settings anywhere.  It is very frustrating when you spend hard earned money "upgrading" your hardware and software to the "latest and greatest" only to end up with such a "downgrade" on performance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up