Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 AFDII AF stops working, sometimes  (Read 2010 times)

AndrewMcD

Mamiya 645 AFDII AF stops working, sometimes
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »

The other day I was using my AFD II and the AF stopped working on the 80/2.8. It would make some noise, but wouldn't focus. Popped off the lens, put it back on. No help.

Manual focused for the rest of the shoot.

Later that night, checking the camera, the AF starts working again of its own accord.

This isn't the only weird electrical bug with this camera, just the latest. Any thoughts. Batteries were new, etc. Focus ring turns cleanly...

ced

Re: Mamiya 645 AFDII AF stops working, sometimes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:51:47 am »

Try and get hold of another lens and test it against the one you have.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:27:29 am »

The autofocus slider was likely slightly out of place. Pull out your system and take the autofocus slider on the body and move it halfway between S and M and then try to autofocus. You'll hear the body gear clicking against the lens gear but since they aren't locked together the teeth of the gearing doesnt line up and the body only makes noise.

It's not easy to accidentally turn this dial - but it's not impossible by any means. It is however easy enough to avoid/fix once you realize what that noise means.

On the DF the dial was made slightly more firm. I don't know (not having spoken to the engineers directly about it) if this was the specific reason, but regardless it has that effect.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

shelby_lewis

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:59:22 am »

My afd III does this on rare occasions... I've found that yanking the battery pack out of the camera and then reinserting it solves the problem.

AndrewMcD

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »

Thanks! This was the problem. I must have done something to it while shooting. I went back and tried your suggestion and sure enough, that was my exact experience. To your point, now I know how to avoid it or what to look for in the future.

Thanks again for your help!

The autofocus slider was likely slightly out of place. Pull out your system and take the autofocus slider on the body and move it halfway between S and M and then try to autofocus. You'll hear the body gear clicking against the lens gear but since they aren't locked together the teeth of the gearing doesnt line up and the body only makes noise.

It's not easy to accidentally turn this dial - but it's not impossible by any means. It is however easy enough to avoid/fix once you realize what that noise means.

On the DF the dial was made slightly more firm. I don't know (not having spoken to the engineers directly about it) if this was the specific reason, but regardless it has that effect.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:48:58 pm »

Thanks! This was the problem.