Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 120 macro f/5.6 photo examples  (Read 2344 times)

AndreG

• photohippique.com
Schneider 120 macro f/5.6 photo examples
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:32:50 pm »

Hi,
I am considering the jump to medium format with an Alpa 12 SWA or TC. My interest is macro photography of orchids. Are there some members of the group that would care to share what a Schneider 120 macro f/5.6 lens can produce?

Thank you for your time.

darr

Re: Schneider 120 macro f/5.6 photo examples
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 09:28:08 pm »

I use a 120mm f/5.6 Schneider macro lens on an Arca Swiss M-line2. Would you not be limiting yourself without a bellows? Unless you are purchasing the Alpa macro adapters (expensive). I do own and use an Alpa Max and it is a beautiful camera, but I would not use it for macro work. Here is a recent shot with the Schneider Digitar 120 macro lens. This is a single image with no focus stacking. I am currently working on a portfolio of macro flowers and have just started focus stacking, but I do not have the time at the moment to finish one for preview. Best of luck with your camera purchase.

Darr

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:31:43 pm by darr »

AndreG

• photohippique.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:46:01 pm »

Thank you for answering and for the magnificent photo, I visited your site just a few moments ago and was impressed by your work.

Yes, I did come to the conclusion that a studio bellow camera would be far better, more flexable for macro work on Orchids and also more feasable financially. Guess, I have more research to do. I am curious, did you try your Alpa with the Schneider 120? Yes, you answered my question by stating that you are using an Arca Swiss but still...

darr

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »

Thank you for answering and for the magnificent photo, I visited your site just a few moments ago and was impressed by your work.

Yes, I did come to the conclusion that a studio bellow camera would be far better, more flexable for macro work on Orchids and also more feasable financially. Guess, I have more research to do. I am curious, did you try your Alpa with the Schneider 120? Yes, you answered my question by stating that you are using an Arca Swiss but still...  

{Thank you for the compliment.}

No, I did not purchase the Schneider 120 macro Digitar in an Alpa mount--that would be way too expensive for me. I own two Alpa lenses, the 43mm and 72mm since I use my Max for landscape work. Besides, I use a bellows camera for macro work--have been since the '80s.   ;D

Here is a quick focus stack of 26 shots with the Schneider 120 + A/S M2 + P45 + a bit of softness added. It is the first time I have tried this technique using Zerene Stacker. When you shoot MF digital, dof is about 1/4" at best I think, so if Macro with MF digital will be new for you, keep that in mind and try using Zerene or similar software. Zerene Stacker gives you a full version to try free for 30 days--they will get my business.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:50:01 pm by darr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up