Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Profiler - the good, the bad, and the ugly  (Read 3749 times)

rasworth

i1Profiler - the good, the bad, and the ugly
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:53:03 pm »

After all my criticism aimed at i1Profiler I bought it, and an uvcut i1Pro.  I've put in six days or so, cranked thru several targets, rc and fine art, on both a 3880 and a 3800.  In no particular order here are my observances:

1. I've run into one real bug - if I start the profile process right after measuring the target it goes to 96%, spins awhile, and then abends (Windows 7 closes it down).  The work-around is to always shut down i1Profiler after saving measurements, bring it back up and it seems to be solid.  I've sent in logs, etc., to Chromix, no ahas! yet.
Certainly qualifies as an "ugly".

2. The interface is different; however, after some head scratching and usage it's workable, just quite a change from PMP.  Once one puts a text editor on the various files it becomes clear how the data is organized; basically each step retains all the data from previous steps in XML form.  Drop a completed profile anywhere and the system picks it up as legitimate data.  I haven't tried to "fool" it, Andrew reported on the lack of error checking in his review.  My opinion is gradually shifting from "bad" to at least closer to "good".

3. The contrast slider has a strong effect on the profile's performance, much more so than any of the others.  The "Colorful" settings of +40 contrast (range is -50 to +50), +40 saturation (-50 to +50) and +75 gray point (0 to 100) is IMO way to "harsh" for rc papers, at least as compared to Classic Plus from PMP.  For a good rc portrait porfile I had to go to -20 +20 50, although I couldn't tell you the extent of the effect of the last two numbers.  Photoshop soft-proofing saves a lot of paper in terms of the relative effect of the controls, set contrast to -50, crank out a profile, and one ends up with a very flat rendering, would not consider using for printing.  BTW the "Colorful" settings for fine art papers works out well, at least by my taste, makes for more pop without losing detail in the dark areas, true for both Red River Fine Art Natural and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag.  The control provided is IMO "good", lack of info "bad".

4. The patch generation, after doping out the process, is great for filling up letter and super b targets.  And it appears to create many more neutral patches than the PMP standards.  There are no "counting" patches along the sides as for the PMP generation, allows one to cram in 1000 patches on a 13x19, but it's also easy to jump a line and receive no warning.  The interface makes it easy to go back and re-read any line, just have to be careful and check position often.  It still retains the white-black borders that enable scanning either direction.  All in all, a "good".

So far I haven't generated a "bad" profile, although as I stated the "Colorful" settings for Red River Ultra Pro Satin made for high contrast.  Still haven't played extensively with the sat, paper gray, and smoothness sliders, so can't really comment on how they affect the results.

Richard Southworth

Jalok

Re: i1Profiler - the good, the bad, and the ugly
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:55:27 am »

The workaround I have discovered is to save the entire workflow before attempting to create the profile for the first time. Then I try to create it and i1Profiler will certainly crash. I rerun i1Profiler, open the saved workflow and try again. Doing this up to 3 times, iProfiler will finally overcome the 96% crash. Interesting enough this bug does not occur with Windows XP, although i1Profiler displays random thousand % numbers after 96%.  Maybe there's a memory leak not tolerated by Windows 7.

Unfortunately, there are many other annoying bugs. Test chart margins are ignored for saved and printed targets. Paper information don't get saved. Measurement averaging does not work. ".ICM" extensions are saved into profile name, even if I delete them before creating a given profile. Sometimes profiles get locked so hard that I have to shut i1Profiler down before succeed in deleting them. Custom perceptual profile settings are different from default profile settings, like many other custom settings to their respective default settings file. We are not allowed to edit patch set parameters after loading any preset. We are not allowed to load, check nor edit lighting and profile settings for printer profile optimization. Special and accented characters are accepted for filenames, media tags, etc, but as soon as they get saved i1Profiler is not able to handle them propertly anymore. We are not able to rename nor delete saved lighting measurements, and unlike the other settings we don't have a context menu that led us directly to the folder where those custom lighting measurements are stored. Despite of being able to select between automatic display control (ADC) and manual brightness/contrast adjustments, none of them let us manually adjust RGB values for whitepoint like i1Match and so many other display profiling software.

Those are only the bugs and limitations that I can remember right now while writing this reply. Surely there're more of them. I hope X-Rite releases a new i1Profiler build very soon because its great profiling engine does not deserve to be controlled by this rough software.

Jalok

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:41:10 am »

I'm replying to this topic once more just to update an workaround for the bug #1 Richard reported to us. Last couple of days things get worse and i1Profiler wasn't able to build any profile anymore and I was always forced to bring workflow files back and forth between Win7 and WinXP to overcome that bug. So, I decided to investigate it a bit more. After playing with many variables (computers, CPUs, startup modes, etc) I have found that changing DEP settings from "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" solved the problem. Not by the reasonable way, as i1Profiler is the first program that need this and as I don't know yet the impact of this change to other programs, but at a minimum people who have experienced this problem may have a better workaround until X-Rite finally finishes this beta-like stage of i1Profiler and releases a new build for it.

fighterkitekook

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 01:13:25 am »

Jalok...
tried the fix you suggested....my computer still closes down at 96%

at least I can start it back up and then it works.??? i'm sure they will fix it up soon enough..for now at least we can get it to work.

IMPORTANT LESSON....SAVE EVERY STEP ALONG THE WAY!!!

I learned the hard way the first time, had to re measure 1200 or so patchs...ugggh

Jalok

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:21:46 pm »

Jalok...
tried the fix you suggested....my computer still closes down at 96%

at least I can start it back up and then it works.??? i'm sure they will fix it up soon enough..for now at least we can get it to work.

IMPORTANT LESSON....SAVE EVERY STEP ALONG THE WAY!!!

I learned the hard way the first time, had to re measure 1200 or so patchs...ugggh

It seemed to work, but sometime after I discovered it works only for a fraction of the profile creation attempts. It's a shame a program to fail so often exactly on its most basic job. And you're correct. SAVE EVERY STEP ALONG THE WAY. I learned it after loosing a 2000+ patch set of targets!
Pages: [1]   Go Up