Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium format digital wannabe  (Read 6055 times)

grilla

• http://thecolorblindphotographer.net
Medium format digital wannabe
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:49:32 am »

I photograph landscapes 90% of the time as a hobby (www.thecolorblindphotographer.net). I long for the day of using my FUji 6 x 9 rangefinder and Bronica 6 x 6. Todays medium format outfits are very inexpensive, even the hassey's. All I am looking for is a body, digital back, and one lens in the 80mm range. The problem for me is the cost of the digital back. Are there any (and yes I have looked) older digital backs available for the mamiya 645 or hasselblad 501CM in the $2000 range that in your opinion would be worth purchasing? Today's latest and greatest digital backs are many times more than my budget, I am seeking yesterdays 20 mp or close digital back. Your recommendations are highly appreciated.

Gary in Oregon

PS I have no desire to shoot film anymore.

darr

Re: Medium format digital wannabe
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:56:42 am »

Gary,

While I can appreciate your optimism, I really do not think it is that easy. Besides the back, you will need to purchase a back adapter to fit your camera body and they can cost in upwards of $1,000; and then there may be some cables and batteries necessary. Try calling the dealers posted on this site to see their offerings. I did what you are trying to do in 12/2009. I purchased a used P45 from Capture Integration and when it was all said and done, I paid $12,000 for the back, $530 for 2 sets of cables, and $1695.00 for a used sliding back totaling, $14,225.00 + tax, etc. Expensive!  (I went back and checked the invoice for specifics).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:10:42 am by darr »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:31:34 pm »

Gary, I'm sorry to say there are no worthwhile options at that price level. How much do you spend on film, processing and scanning over 3 years? A digital back will save you all of that and still have resale value at the end so it might actually be cheaper in the long run if you shoot enough.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »

I am seeking yesterdays 20 mp or close digital back. Your recommendations are highly appreciated.

Gary in Oregon

PS I have no desire to shoot film anymore.
Just keep an eye on Ebay - and wait until you can buy a digiback with the right adapter for your camera thrown in... or decide on any platform e.g. Hassy and start collecting bits.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

henrikfoto

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:09:43 pm »

It is possible to get a back for this money or just a little more.

If you are willing to carry a laptop with you, you can get a Phase one H20 or H25(16or25mp)
back for this price. The results you will get from these backs are fantastic!!

Also the Sinarbacks are cheap used. Look for 54h, 54s or 54m. All these backs are fantastic
but have no screen so you will need a laptop.

Henrik
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:25:44 pm by henrikfoto »

amsp

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:51:41 pm »

My honest advice is this, either be prepared to spend a bit more for a proper used back like a P20-P30 (or equivalent sinar/leaf/hasselblad) or you're really better off with a good DSLR.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:53:26 pm by amsp »

henrikfoto

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:15 pm »

My honest advice is this, either be prepared to spend a bit more for a proper used back like a P20-P30 (or equivalent sinar/leaf/hasselblad) or you're really better off with a good DSLR.

It might be smart to get a back with a screen. Beaides that the H20 and H25 makes just as good pictures as the P20 and P25.

JV

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:21:21 am »

I would look for a 16 MP Hasselblad CFV back which would go on a Hasselblad 500 series camera.  Be prepared to pay around $4-5K.  If you shoot a lot of film you will have that back in no time.  If you only shoot one roll of film per week then very honestly it might not be worthwhile to pursue a digital back option, at least not from a financial point of view.  Good luck!

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 04:29:47 am »

I would look for a 16 MP Hasselblad CFV back which would go on a Hasselblad 500 series camera.  Be prepared to pay around $4-5K.  If you shoot a lot of film you will have that back in no time.  If you only shoot one roll of film per week then very honestly it might not be worthwhile to pursue a digital back option, at least not from a financial point of view.  Good luck!
Some of us use MF digital for more benefits than just saving money on film.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Graham Welland

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 06:18:49 am »

You might want to look at something like the P20 which is available at something close to your budget. You're not going to be blowing away the megapixels but you'll definitely see and benefit from the better dynamic range and colour.

Take a look at this here for sale on this site which is close to your budget:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53149.0
Graham

darr

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 08:39:52 am »

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 09:56:52 pm »

+1.

That is an attractive setup.
Geoff

michaelnotar

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:54 am »

I have a phase one P25 22MP back available for sale and it is not tethered, shoots to CF cards. check out the for sale section. PM me and I will walk you through it and a system.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 07:11:17 am »

If your goal is to maximize image quality for 2.000+ US$, then the only advise I can give you is to get a Pentax K5/Nikon D7000, a good prime lense and a good pano head.

Cheers,
Bernard

JV

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 07:37:24 am »

Some of us use MF digital for more benefits than just saving money on film.

I never claimed the opposite.  I focused on cost because of the constraints mentioned by the OP.

AlBowers

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 01:36:46 pm »

Gary,
Saw your question. There is one option, and it may serve your purpose. Imacon had a Hasselblad V-system digital back that used their Databank. The system is portable, though I would characterize it as a "tethered" system. Not tethered as in requiring a full laptop computer, but in having the Databank drive and battery connected to the back for operation. It was the Imacon V96C with a 16 mpixel CCD (36.9 x 36.9 mm). I have seen these for sale under your $2k mark on occasion for the back alone. Herny's Photo in Toronto had one for $1600 USD recently.
So it is possible though you will have to scratch pretty hard...
Regards,
Al Bowers

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »

Perhaps I should point out how much a 36x36mm sensor crops a 56x56mm frame, and if you want a 3:2 ratio, then you must crop down to 36x24mm which is the same as a full-frame 35mm camera. Suddenly a 50mm lens is not so wide any more and you might not have anything wider.

Graham Welland

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 03:09:09 pm »

Perhaps I should point out how much a 36x36mm sensor crops a 56x56mm frame, and if you want a 3:2 ratio, then you must crop down to 36x24mm which is the same as a full-frame 35mm camera. Suddenly a 50mm lens is not so wide any more and you might not have anything wider.

True, but then again AFAIK nobody produces a 56x56mm digital sensor anyway (at least not without stitching ::)
Graham

Makten

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 03:31:23 pm »

You might not want to hear this, but for around $2000 you would probably get the best possible image quality from a Sony A850 and a Contax Zeiss MM 50/1.4, 50/1.7 or 35/2.8 using a Leitax mount.
The sensor is of course smaller, but for landscapes stopped down, that makes less of a difference than for other purposes, especially if you use good lenses.

http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Sony-cameras.html

For a little bit more money, the Zeiss ZS lenses makes a lot of sense too.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 04:43:01 pm »

Hi,

You are of course right, but there are some sensors that cover 6x4.5 format pretty close. They are very expensive. A small sensor would have a crop factor meaning that it would be hard to find any really wide angle. Also, cropping a 36x36 sensor down to 24x36 would eliminate any size advantage of the digital back over full frame DSLR.

Pentax 645D is also cropped of course, and they have developed a special wide angle lens.

Best regards
Erik

True, but then again AFAIK nobody produces a 56x56mm digital sensor anyway (at least not without stitching ::)
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up