Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6x7 system with Zeiss lenses  (Read 9814 times)

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Re: 6x7 system with Zeiss lenses
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 03:23:23 am »

Hi Graham,

So who is making the H System lenses?

I remember back in 1985 went I lived in Australia talking to the rep form Rollie about the then new Rollie 6006 camera system. Rollie use of course Carl Ziess and Schneider lenses. The also had a cheaper range of lenses called Rolienor lenses or some thing like that which where made under licence in Japan for Rollie.
When I asked him what Japanese lens manufacturer it was I was told Tokina.

If the H System lenses are manufactured in Japan may be its is Tokina as well?

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 04:42:18 am »

Hi Graham,

So who is making the H System lenses?

I remember back in 1985 went I lived in Australia talking to the rep form Rollie about the then new Rollie 6006 camera system. Rollie use of course Carl Ziess and Schneider lenses. The also had a cheaper range of lenses called Rolienor lenses or some thing like that which where made under licence in Japan for Rollie.
When I asked him what Japanese lens manufacturer it was I was told Tokina.

If the H System lenses are manufactured in Japan may be its is Tokina as well?

Simon

There are no Tokina-made lenses for the Rollei 6000 platform, but I think Rollei did make the excellent 'kit' 80mm in-house. As far as I know Fuji makes the H series lenses for Hasselblad.

Makten

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 04:43:41 am »

In my humble opinion the stair image posted by Makten lacks 3D looks. I would say it looks more like a bas-relief work. Carved but still a 2D object. No offense.

That was a very good explanation actually! The "3D" term is a bit annoying since we all have different interpretations of it.
However, this "relief" style is exactly what I want, because it's the closest to 3D I can get with full depth of field and/or flat objects with just structure.
The Zeiss lenses being "too crisp" is also what makes them desirable for me. I don't shoot portraits at all. ::)

I see some suggestions here that I think are large format cameras? That would of course be nice, but I'm really not ready for that yet. :D
I almost exclusively shoot handheld, hence my choice of the Pentax. And I like exact compositions, which sort of rules out rangefinders (already tried it).

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 04:44:30 am »

There are no Tokina-made lenses for the Rollei 6000 platform, but I think Rollei did make the excellent 'kit' 80mm in-house. The rest are Zeiss and Schneider lenses. As far as I know Fuji makes the H series lenses for Hasselblad.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 04:54:47 am »

Hi Graham,

There where 3 lenses in 1985 under the Rollienor name or some thing like that which where made in Japan for Rollie in the Tokina factory as I was told by the Australian rep for Rollie back in 1985.

I could have been misinformation back then, but I had no reason not to believe him. I did see made in Japan on one of these lenses showed to me in there Brisbane show room.

I eventually when with the Mamiya RZ system which 26 year later I am still using.

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 05:05:34 am »

I used the 500 series 'blads for many years, with the 'silver' 50, 80 amd 150. I rmember reading in the BJP that Norman Parkinson had refused a 'free' new 150 from the makers (I assume that to mean the black type) because it was too contrasty for shooting women. He should have known, so I believe it. The main drawback I found with the 150 was that it wasn't a 180; they didn't exist when I bought into the system. If there was another downside to the 'silver' 150 it was that I found it pretty poor for shooting into the light; the Nikkors, on the other hand, handled such situations without problems.

I'm surprised that the Pentax 67 gets such praise; I bought a new Mk 11 and it wasn't what I'd hoped at all, and I got rid of it before the ordered replacement screen arrived. I realised that shutter bounce wasn't something you could avoid as you can mirror slap. But then, I find some other troubles with the D200 and D700: there is no better screen system (for me) than the split image wedge and a grid combined. Sadly, even for the F series, Nikon only made that combination available for use with slow lenses. Crazy. As for the digi bodies above, I really don't know if the screens can even be changed somewhere. I've given up the fight and accepted that I have to make do with what comes in the box. In other words, I've come to believe that we pay much more and also get less choice within whatever we buy; yes, plenty of functions I'll never want to use, but not a lot that I do desire. Of course, were I into af that would be something else, but I don't like it at all, and find that in rotten available darkness (such as bars) I can focus perfectly well with manual lenses of the 1.8 variety as well as my longer 2.8s. It's just that a split-image system would be so much faster in use; it always was, even when my eyes were young and bloody good.

Rob C

Makten

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 05:18:29 am »

I used the 500 series 'blads for many years, with the 'silver' 50, 80 amd 150. I rmember reading in the BJP that Norman Parkinson had refused a 'free' new 150 from the makers (I assume that to mean the black type) because it was too contrasty for shooting women. He should have known, so I believe it. The main drawback I found with the 150 was that it wasn't a 180; they didn't exist when I bought into the system. If there was another downside to the 'silver' 150 it was that I found it pretty poor for shooting into the light; the Nikkors, on the other hand, handled such situations without problems.

That sounds promising! ;D

I'm surprised that the Pentax 67 gets such praise; I bought a new Mk 11 and it wasn't what I'd hoped at all, and I got rid of it before the ordered replacement screen arrived. I realised that shutter bounce wasn't something you could avoid as you can mirror slap.

Hmm, I find the viewfinder of the P67II to be very easy to focus with. Much, much better than any modern 24x36 camera, whatever the screen might be. And I haven't had any problems with shutter bounce, even if I often shoot handheld down to 1/60 or so. Maybe it's only a problem at medium long times on a tripod?

But then, I find some other troubles with the D200 and D700: there is no better screen system (for me) than the split image wedge and a grid combined. Sadly, even for the F series, Nikon only made that combination available for use with slow lenses. Crazy. As for the digi bodies above, I really don't know if the screens can even be changed somewhere. I've given up the fight and accepted that I have to make do with what comes in the box. In other words, I've come to believe that we pay much more and also get less choice within whatever we buy; yes, plenty of functions I'll never want to use, but not a lot that I do desire. Of course, were I into af that would be something else, but I don't like it at all, and find that in rotten available darkness (such as bars) I can focus perfectly well with manual lenses of the 1.8 variety as well as my longer 2.8s. It's just that a split-image system would be so much faster in use; it always was, even when my eyes were young and bloody good.

I've changed the screen in my D700, which helps a lot when using manual focus glass. There are plenty of aftermarket screens, and it's easy to make the switch at your kitchen table or whatever. :)

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 08:24:16 am »

"I've changed the screen in my D700, which helps a lot when using manual focus glass. There are plenty of aftermarket screens, and it's easy to make the switch at your kitchen table or whatever."

That's interesting; what have you used and where did you get it?

Rob C 

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 09:33:28 am »

Yes, I know about Hasselblad, but that's 6x6 and I really prefer 6x7. I don't know about the old Jena glass, but nothing I've seen from that stuff indicates that they would give the "Zeiss look".

I gather you have already concluded there is no Zeiss lens for 6x7, unless you are willing to go with a plate camera and large format Zeiss Planar lenses, or a 6x9 camera such as perhaps a Shen-Hao TFC69 with lens movements. Perhaps you should give that a thought? Of the Zeiss large format lenses the 135mm 3.5 Planar is available used but $$$. There are of course also other large format lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock but it requires researching for what lenses you like the rendering of. Some are actually very affordable used.

If you do like sharp lenses and prime interest is not portraits I can suggest the Mamiya 7. I had it before and sold it off a few months ago. It was difficult thing to sell because I simply found it such an excellent system. All you would need is probably two lenses. I had the 43mm and 80mm. No matter which lenses you would choose they are super sharp. It is a rangefinder camera with the rangefinder mechanism compensating for parallex, but for the 43mm and 50mm there are add on viewfinders for framing. Since it is a rangefinder it also means the camera is also much lighter than the heavy Pentax 6x7 or Mamiya RZ/RB to carry around! Per memory I believe my Mamiya 7 with two lenses weighed around 1.5 kg...

Above aside I have myself come to the conclusion that there is no substitute for glass made in Germany, be it Zeiss, Schnieder, Rodenstock or Leica. Those simply have a character in rendering unlike Japanese, which can be very sharp, but... sharp with a lack of character. That said, in my experience Mamiya 7 glass was my top crop favorite glass from Japan, and with far more pleasing rendering than the Mamiya 645 D lenses I have owned.

Not sure if you shoot black and white or color or landscape or what? For 6x7 landscapes I can say with ease, Mamiya 7 system with Velvia 50 slide film is indeed very very difficult to beat.

Regards
Anders

peegeenyc

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 07:45:51 am »

Indeed as mentioned above, the Sinar M system, had probably the only MF digital Zeiss lenses made.  All other MF and LF Zeiss were for film originally.

IIRC, the 80mm Zeiss for Sinar M set world standards for resolution. possibly only equalled by the Leica S2 70mm.  It was insanely expensive. The marketing disaster was that it's a closed system, only usable with Sinar backs, locking major MF back users (Phase, Hassy) out of using the camera system. Very silly move, that lead to its failure to take off. I might have gone down that path otherwise.

Saw one M system with 2 lenses on eBay in the depths of the recession, went for an ok price, about equal to one of the lenses new.

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 09:29:28 am »

Indeed as mentioned above, the Sinar M system, had probably the only MF digital Zeiss lenses made.  All other MF and LF Zeiss were for film originally.

IIRC, the 80mm Zeiss for Sinar M set world standards for resolution. possibly only equalled by the Leica S2 70mm.  It was insanely expensive. The marketing disaster was that it's a closed system, only usable with Sinar backs, locking major MF back users (Phase, Hassy) out of using the camera system. Very silly move, that lead to its failure to take off. I might have gone down that path otherwise.

Saw one M system with 2 lenses on eBay in the depths of the recession, went for an ok price, about equal to one of the lenses new.

That's okay?

Rob C

Makten

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 04:57:06 am »

That's interesting; what have you used and where did you get it?

I bought an old F2 screen and filed it down to size! :D Can't recommend that, but it works even if it is a little bit too narrow on one end.
But there are new screens:

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=22_92
http://brightscreen.com/styles2.html
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html

I gather you have already concluded there is no Zeiss lens for 6x7, unless you are willing to go with a plate camera and large format Zeiss Planar lenses, or a 6x9 camera such as perhaps a Shen-Hao TFC69 with lens movements. Perhaps you should give that a thought? Of the Zeiss large format lenses the 135mm 3.5 Planar is available used but $$$. There are of course also other large format lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock but it requires researching for what lenses you like the rendering of. Some are actually very affordable used.

I think that's a few steps too far. ;) I've only developed 50 rolls or so yet, so right now I'm just playing with the thought. But I'm a gear freak, so sooner or later...

If you do like sharp lenses and prime interest is not portraits I can suggest the Mamiya 7. I had it before and sold it off a few months ago. It was difficult thing to sell because I simply found it such an excellent system. All you would need is probably two lenses. I had the 43mm and 80mm. No matter which lenses you would choose they are super sharp. It is a rangefinder camera with the rangefinder mechanism compensating for parallex, but for the 43mm and 50mm there are add on viewfinders for framing. Since it is a rangefinder it also means the camera is also much lighter than the heavy Pentax 6x7 or Mamiya RZ/RB to carry around! Per memory I believe my Mamiya 7 with two lenses weighed around 1.5 kg...

I actually had a Fujica GM670 before the Pentax, and it's sort of the same as the Mamiya 7 but larger. The 100/3.5 lens was very nice and sharp, but the bokeh was a bit too harsh.
The worst thing with it was the inaccurate rangefinder. I've read that about the Mamiyas too, so I guess they are best for shooting well stopped down. On the other hand, handheld is how I like to shoot.

Above aside I have myself come to the conclusion that there is no substitute for glass made in Germany, be it Zeiss, Schnieder, Rodenstock or Leica. Those simply have a character in rendering unlike Japanese, which can be very sharp, but... sharp with a lack of character. That said, in my experience Mamiya 7 glass was my top crop favorite glass from Japan, and with far more pleasing rendering than the Mamiya 645 D lenses I have owned.

The modern Zeiss lenses are actually made by Cosina in Japan. ;D And I really don't see any similarities between Zeiss and Leica.

Not sure if you shoot black and white or color or landscape or what? For 6x7 landscapes I can say with ease, Mamiya 7 system with Velvia 50 slide film is indeed very very difficult to beat.

I shoot mostly "urban scenes" or abstracts. I plan on shooting more color now since I've just tried developing C-41 at home with great results, but I've only done B/W before.

Here's som stuff: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Makten/Pentax%2067II/
The further back you go in the album, the crappier the results. :D I did a lot of experimenting with stand dev in the beginning, which didn't turn out very well.
Anyway, you'll get an idea of what stuff I like to shoot.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up