Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 - paper orientation muddle  (Read 7884 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: 3880 - paper orientation muddle
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 02:31:09 pm »

Good, glad it's solved.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

FrankG

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 10:13:54 pm »

Thanks all - phew!!

FrankG

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 11:08:30 pm »

I assume you are using an Epson printer. I am printing on a Mac and I've had some of this issue with custom paper size in the Epson driver for Mac on my 4900. The deal is that the definition of width and height is reversed between Photoshop and the driver. For example I printed a pano 16 inches high by 60 inches wide. According to the Epson driver the 60 inches is the Height, not the Width (like a long Chinese scroll that hangs vertically on the wall!) Dumb, but there you have it. So if you make what Photoshop calls the Height into the Width in the driver, and then when you go to print select in print preview the orientation which makes the image look correctly oriented (ie. the reverse of what the driver thinks), the image may well come out fine, as mine finally did. Not to test this on your set-up without wasting large amounts of expensive paper, create a custom size fitting something around an A3 sheet with a very distinct gap between width and height, and see whether it works.

My driver woes related to paper orientation in Custom Sizes returned and I've followed Epsons routine for uninstalling/re-installing the driver. Now it behaves just as Mark describes in his scenario above.I guess I'll get used to calling the image height the width :-)

Bill Koenig

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 05:05:39 pm »

I think I have it !
I decided to download the driver and re-install/overwrite it.
It is the exact same one - same version.
The original was installed off the CD that came with the printer.
My first custom size print worked - yay!

There is a bit of 'overspray' or maybe it's old ink on the rollers that is on the clean white border area - too bad ! But that is a different issue altogether.

Thanks all

The overspray you refer to could be a head strike as the paper might have a bit of curl that release's right at the end of the print.
What I do for my 3800 when I cut sheets off rolls is to leave a couple of extra inch's at the end, so once the printer is finished laying down ink, the  curl that release's will happen after the print head has finished, so there won't be a head strike, just don't tell the printer about the extra paper length.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:07:54 pm by Bill Koenig »
Bill Koenig,

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:48 pm »

The overspray you refer to could be a head strike as the paper might have a bit of curl that release's right at the end of the print.
What I do for my 3800 when I cut sheets off rolls is to leave a couple of extra inch's at the end, so once the printer is finished laying down ink, the  curl that release's will happen after the print head has finished, so there won't be a head strike, just don't tell the printer about the extra paper length.

If the overspray you refer to is light Cyan and around the image, it may be the "scum dot" that has been much discussed in this Forum and others - a colour management imperfection relating to the use of V4 printer profiles, rather than V2.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 07:35:51 pm »

Great Idea!  This had not occurred to me.  Many thanks.

Alan

FrankG

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:52 pm »

good idea Bill

elolaugesen

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 11:12:48 pm »

the cyan come not only from V4 profiles but also Version 2.4 profiles generated by Iprofiler Xrite....

I had this problem  but it only occurred with photoshop cs5 , Photoshop elements 9  did not occur with photoshop elements 6 , lightroom or aperture...  I developed a bypass by setting canvas size to size of paper..   however

Now that I use spyder3 prnt to generate profiles no more problems...  all version 2

cheers elo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up