Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing from the back of the 2400  (Read 3009 times)

kevs

Printing from the back of the 2400
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:04:37 pm »

Has anyone succeed doing this?
I get the paper to feed in a few inches. It grabs it. But then inevitably the top button goes blinking red and it wont go through. thanks!
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Robcat

Re: Printing from the back of the 2400
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:59:35 pm »

Now that you remind me, mine did that too and I gave up on that pathway ages ago. Thought it was just mine but apparently not.
Sorry, I never worked out a fix.
Rob P

kevs

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:44:37 pm »

thanks, I was using it once and then it gave me headaches. Now I can't even get one to work.

DougStocks

• DouglasStocks.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:47:18 am »

Hi Kevs,
 I do use it successfully after some headaches. To confirm, I use the slot on the top at rear -just behind the regular "sheet feeder" slot.  It is the "manual-roll" slot for thicker papers and roll paper. Installed the plastic paper holder accessory onto the back. Are you using the proper settings in "page set-up" ?
   page setup> format for> {stylus photo r2400} >paper size >superB, a4, etc.> manual-roll. After that the trick is feeding it straight in, with slight pressure until it grabs and advances. Tricky.
 It works for the harman baryta 320gsm. How thick is your paper?
Hope this helps.

Cheers, Doug

lausanne

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:56:27 am »

Oh what a coincidence!  I was trying to use my old 2400 yesterday (old but "like new" condition because I rarely use it) and am logging in here for the same question.  Argh!  I'm trying to load Fine Art Velvet at the very back slot as I was once told I must do - and it takes about 10 tries for each sheet.  Blinking red light.  Turning everything on and off.  Over and over.  Would love to hear experienced users' input on this.

David Good

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 09:03:05 am »

I  have been successfully printing through the back of the 2400 for years now, at first not so successfully. I found out the trick is to keep applying pressure to the top of the sheet as the printer does it's thing and tugs at it three times. The final tug will pull the paper right down to where it checks for alignment, if it's not straight it gets rejected. After some practice it becomes easier, really ;D.

Dave

lausanne

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:17:59 am »

Well, I guess there is some comfort in knowing it's not just me.  Harrumph.  I hope this situation improved with the newer machines.  I'd like to think that if I ever upgrade I won't be still fighting this battle.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:20:15 am »

Well, I guess there is some comfort in knowing it's not just me.  Harrumph.  I hope this situation improved with the newer machines.  I'd like to think that if I ever upgrade I won't be still fighting this battle.
The Epson 3880 is great as as far as using the rear paper feed.  I've had mine for a year and have only had one paper skew error (where I wasn't particularly careful feeding the paper).

David Good

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:34:14 am »

The Epson 3880 is great as as far as using the rear paper feed.  I've had mine for a year and have only had one paper skew error (where I wasn't particularly careful feeding the paper).

That has been my experience as well Alan, not sure if it's a newer design or just the larger format printers though. I wonder if the 2880 requires the secret handshake in order to print through the rear feed?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:50:27 am »

That has been my experience as well Alan, not sure if it's a newer design or just the larger format printers though. I wonder if the 2880 requires the secret handshake in order to print through the rear feed?
I had a 2880 for 18 months before getting tired of changing the ink cartridges so often.  It was flaky in terms of picking up the paper.  The other thing to try is cleaning the print rollers which can get dusty particularly if one is using matte fine art paper which has more dust than gloss papers.  I found that helped with the 2880 (and of course brush your paper before feeding to clean off any dust).

kevs

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 01:32:19 pm »

Hey everyone thanks!
Yeah, the first thing I did was clean those print rollers to take that variable off the table.
Best secret for a related torture issue is doing that with Rubber Roller rejuvinator.

I'm just getting into the fine art thing, thick papers, and was trying out Innova.
Their papers are very bent, so maybe that's it.

Then I tried Espon premium presentation, it's much flatter but maybe too thin.

So maybe I gotta get a flat paper like Epson that is thick.

It is grabbing from the back ok, but just jams.

Is this an issue with this line 2400. Maybe I will upgrade one day, curious if they solved this issue.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 03:12:15 pm »

My R2400 has always fed faultlessly from the rear feeder with all heavyweight papers, up to A3. However, I have had problems with A3+ when the paper skewed sideways slightly and caused a paper feed error. Make sure that the rear feed adaptor is securely locked into its locating slots - it should be locked solid once installed correctly. Also ensure that the LH guide is snugly up against the paper edge, so that the paper cannot tilt and skew. Maintain a firm pressure on the top edge of the paper until the printer feed picks it up.

And all should be well . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

kevs

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »

thanks John, can you send a screenshot of the rear feeder adapter and the LH guide?
Don't even know what those are. thanks! I'm just feeding it into a thin crevice - that all I'm doing.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 04:49:19 pm »

thanks John, can you send a screenshot of the rear feeder adapter and the LH guide?
Don't even know what those are. thanks! I'm just feeding it into a thin crevice - that all I'm doing.
Read the manual; it's explained there with diagrams!!!!!!  http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/r2400_/r2400_ug.pdf

lausanne

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 06:58:44 pm »

Reporting back:  after much swearing, I finally got the knack for loading this thing.  Fine Art Velvet from the very back. 

I'll try to describe what I'm doing:  slide the paper in as far as it wants to go, then keep the pressure on it until it has self-fed 2 or 3 times.  Don't let up on the gentle but steady pressure until the machine has really taken hold of it - at least two grabs/pulls.

Doing this I only had one paper jam today.  (woohoo.)  Used both 8.5x11 and 13x19.  Had a bunch of other problems but at least I feel better about this one!

kevs

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 01:50:09 pm »

thanks Lusanne, I got the paper to hold, but then it jams.
Alan, I have the manual still, but I cannot see the diagrams too well, so poorly written.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 02:53:02 pm »

Well, I don't know what is going on here.

I never have to faff around with my 2400, it just works. I feed all heavyweight paper, these days mostly Harman Baryta, via the rear feeder, but I have fed loads of other stuff too, including the very heavy Hahnemule rag papers. I don't have to push down hard on the paper or maintain pressure on it for ages or anything like that. I just apply a gentle pressure until the printer tugs on it, then I go and do something else until my print is ready. I know I have printed hundreds of A4s and A3s now, and I think I might have had two or three misfeeds in that time.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an
Pages: [1]   Go Up