Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Clogged Light Black Ink on Epson 7900 (same line on each nozzle check pattern)

<< < (5/13) > >>

Mark D Segal:
Gary and Thelo,

If it were me at the stage David is at, not knowing the real cause of the problem and with Epson now re-involved in the issue, I would do NOTHING. Let Epson's designated service rep come there, do their thing, then see if they resolved it, and from there deal with the warranty coverage aspect. If he really knew exactly what the problem is and would run truly minimal risk messing around in the printer himself, I may advise otherwise, but not in present circumstances.

Thelo:

--- Quote from: Mark D Segal on April 22, 2011, 01:49:35 pm ---Gary and Thelo,

If it were me at the stage David is at, not knowing the real cause of the problem and with Epson now re-involved in the issue, I would do NOTHING. Let Epson's designated service rep come there, do their thing, then see if they resolved it, and from there deal with the warranty coverage aspect. If he really knew exactly what the problem is and would run truly minimal risk messing around in the printer himself, I may advise otherwise, but not in present circumstances.

--- End quote ---

That might be a good idea.

Supersonic cleaning was recommended to me by the Epson to solve the continuing clogging problem with Epson 9900. I was also told by the reseller that it would not harm the machine but also that I should not use the device in four hours because of the head heating.

Ran the ss-cleaning about a week ago. Can't tell yet if it has helped. Two minor clogs in cyan since...

Mark D Segal:
To be clear, I don't think a major cleaning would do any harm, unlike tinkering in the machine which could. The real problem with a major cleaning is the huge amount of ink it wastes, which is not advised unless one knows the problem really is a clog which that approach would correct.

Farmer:
There's no need to wait 4 hours after an SSCL.  However, you shouldn't run multiple SSCLs consecutively and it's best to do them only when all else fails.

If the head truly got so hot as to need 4 hours to cool down, it'd melt :-)

artbot:
i skipped the thread to the bottom so sorry if this is redundant.

the way to prove it you have a damper issue is to do a damper swap.  just move a functioning color's damper/ink line to the bad color and vice versa.  don't disconnect anything.  run a cleaning cycle to get the heads flowing.  if the color moves to the new color position, than bad damper if not bad head performance.

that said.  a missing line won't be caused by a bad damper.  a bad damper causes ink starvation over the length of a print.  a constantly missing line is a clogged nozzle only.  clogs that jump around are capping station issues.

there is no way a tech should be called out for a missing line.  that would be a crime.   also, the 7900 has a universal capping station making it impossible for just one color to be affected unlike previous machines where the caps could isolate the issue.  just do a head soak (pour cleaning solution into the cap and let the head soak for a few minutes , reloading the cap if it goes down.  also get to the pump and inspect to see if the lines look clean.  common clog points will be directly beneath the cap and at the end of the drain tube.  you can pour cleaning solution down your pumps and even have a friend feed solution while you agressively draw with a syringe at the drain end to loosen a clump of ink.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version