Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matting/Framing Work Area - need island work table  (Read 10816 times)

brianz

• Nature & Wildlife Galleries
Matting/Framing Work Area - need island work table
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:11:20 pm »

What do you guys for a work surface?  I just can't find any good options.  I want a large surface, maybe 4x6 feet, with undertable storage drawers.  My mat cutter will be on a separate table, so this table is more for assembly.  Everything I see is more along the lines of drafting tables.  And whenever I find a good workshop island table, it's always some woodworker showing off his own creation.  Do I need to commission a woodworker?  Am I not searching the right terms?

What do you guys use?

Thanks,
Brian

mikev1

Re: Matting/Framing Work Area - need island work table
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:46:12 pm »

I use Ikea kitchen countertops and cabinets.  I have two Lagan countertops back to back they are a combined 51" x 96" (or roughly 4 x 8).  On top I have placed a 4 x 8 cutting matt.  The nice thing about Ikea is there are lots of options.  Underneath I store shipping tubes, boxes of paper and countless other little items.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »

My absolute favorite framing tables are the 36 x 80 doors that I buy down at Lowe's for $28.  The doors are supported by cheesy fold up tables.  Between the tables and doors is stiff carpet that is contact cemented onto the plastic table.  The carpet is so I can slide the door around to different angles when working on those big frames, just the right amount of friction.

I have some extenders made from 1x4's and steel L brackets the will raise the surface of the tables to 63 inches when I want to use the underpinner.  Also creates a second worksurface under the door for tools and such, very handy.

Sounds pretty crude, right?  But somehow I manage to knock out a lot 3.5 x 8 foot framed pieces on those little surfaces.  It's so organic.  Let's see...when cutting mounted prints I cut directly into the surface of the tables.  When I wear out a section of table, I flip it 180 degrees horizontal.  Then I flip it over.  Forget using scrap matboard and Gator, meh!  Slows you down.  So for $28 I can do the cutting for about 80 large frames, then I toss the door and get a new one.  It's actually cheaper than using fancy cutting mats.

When working with frames taller or wider than the tables, I use scrap 2 x 5 foot x 1/2" Gatorfoam for extensions.

When "closing" frames I lay large bath towels over the table to protect the front surface of the frames.

I also have a nice 4 x 8 foot table surfaced with Melamine.  Great for manually joining polystyrene frames, and cutting mattes, but a little too big to get from one side to the other conveniently.  It is often used to pile up intermediate production pieces.  I prefer the doors for most things.  Melamine is great low friction surface for when you have to maneuver big things, or where you need a squeeky clean surface for things like for matting, for which I care little.

Won't get into industrial philosophy here, but I could.  I know from long experience that if ever I took the time to do this stuff right, I would fail immediately.  Seen it happen a bunch of times to others.  Lean, mean, and to the point keeps you alive.  Worrying too much about the facilities = industrial distraction and corporate death.  The stories I could tell.  Stay focused, just get it done.  Amen.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:12:01 am by bill t. »

mikev1

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:02 am »

I use Ikea kitchen countertops and cabinets.  I have two Lagan countertops back to back they are a combined 51" x 96" (or roughly 4 x 8).  On top I have placed a 4 x 8 cutting matt.  The nice thing about Ikea is there are lots of options.  Underneath I store shipping tubes, boxes of paper and countless other little items.

Hmm looks like I inadvertantly learned some internet short hand.  I had written 4 x 8 ) without the space in between the 8 and ) and it showed up as some smiley face thing.

Bill you should write a book, I always enjoy your posts and your general observations on life.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:00:00 am »

I get most of my work tables from some recycler. Last one was a Craig’s list origin, slightly battered oak dining room table. I had to do a little fix up where the legs mount the table. The table is about 3.5 feet wide and when fully extended is about 12 feet long. I paid $200, the seller delivered it, and it came with 8 really nice matching oak chairs. I use cardboard, carpet, or craft paper as an underlayment for the table. That way I can still use it as a dining table on occasion.

When I'm not using the matt cutter, it leans against the wall next to the rotatrim paper cutter, and a bunch of other stuff.

Anyway, Craig’s list, The Good Will, a used office furniture store, or any local thrift shop are your friends when it comes to work tables. A little time spent shopping can help you save a fortune on the endless task of tool acquisition.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »

If you want a somewhat more elegant solution, take a look at these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/14631607  Although from Ikea they are very solid/heavy and are quite a bit different (being mostlly wood) from the usual flimsy particle board construction of most of their products. The tops are roughly 69" X 25"; they have drawers and several full length shelves below. Although pricey by Ikea standards, they are closer to furniture and not that costly if viewed  that way. Two of these back to back, would give a total surface area of 69" X 50"; they could be attached to each other and you could use heavy duty industrial casters (locking) to make them movable, if so desired. Guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how rough you want your environment to be.

I bought two of these several years ago when I converted a bedroom in my house into a permanent workspace. I use one for my printers and the other (covered with a piece of glass; learned from one of MR's videos) for prints, matting, etc. Although not too fond of Ikea's goods in general, these have proven to be excellent for my needs.

Randy Carone

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:50:52 pm »

We use these in our Print Lab and they work very well. The composite top is reversable so if it gets cut up over time, just flip it over. Another option is to use this table and put a cutmat on the table for trouble-free cutting. The legs adjust so the tabletop can be put to the height that works best for the user.
http://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables

BTW, no affiliation with Uline :)
Randy Carone

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 01:52:27 pm »

I use the Varde kitchen countertops from Ikea. I put 2 of them back to back to make up a 4x6' island. Tons of storage space underneath, and I have them both on wheels so I can roll them out of the way if needed.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/14631607
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

jdemott

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:12:35 pm »

I made a work table from an old ping-pong table.  Half of the original table is the work surface and the other half is a storage shelf about 18 inches below the upper surface.  The legs are DIY from some lumber I had around.
John DeMott

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:28 pm »

Another Ikea solution for me.

I put a 69" varde base cabinet and a 57 "Varde Counter storage unit back to back.  After careful aligning, I had a one piece custom heavy duty glass top cut.  I've always like glass for a work surface for prints because it's easy to keep clean.  I have a carpet I roll out over the top if I'm working on frames or stretching canvas.

The combination of the two gives me lots of drawer storage options, as well as a nice big work area.  The drawers are all suspended and very smooth and sturdy, and the tables themselves are very sturdy. The shorter cabinet leaves room for a tall trash container from Home Depot, easy to brush stuff off the top directly into the trash.

I didn't use the rollers for mine , I wanted it to be a like a single solid work table.

brianz

• Nature & Wildlife Galleries
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:04:12 pm »

Thanks everybody, this is great info!  Very helpful.  I'm sure I'll go with something on this list, just need to weigh the options.  I am totally incapable of improvising, so I'm thinking the Varde gives me some bang for the buck...

Thanks again.

Brian

rmyers

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 06:52:43 pm »

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 02:26:36 am »

I'm also an Ikea fan, although I don't have it set up for framing. Check out www.uline.com as well for their industrial packing tables: http://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables. Inexpensive. Only downside is you don't get all the drawer storage that you do with the Ikea solutions.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up