Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Camera?  (Read 4053 times)

John S C

Which Camera?
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:53:48 am »

I have a client who wants to produce a number of short  video's to be included on his web site. Although initially and primarily the video's would be used for web use there is some talk of producing some for promo work  to be shown on wide screen TV's, but this is only a possibility, but 1080p capability would be essential.

Looking at a number of cameras it looks as though either the Canon 5DMk2 or the Canon 60D may be suitable and within the price bracket for the project. Useful as I already have a range of Canon lenses

Comparing the 2 cameras there seems to be only little differences between them for the video side.

The 5DMK2 does have a bigger sensor, but I don't think that will make much difference  in these videos. It does however have the ability to shoot in either Tv or Av mode for video as well as Auto and Manual exposure. The 60D only has Auto and manual. Both have  level controls for the audio. The 60D does have a flip out LCD screen which may be advantageous

The 60D is around half the price of the 5D mk2.

So really apart from the ability to use Tv and Av modes ( which could be a small advantage, I planned to use manual exposure anyway ) Have I missed any significant advantage the 5D has over the 60D ? I don't really need another full frame  large sensor camera, but if the 5D Mk2 is much better than it wouldn't be a problem to stretch to this.

EPd

Re: Which Camera?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:07:00 pm »

Comparing the 2 cameras there seems to be only little differences between them for the video side.

The 5DMK2 does have a bigger sensor, but I don't think that will make much difference  in these videos.

This is a big misconception: the difference in sensor size will make a HUGE difference to the look you'll get. 5DII is a hell of a camera, although "hell" could be taken quite literal here as it is very difficult to keep things in focus with it. I am an experienced operator, but shooting a scene with actors that move only a few centimeters out of their ballpark is already giving you a headache at the end of the day. But when all goes well (and you know how to keep the entire processing of the files under control) the results can be stunning.

Personally I would not consider the 60D, but instead the Panasonic GH2. Test that one against the 5DII and see which one suits your needs best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up