Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Profile of DNG  (Read 1748 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Color Profile of DNG
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:03:01 pm »

Hi

When I convert an image from Raw to DNG, the Mac Finder shows Adobe 1998 as the color space of the DNG. (Or maybe it is the space that is chosen in the camera for the EXIF data, which is Adobe in my case.) Is this an "assigned" or a "converted to" profile? In other words, have I lost image data compared to raw output to TIF in camera space or ProPhoto? (which is my preferred workflow).

Kind regards - Hening. 

MonsterBaby

Re: Color Profile of DNG
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:31:37 pm »

i dont think that you lost anything.

the raw format does not "include" a colorspace as the software later translates it to which ever space you choose.

so i assume this is just the "preferred" transformation gamut that your software "assigns" IF you then convert the DNG raw to lets say a tiff

f.e. if you open a RAW (NEF) in the PS raw converter it showes a colorspace as well at the bottom. because it has to "show" the picture in some kind of color space now cuz as soon as you open the raw and look at it the color needs to be interpreted!

give it a shot and open a very colorfull raw converted in ProPhoto in PS and simulate adobeRGB with out of gamut warning. then do you DNG workflow.. and check again

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 04:52:48 pm »

Thank you "MonsterBaby". What you write makes sense and soothes me. I have gone through the workflow, and from all I can gather, the ProPhoto profile is preserved through ACR and PS. Yet there are slight differences in the gamut warning. The 2 screen shots show 1-the linear TIF as output from Raw developer in ProPhoto; 2-The DNG opened in PS via ACR; both set to simulate Adobe 1998 color space and the gamut warning activated (red). In the latter, the gamut warning seems slightly larger and seems to contain a central part of clipped highlights.

MonsterBaby

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:09:11 am »

just a guess.. but i would rather think that the slightly different conversion methods of the two raw machines causes this difference than the colorspaces..

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »

That, too, makes sense to me. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up