Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any tours of Gary, Indiana?  (Read 2068 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Any tours of Gary, Indiana?
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:18:30 am »

Back in the 80's a few friends of mine were driving to Chicago and took the wrong fork on the highway and ended up in Gary. Indiana. It was fascinating, reminded me of the Road Warrior movies of post apocalyptic industrial hellhole with huge hulking rusting factories. We were in a rush to get to Chicago and being boys from safe and clean Toronto we didn't want to linger too long there and we weren't comfortable in that alien environment.
Well fast-forward almost 30 years and I am returning to Chicago and now as a photo-enthusiast I can't help but think about returning to Gary to take a few photos of this wondrous urban landscape. I am flying in to Chicago and am wondering if Gary is even MORE photogenic as a rustbelt wasteland or has it been revitalized?
I am not in to the idea of exploring the place by myself and my expensive gear in a rented car but would be willing to do so as part of a walking/photographic urban safari. They have guided tours of favelas in Rio de Janeiro that were well worth the effort. I was able to fire a gang member's pistol in to a mountain rock face - fun stuff!
I was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar for Gary out of Chicago. Or is Gary too scary or perhaps too revitalized and beautiful to warrant a trip?
Thanks for your replies.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Any tours of Gary, Indiana?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:25:20 pm »

Interesting idea. I do not know answer to that, but there might be a way to find those who do. Urban decay photography is enjoying a lot of popularity as of recently, mostly because of HDR technique. By googling it, you will find photographers who already did what you intend to do, in Detroit, Chicago, Gary, etc. and by contacting them directly I am sure they would be happy to offer advice (or even join you). I know one of them personally, Brad Pogatetz, and here is an article on urban decay photography with more names.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Re: Any tours of Gary, Indiana?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:51 pm »

Great idea .... Thanks for taking the time to respond Slobodan   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up