Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shooting tethered in capture one 6 pro to two drives  (Read 7814 times)

efitzsim

shooting tethered in capture one 6 pro to two drives
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »

Hi I know this has been asked before but I havent seen a real anser so im wondering if any one could help, I need to save image shoot in to capture one 6  to two drives the internal drive of the laptop and an external drive most likely usb due to the fact phase back is hooked up to the firewire 800 port. so is there software or any thing that can help me do this.

thanks

Erin Fitzsimmons

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: shooting tethered in capture one 6 pro to two drives
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:27:46 am »

More than likely you don't need what you stated. What you stated was a specific solution to a problem rather than the problem itself.

Presumably the problem you are trying to solve is the ability to make backups of images which would be costly (time/energy/money) or impossible to take again if they were to be lost and for which waiting until the end of the shoot is too risky.

However True real time backups are rarely needed. In almost all cases a near-real-time backup via synchronization would be preferred for a variety of technical reasons. The cost of losing the last 90 seconds worth of shooting is rarely catastrophic so the near-real-time method carries very little risk compared to a true-real-time backup.

All in our guide: Backups Before and During the Shoot to Prevent Downtime or Lose of Photos

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

efitzsim

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:01 am »

I personally agree but the photographer I work for wants me to figer out how to do it cuz the phase back we use wont write to card and to drive wile tethered so it some thing i have kinda been tasked with.

Erin F

peter.s.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:13:37 pm »

Only way to get real time backup is to use RAID 1, which are two drives that have exactly the same data all the time.

This can't be successfully implemented using the laptop drive and an external drive so you need to get an external RAID1 enclosure with two drives. The Silverstone DS221 is one example with 2.5" drives, I'm sure there are others.

USB 2 may be too slow but if you have an eSATA connector on your laptop you will get the same speed as when shooting to the internal drive only. You can also get an expansion card with an eSATA connector if you laptop doesn't have one.

Since you have an external enclosure you can also fill it with better, more reliable drives than what are used in laptops. These drives are usually called enterprise drives and have a 5 year warranty. Seagate Constellation drives are one example but there are others as well. Just make sure you get drives that fit the RAID1 enclosure.

PS. When using eSATA reading from the RAID1 drives could be up to two times as fast as using a single drive. Write speed should be about the same though.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:21:37 pm by peter.s. »

dizzyg44

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:08:53 pm »

It can be done even without 3rd party software.

Look into creating a watch folder with Automator (assuming you are using a mac).  Still it wouldn't be recommended to do this do to increased disk i/o, cpu, memory loads. 

As mentioned by Doug and in C1's guide, you are better off avoiding the practice you are requesting.

Following C1's train of thought but avoiding 3rd party software, I would periodically backup using a simple shell script utilizing rsync and then use cron to run it.  But for most people this may seem a little bit complicated as it requires a little bit of shell scripting, commandline, and general linux knowledge (remember, os x is BSD and these tools work the same and built in)

figure1a

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:20:53 pm »

RAID 1 is probably the best solution. It will make two copies of everything. You could even do FireWire as most decent Firewire drives will have two ports—one to connect to the computer and one for the camera.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:51 pm »

RAID 1 is probably the best solution. It will make two copies of everything. You could even do FireWire as most decent Firewire drives will have two ports—one to connect to the computer and one for the camera.

In my experience 80% of the calls I've received from photographers who lost something from a shoot were from photographers who had accidentally deleted, formatted, or overwritten their files/folder or had lost them due to software corruption or other software issue (e.g. didn't know they were in a mode that didn't save the images). Only 20% have been due to hardware failure. These are rough numbers obviously.

RAID 1 would duplicate the deletion/formatting/overwritting/corruption of a file on the second disk in real time.
So the vast majority of the people who called me would have been equally hosed had they been using RAID 1 and would have been saved if they were using a sync-without-delete method as I've described above.

The numbers are so one-sided that I actually actively recommend *against* RAID 1 as it leads to a false sense of security that your shoot is safe.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up