Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad as a Portfolio Sort Order Problem  (Read 2269 times)

pflower

iPad as a Portfolio Sort Order Problem
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »

I have just bought an iPad and have to say that I am impressed by its screen and the quality of its display for photographs.  However there is clearly a major problem with the in-built photo app in that it does not display photos in the order arranged in a folder on the mac to which it syncs.  Instead it appears to display photos according to some arcane piece of metadata relating to capture time. What I want is import photos and then display them in the order that I want not in the order that the ipad imposes.  There have been lots of complaints about this on discussion forums I have found via google - but has anyone here got a solution to the problem.  I don't really need anything more sophisticated than the inbuilt photo app but I do want to dictate the order in which my pictures are shown. 

Has anyone found an app that can do this well or have a work flow that avoids the problem?

Thanks

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: iPad as a Portfolio Sort Order Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:51:09 pm »

I use the "Portfolio" app. It has the same issue with filenames and display, but, if you import the photos using Dropbox, it will keep the original filenames and allow easier sorting, so it fixes that particular problem. Works pretty well, and I would recommend it.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Roy

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:44:32 pm »

If you are exporting from Lightroom or Adobe Bridge, Russell Brown has some tutorials on exporting to an iPad. For example this one on exporting from Lightroom.
Roy

pflower

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:41:28 am »

Thanks for the Russell Brown tip.  This solves the problem and I would never have thought of this myself however hard I tried.  I had never even looked at the Publish settings before.  Curiously I had tried to export with renaming to a numbered sequence and then checking the minimize metadata in the hope that this would strip out the capture date (which Russell Brown confirms).  But this didn't work.  However the Publish route does work.  Query:  What does Publish to a Hard Drive do that Export doesn't?  There must be something.

I suppose there is one  slight reservation in that you have to rename the photos so the photos on the iPad don't have the same names but I can live with that.

I will take a look at Portfolio - I normally get my portfolios in the order I want in a Collection in Lightroom and so the exporting in order is important to me.  But I have also had a look at Dropbox which is pretty impressive and so the syncing between the 2 might be worthwhile.

Thanks to both of you - problem solved (for the moment - no doubt there will be something else I will want to do which I can't work out)

Philip
Pages: [1]   Go Up