Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CF cards used with digital back and SLR  (Read 1016 times)

MNG

• www.ngfoto.com
CF cards used with digital back and SLR
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:00:57 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone experienced problems using the same CF cards in different digital backs and a SLR?

I always format a card in the camera I'm about to shoot with, or is it best to use a separate set of CF cards for each type of camera?

Just received my Leaf-12 back so wondering if i need to buy a new CF cards?

Michael

David Schneider

• Portrait Studio Owner
Re: CF cards used with digital back and SLR
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:15:14 pm »

I switch between my dslr and mfd all the time, just formating in camera I'm using before starting a session.  I can see dedicating some cards to one camera, but in practice if I just need a few images with my Hasselblad hd2-39, I might grab the 2 gb cf card and not the 32gb card. 

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:42 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone experienced problems using the same CF cards in different digital backs and a SLR?

I always format a card in the camera I'm about to shoot with, or is it best to use a separate set of CF cards for each type of camera?

Just received my Leaf-12 back so wondering if i need to buy a new CF cards?

Michael

Generally, it's been recommended to dedicate CF Cards to Leaf backs. Of all the digital backs I've worked with, the Leaf backs are the quirkiest when it comes to mixing the cards with DSLR's or other digital backs. Format the CF cards first in the disk utility of your Mac or PC, then format from then on in-camera, but dedicate them. If you use them on a different camera, it's quite possible you'll have to re-format in the computer and start over.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

dizzyg44

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:36:01 am »

pretty much use separate dedicated cards to each system as my nikon kit needs fast cards, my old Aptus 22 can't take advantage of the speeds so the much older cards are plenty fast and dirt cheap...

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:26:31 am »

I mix all the time. I usually format in camera before I use a card. On occassion I forgot this ending up with Nikon and Hasselblad files on the same card. I guess I am lucky, never any issue. Ignorance is bliss ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up