Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a 55K camera justifiable for a hobbyist?  (Read 6282 times)

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
Buying a 55K camera justifiable for a hobbyist?
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:10:23 am »

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25374

Saw this thread at another forum and found it and the responses interesting.

What do you think?

Rob C

Re: Buying a 55K camera justifiable for a hobbyist?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:07 am »

What do you think?

A wind-up.

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:24:38 am »

I copy-paste the answer I gave in the forum you mention

Strictly commercially, for commercial, this back is overpriced. For almost the same amount you can get an Arri Alexa!!! (and, correct me if I'm wrong, it's another peice of electronic...)

and Red gear, by margin!

I could get much more money in return (I mean much more) with the Arri investment than with any of these backs, past present and future.

But this is not rational. If you are hobbyist or art photographer and print big for galleries, this is IMO a logical investment.

Go for it.

And enhance now my post for Lu-La:

Without hobbyists, pixels maniacs, executives, dentists and a few photographers, we would not have MF alternative today.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:28:23 am by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:41 am »

Fred, the image is blocked.

That's about as big a tease as the OP.

;-)

Rob C

PS Now I see it. What an ugly mother! Reminds me of my black and white tv.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:32:18 am by Rob C »

Peter Mellis

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:11:53 am »

Sounds like someone wanting to boast about how much money they have (or pretend to have).

Some years back I was in the showroom of a company that sold woodworking tools. There were a couple of stationary tools (Swiss or German) on the floor that were made like pieces of jewelery and were very expensive. As I was staring at one of these (table saw), a salesman came over and asked how I liked it. My response was something like "these are beautiful! Do you actually sell any of them?". He sorta smiled and went on to tell me that every once in a while they sold one, usually to a doctor that had just decided to take up woodworking. Several were returned, typically after the doctor got it home, turned it on and it scared the daylights out of him. Not picking on doctors here; you can substitute anything any calling or descriptive that you like. This reminds me of that.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:02:39 pm »

The question is: what gives you the best bang-for-buck in investing money in photography, and what gives you most satisfaction.

Since you can afford it, I'd look at it from the opportunity cost: with 55k you could buy a helluva trip around the world to take photos with your existing gear in ridiculously exotic and beautiful locations, including forgoing salary (assuming you work and take unpaid vacation), and add a workshop or five to improve your skill set. So while you can afford it, there might be other ways to spend the money with higher ROI - financially, photographically and emotionally. Only you will know.

And for the record, dropping 55k on a camera as a hobbyist is not a crazy idea at all. Car enthusiasts and audiophiles do the same - if it's what you love then go for it. You don't have to justify it to anyone but you.

Also, in this economy holding onto cash is not considered a bad idea...

Strictly commercially, for commercial, this back is overpriced. For almost the same amount you can get an Arri Alexa!!! (and, correct me if I'm wrong, it's another peice of electronic...)
and Red gear, by margin!

I could get much more money in return (I mean much more) with the Arri investment than with any of these backs, past present and future.

How is that relevant? A taxi driver will get much more ROI with this

than with this

DeeJay

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 01:21:07 pm »

Who cares what people do with their own hard earned money?

If you're just an amateur and all you want is an IQ180 then go for it!

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »

I don't know, my wife just okayed 50K to re-do our porches (they are quite livable right now). There goes my S2...

TMARK

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »

The triumph of consumerist kidult culture.  Fuck 'em.  

mikeber

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 03:32:17 pm »

Why is a $50K hobbyist camera worse then the $180K yacht a relative of mine purchased? What about his ROI? Why nobody points fingers at those who spend $90K on exclusive furniture (they already have expensive stuff and there was no need for new furniture, except the wife's wish). All these are not rational purchases, but society accepts some while others are a no-no.  Its all perception.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:36:05 pm by mikeber »

fredjeang

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 04:16:33 pm »

Nothing wrong with that. But let's call a cat, a cat. Those are not any more profit-making in the current context.
There is nothing wrong for people who can afford it to buy those equipments. There are people who spend fortune in high-end lenses, there are passionate and kidults (I learned this here from TMARK) ready to invest all their money in their passion. I knew a guy in France, an helicopter technician that worked in Turbomeca company, who was buying old Ferraris, restaured them completly even making the missing peices doing extra hours in Turbomeca. All his time and money was spending on that. Other build their planes etc...  

The price is the price of the marquet. There is a demand for those backs.

Personaly, at this price I invest in an Arri and with the money earned with it, buy one of those fancy back, a trip on a desert island with an expensive model and shoot 80mp bathing suits pics that will show-up somewhere on the web at 72ppp in one of those silly youtube ads that have invaded our privacy, ad-free life without tv couldn't last for much longuer. See what I mean?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:11:13 pm by fredjeang »

john milich

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 06:53:36 pm »

feppe:
i have one of those in the second pic (mine is bigger) and it make a very substantial ROI, enough to make my cambo/schneider.H39 investment seem like peanuts.  I don't drive a cab though
;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:55:50 pm by john milich »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »

We all give to charity, Danemark and Germany are known to be countries in dear need of our hard earned cash.  ???

Cheers,
Bernard

SeanBK

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »

Posted by: BernardLanguillier  
"We all give to charity, Danemark and Germany are known to be countries in dear need of our hard earned cash.  

Cheers,
Bernard"
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Amen. Very concisely put. ;)
  Regards
   Sean

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:22:26 pm by SeanBK »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:29:54 am »

Hi,

My view is that if you can afford it and you want it, it is justifiable at whatever cost. For a pro it's more about return on investment.

Best regards
Erik

What do you think?
Erik Kaffehr

DeeJay

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 01:44:09 am »

I don't know, my wife just okayed 50K to re-do our porches (they are quite livable right now). There goes my S2...

Well don't blame us that you don't have your priorities in order!

:)

I'm still not convinced a wife is best or most wise upgrade a photographer can make. My advice to young photographers - marry a photographer. And one who's dad is a wealthy brewery owner. Ah the dreams...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:50:07 am by DeeJay »

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 04:04:39 am »

Well don't blame us that you don't have your priorities in order!

:)

I'm still not convinced a wife is best or most wise upgrade a photographer can make. My advice to young photographers - marry a photographer. And one who's dad is a wealthy brewery owner. Ah the dreams...

FWIW three bad ideas listed there.

1. Wife - a good one is the best investment in life that anyone is lucky enough to make.

2. Marry photographer - in maths two negs make a positive; in life they spell emotional if not financial disaster.

3. Brewery Dad - not such a good idea anymore; sales are sinking into their own froth.

Rob C

BJL

Buying a 55K fishing deep sea boat justifiable for a hobbyist?
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 10:21:24 am »

Around where I live, it is not unusual to see weekend fishermen with deep sea fishing boat rigs probably worth 55K or more. And I see a lot of them parked on rural properties next to "manufactured homes" costing not much more than the boat. It is all a matter of priorities. And no, they are probably not doctors or dentists or lawyers.

fredjeang

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »

Maybe not taking what we say at face value. Dentists, doctors or layers have been vastly used as a joke but of course it is an image and not necessarly pejorative. At least I don't use it that way. What it means is that we know MF manufacturers have big part of their buyers in the hobbyist, high-end amateur sphere, in oposition to the profesional.  Without them they would probably not exist today.
It is so true that Hassy can release a Ferrari model, or whatever golden collector and of course the target is not the working pro.
Those "dentists" is an image that represent in a way the wealphy hobbyist, ok, with a sort of tease behind when we'd like them, or sometimes bark on them to improve on features really usefull for the pro.
That is at least the way I understand it as a non english lenguage native.

If my neighbour wants to buy a 55K back, I have not one objection neither it appears to me scandalous. Everybody is luckily free to spend their money where they want to. I would probably think in my mind that it is a whim. I also have mine, they are just different.

Then, if we take that, the whim, in a bigger context we hardly can avoid to make a correlation between the kidult and the global system itself that is showing signs of degeneration (to be polite), but that is another debate completly out of this forum.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:35:37 pm by fredjeang »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 07:17:19 am »

3. Brewery Dad - not such a good idea anymore; sales are sinking into their own froth.

A good example of where the story of those trying to compete on volume and low prices are faltering in a race to the bottom is obscuring the story of those competing on quality, unique competencies, and more quality are living it up.

Micro brews (in the US at least) seem to be doing very well in the last five years.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:37:13 am by dougpetersonci »
Pages: [1]   Go Up