Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera To Print video–what do you want?  (Read 20772 times)

walter.sk

Re: New Camera To Print video–what do you want?
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2011, 12:22:31 pm »

I would like to see a list of minimal requirements of monitor functionality for a color managed system, and a list of features grouped by level. 

For example,  what should one demand of the highest level of  monitor in the way of features (that would justify, say $2000 plus in cost)? 

What would be the next level monitor, say for for serious photographers who don't necessarily need some of the highest level features ($1000 up to say, $2000)?

What features are an absolute necessity for basic color management, and what monitors substantially below the $1000 level would qualify at the time of writing the tutorial?

While very pleased with our NEC 3090 and NEC PA241, we get questions all the time from people wanting to have their prints match their display but may not be able to budget more than a few hundred dollars for a monitor

mburke

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2011, 01:45:40 pm »

I would like to see something on b&w printing. Discuss paper types, do you use icc profiles, etc. I have a Canon 6300, do I use monochrome printing, No Color w/icc color profiles, No color w/icc b&w profile. I use a Color Munki, how does that fit into making both color and b&w profiles?

It seems easy to say "something on b&w printing" but it leads down many paths. It would be nice to have some kind of workflow steps and then I could go from there.

Thanks,

Mike

deanwork

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2011, 06:22:29 pm »

Yes,

I've yet to see an unbiased sophisticated black and white comparison between the following?

1. Studio Print linearization on the Epson 9900 (which I've seen from someone who knows what they are doing) and it can be extremely impressive for both awesome neutrality and precise dither on fiber gloss media).

2. Canon IPF 8300 with the Bowhaus True Black and White software designed specifically for this purpose. Does it set a new standard?

3. And the HPZ series using their Quad set up or RGB set up with toned monochrome that results in easy on the fly hue control and an unmatched dmax on fine matte rag papers.

Then of course there is the issue of permanence data which is good on all of them (apparently) but depending on how much color ink is used (magenta- the weak link).

I don't see any reviewers doing these kinds of comparisons. It is always this kind of mushy, I didn't have the printer long enough to really do the subtle testing....
But, of course it all takes time and nobody has that.

john

HCHeyerdahl

• http://
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 03:31:47 am »

The option to download files so that we can better see the before/after effects of the various subtle steps in say sharpening, upres, softproof..

Chris

NigelC

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 06:30:08 am »

I'm particularly interested in getting optimum balance and methods of sharpening between raw processing stage and final print output.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 08:46:28 am »

From the responses I have seen to date (A very long list.) You could do the new version from scratch with almost none of the content from the first version.
This is only my opinion and you may disagree. Is it really necessary to start from scratch and redo everything.
I would take that first video and add a dozen or more updates to it. Maybe re-edit it as version l. (Its now not out of date and still very marketable.)Then start version II from scratch as a more advanced in depth new product with many of the posted suggestions. You now have 2 versions for sale,one revised and one brand spankin new.
Market them seperately and as a 2 video printmaking set.
My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:52:00 am by Dan Berg »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »

Is it really necessary to start from scratch and redo everything.

The cameras used to shoot the first video are now vastly outclassed by what Chris is shooting with now. The first video was not finished as HD video. The codecs are better now as well. So yes, we decided to redo the whole thing (and will have lot's of all new content while still touching on what we did before).

We have over 1/2 shot already but will do additional shooting end of May to pick up stuff we didn't get last week. So, there's still time for new ideas not yet mentioned...and the ideas posted here were very, very useful. (course, it means the finished video will be even longer :~).

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:10 pm »

The cameras used to shoot the first video are now vastly outclassed by what Chris is shooting with now. The first video was not finished as HD video. The codecs are better now as well. So yes, we decided to redo the whole thing (and will have lot's of all new content while still touching on what we did before).

We have over 1/2 shot already but will do additional shooting end of May to pick up stuff we didn't get last week. So, there's still time for new ideas not yet mentioned...and the ideas posted here were very, very useful. (course, it means the finished video will be even longer :~).

Sounds like good progress has been made.  There are a lot Schewe shirt fans waiting to see how sartorially resplendent you will appear on video!!! ;D

dmcginlay

• http://
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2011, 07:38:56 am »

Hey, New Contest.

Let's send Schewe all are old/unwanted Hawaiian shirts and Schewe gets to pick one or two or three and wears it/them during the shoot.

The winner (picked by Schewe) gets a free copy of the new 'Camera to Print' video.  ;D

Don

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:25 am »

Hey, New Contest.

Let's send Schewe all are old/unwanted Hawaiian shirts and Schewe gets to pick one or two or three and wears it/them during the shoot.

The winner (picked by Schewe) gets a free copy of the new 'Camera to Print' video.  ;D

Don
Good idea but one drawback.  I don't think any of mine would fit him!

wtlloyd

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2011, 01:02:01 am »

Oh, I don't know....are you basing this on the videos? Everyone knows the camera adds 10 pounds....

Good idea but one drawback.  I don't think any of mine would fit him!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2011, 12:33:08 pm »

Oh, I don't know....are you basing this on the videos? Everyone knows the camera adds 10 pounds....

Oh, there's no shortage of my shirts for this video...but if you happen to have any nice designs (I like Tommy Bahama designs a lot) in 3XLT send them along...I have dropped 50lbs in the last year, but I still like my shirts loose...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2011, 02:50:47 pm »

Oh, there's no shortage of my shirts for this video...but if you happen to have any nice designs (I like Tommy Bahama designs a lot) in 3XLT send them along...I have dropped 50lbs in the last year, but I still like my shirts loose...
Here's yet another way I've been trying my best to emulate Schewe. I've lost 20 lbs in three months, so I've got a ways to go.

Sorry i don't have any 3XLT shirts to send along.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2011, 06:39:29 pm »

One more idea for the videos (since this came up yet again today in a discussion I was having):

DPI vs. PPI, what size your image should be to print, and whether matching the PPI to some mythical "DPI" for the printer really matters.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

JimGoshorn

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2011, 07:04:22 pm »

I would like to see a discussion on how large a target is required to create a good printer profile and what patches it should contain.

Jim

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2011, 07:56:07 pm »

I would like to see a discussion on how large a target is required to create a good printer profile and what patches it should contain.

Jim
ROFL, this same question was just asked on the ArgyllCMS listserve.  The answer is going to be highly software dependent.  With ArgyllCMS you can run targets containing several thousand patches; but you better have an automatic chart reader to do it as it gets tedious really quickly doing it manually!

JimGoshorn

« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »

Up to this point, I have been using a 2 page 1053 patch target (I added 50 patches to an existing target) with PM 5 (probably upgrading to i1Profiler) and it seems to be working well. Would be interested to hear what Michael and Jeff have to say on the subject of profiling with X-Rite software.

Jim

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2011, 02:04:24 am »

All the bases have been covered above (at least for me), but admittedly, you've got a very hard act to follow.
Ralph

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:08 am »

Last Call!
We shoot the final segments today and tomorrow.
Many thanks to all who have contributed.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2011, 10:36:41 am »

Last Call!
We shoot the final segments today and tomorrow.
Many thanks to all who have contributed.
What is the ETA on the release?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up