Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leveling base for Gitzo 1548 GT?  (Read 5437 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Leveling base for Gitzo 1548 GT?
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »

Does Gitzo or anyone else make a leveling base for this tripod?

Thanks.

JeanMichel

Re: Leveling base for Gitzo 1548 GT?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:47:50 pm »

Hi,
I use an Acratech levelling base on a GT 2530. Very light. Perfect. Check http://acratech.net/
It costs about $170 Canadian.

Jean-Michel

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 05:51:16 pm »

Hi,
I use an Acratech levelling base on a GT 2530. Very light. Perfect. Check http://acratech.net/
It costs about $170 Canadian.

Jean-Michel
Light and, just like RRS's stuff, giving every impression of having been made by people who love it. It's just a lovely piece of kit to hold and use.

Jeremy

brianrybolt

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:27:30 am »

The Acratech gets my vote also.  I'm finding I use my tripod much more often since I've bought the leveling base - using it with my Gitzo.  Very light, strong, quick and easy.
Brian

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site

K.C.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:24:05 am »

I use one with a GT1548 MK2. I just took it out and weighed it. I get 540G on my digital scale.

So that would bring the legs and base to just under 8 lbs. total.

Pretty manageable even when I add on a ball head or a fluid head.

I should add it's a pleasure to use. I have had occasion to use the extra 5 degrees it has over the acratech.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:32:17 am by K.C. »

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:35:46 pm »

I use the Gitzo leveling base with the same tripod.  I also have the Gitzo Explorer, the first generation carbon fiber tripod that I used with everything until I got a 500mm F4, which is when I added the Gitzo 1548. Now, unless I'm going specifically for macros in a flower garden, I use the 1548 and the leveler for all my shooting.

I am 70 years old, but find the tripod, leveler, my 1DMkII and whatever lens are easy to carry on my shoulder, with the help of a foam pad.  The weight is more than the Explorer, but the added stability and usefulness of the leveler makes the combo a winner.

leuallen

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 10:01:40 am »

I have the Acratech leveling base and two Manfrotto bases - one lever style and other with three screw adjustments (avoid). Guess why I have three? To get one that I actually like - the Acratech. It is more expensive but would have been cheaper if I had bought it first. It is lighter, smaller, and the bubble level is much larger and easier to read. I have it on a small carbon  fiber tripod which it matches well.

Larry

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 02:44:58 pm »

Not sure if this gitzo uses the same size plate as the other systematic tripods, but if so you can also use the RRS leveling base (TA-3-LB) which is about 325 grams. While it nominally weighs more than the acratech base it actually turns out to be lighter because you replace the top plate. Mine seems to work fine, but I haven't really tested it thoroughly yet.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:47:00 pm by sbay »
Pages: [1]   Go Up