Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: building n-channel profile with colorport/profilemaker and EFI  (Read 2639 times)

MonsterBaby

i would like to build a profile for photoprinting with my Z3200 on HM baryta. i made a LIN thru XF and would now like to use a 2400 patches chart from colorport for my DTP20.

1) when "building" this chart im asked for the inklimit within colorport.. 200-700%.. should i use 700 as the LIN then limits it or should i put the 280% in there that i get from the LIN?

2) in the EFI canon paper it says to print the .eps on top of the activated LIN in XF but without CM.. that doenst work tho, as XF states multichannel .eps needs CM on.

if so.. and i turn it on it misses an embedded profile? of course.. ?

what now?

thnx for any help

MonsterBaby

Re: building n-channel profile with colorport/profilemaker and EFI
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:13:13 am »

thnx. so far i have found that the ink limit will only be done by the LIN tool.

so 700% for the profile should work

however.. colorproof doesnt recognize my CMYK-RGB... thats the problem.

so any idea of how to name the RGB ports in colorport? it works with profilemaker.. but my DTP 20 is not supported

yannb

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:28:03 am »

Hello,

Try this:
- Use Colorport 2.0.1
- Create your 7 channel target for the DTP20 and save the target. It will be a TIFF with CMYK+alpha channels.
- Open the target in Photoshop, and invert the alpha channels. These are your RGB channels. Save this file.
- Load the altered target file in EFI XF. On my version (4.5) the channels are properly recognized even without color management enabled.
- Print and measure

For DCS (EPS) to work properly in XF, you may need to open the file in Photoshop first, and rename the spot color channels from Channel 5, 6, 7 to Red, Green and Blue. Measuretool names these channels properly according to how you created the chart, the new i1Profiler doesn't.
Funny how Colorport 2.0.1 saves multichannel targets only as TIFF, and i1Profiler only uses DCS  ::)

Regards,
Yann
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:55:43 am by yannb »

MonsterBaby

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:11:06 am »

oh my god.!

this is really weird... the whole situation.. i spent 12 hours and 12 feet of paper already.. haha

i tried almost! everything.. like i could save .eps from 2.0.1 and open it in XF after!! i renamed the channels in PS.. i thought i had it!.. but then as soon as the rgb channels are in the profile the cyan channel is way to dark. although the rgb channels dont have any influence on cyan in PS when switching them off..

i couldnt open the tiff in PS i think.. i will try all you said later tho.. i got sick this morning and just rented an i1.. lol.. because the charts that profilemaker creates print fine right away!

also.. i have to "name" and set the RGB channels when creating the profile.. should i enter the "normal" values for blue and red and green.. or should i put the Lab values in there that EFI gives me after linearizaition? would make sense wouldnt it? as those are the channels actual colors

yannb

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:36 am »

also.. i have to "name" and set the RGB channels when creating the profile.. should i enter the "normal" values for blue and red and green.. or should i put the Lab values in there that EFI gives me after linearizaition? would make sense wouldnt it? as those are the channels actual colors

Hi,

I would indeed use correct LAB values for the channels when you generate the test chart.

On a side note: if you ask your EFI dealer a 30 days demo license code, you could create the multichannel profiles from within EFI XF.

Regards,
Yann

MonsterBaby

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:31:06 am »

the thing is, that i would like to use a larger chart then the ECI2002... thats why i wanted to use a third party app.. plus beeing able to use different mappings..

MonsterBaby

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:03 am »

NOW.. im about to kill myself.. now profilemaker doesnt see the rented i1... oh my goooood ??? ??? ???

all other apps see it

stretchdcanvas

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:31:32 am »

ECI2002 is absolutely not the patch to use for a 7-color profile.  ECI2002 is for a 4 color profile.

stretchdcanvas

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:36:53 am »

Are you in Multicolor mode in PMP?

MonsterBaby

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:02:08 am »

@stratch... there are no other charts in XF then ECI and it87... thats why im trying to do it myself.. lol

i cant get the profile maker to see the i1 at all in win7 64.. i can get access under my XP virtual machine. but the reading doesnt work..

stretchdcanvas

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:07:02 am »

XF is your rip?
Have you established individual color ink reductions and how did you get to them?
Did your rip have a cmykrgb linearisation file?

MonsterBaby

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:10:02 am »

@stretch.. yes.. yes.. and the right way ;-) :P

BINGOOOOO

yannB.. you are the BEST.. i owe you... the TIFF version worked!.. hahah.

finally printing the targets.. and they look at least like they should.. so hopefully this is gonna be the way..

XF prints them without CM as CMYK-RGB... LIN active.. yes!

MonsterBaby

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11:28 am »

and by the way.. what a shame that such a good piece of tool like the DTP20 vanished due to this

Pee of Pee... as in Piece of Plastic called I1...
Pages: [1]   Go Up