Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FW 800 Repeater for LEAF 75s and 800 questions.  (Read 1415 times)

IAR

FW 800 Repeater for LEAF 75s and 800 questions.
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:53:39 am »

Hi I'm looking for anyone who has experience using a Leaf back with a reliable FW repeater or
long cable.  I used to use a 30ft. Leaf cable which I had when I got the back.  When it died I switched to 15ft. Leaf cable > FW 800 repeater (unpowered) which
I believe the box says Kodak (no.518-02817A) > a straight FW 800 cable.  This configuration had been fine for 2 years but it's getting iffy for connecting.

Should I get another 30ft. from Leaf - the end has that 90degree bit so I guess it has to be Leaf?  Or what are others doing with their backs.  I need to
get something else in place asap.  Please chime in with what works for you.  I need the 30ft. length so 15ft is no good.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: FW 800 Repeater for LEAF 75s and 800 questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:15 pm »

Hi I'm looking for anyone who has experience using a Leaf back with a reliable FW repeater or
long cable.  I used to use a 30ft. Leaf cable which I had when I got the back.  When it died I switched to 15ft. Leaf cable > FW 800 repeater (unpowered) which
I believe the box says Kodak (no.518-02817A) > a straight FW 800 cable.  This configuration had been fine for 2 years but it's getting iffy for connecting.

Should I get another 30ft. from Leaf - the end has that 90degree bit so I guess it has to be Leaf?  Or what are others doing with their backs.  I need to
get something else in place asap.  Please chime in with what works for you.  I need the 30ft. length so 15ft is no good.

My guess is that it is one of the cables. There's not much that can go wrong with the repeater unless you constantly plug the cables in/ out

I'd order a 15ft (4.5m) cable and try it an either ends of the chain to eliminate the broken one. The 10m is more expensive of course

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:29:58 am »

A lot depends on your computer. If you're using an iMac or a laptop, as opposed to a tower, then inconsistent firewire output can result. If you need more than 15' length, and you're on an iMac or laptop, your safest best would be a powered hub with (2) 15' cables from each end. If you're on a tower, then the 30' Leaf cable may suffice without a powered hub, but it is expensive (though if you add up a powered hub and (2) leaf 15' firewire cables, you'll exceed the cost of (1) Leaf 30' firewire cable).

We've had many situations where a client was using iMacs and having connection issues. In the vast majority of cases, once a powered hub was implemented, the connection problems went away. There are fw400 and fw800 versions we've tested and had good results with that is listed in our eStore. (8 rows down)

http://www.captureintegration.com/store/phase-one-accessories/

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

IAR

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:15:50 pm »

Thanks Steve/Yair,

I am using a Mac Pro Tower, this is for a studio setup.   I did some further testing and for sure my 30' Leaf cable is no good but the two 15' I have
and other 2 15' non-Leaf cables are good.  The repeater I have looks like the one you have on your site, I think I'll have to order a new one as it looks to
be the problem.  I never had it plugged into AC before and had no problems (does it just make it a connector if unpowered?) anyways I used some older FW 800 > 400 through a FW400 repeater I had and it's doing the trick for now.  I really liked having just the 30' so I may go that route as well.  Thanks again for everyone's input.

Pages: [1]   Go Up